Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 27, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #9,631 of 13,350
Because I want to listen to my headphone and just relax in my bed when I don't want to blast music to the "whole house", and also, as far as the headphone jack, Schiit is better then the marantz headphone jack.
Plus it's too far away from my bed so, I want to somehow get my Schiit to work with the radio, not just my Apple TV

Then you probably want to take the Marantz's Analog L&R outputs to the Magni inputs.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #9,634 of 13,350
i'm reporting in to say magni 2 uber works fine with my he-400i in terms of powering them. I don't lose anything powering this from the 2 uber against the WA fireflies.

Maybe the fireflies are indeed better but, nobody (me) is not losing any sleep from powering the 400i from my magni 2 uber. Also, the magni 2 uber pairs really well with the sr325e. I think in general the magni 2 uber just pairs well with either warm-ish headphones, or rolled-off trebles headphones.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #9,635 of 13,350
Quick! Should I go with a Fostex T50RP (with mod kit) or modded Grado SR-60? I'm leaning towards the Fostex, because I've heard good things about how it scales with the mods. Probably getting one of these in exchange for an old laptop.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #9,637 of 13,350
  T50RP all the way.

That's what I was thinkin'!
beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #9,640 of 13,350
  I agree with one caveat. Of all the headphones I own, these are the only ones I need to equalize. I boost the bass and I turn down the 1 khz range to reduce the honk and shout.

I'm totally new to the mods. I don't even know what will be included in the mod kit, but I'm assuming it's all I would need, unless there are many other mods out there that do even better things.

I also don't know whether I would prefer the T50RP in any way over the HD 700, which I should receive next week.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #9,641 of 13,350

I'm totally new to the mods. I don't even know what will be included in the mod kit, but I'm assuming it's all I would need, unless there are many other mods out there that do even better things.

I also don't know whether I would prefer the T50RP in any way over the HD 700, which I should receive next week.

i saw somebody else's ads on classified sale on hd700 and saw you bought their pair. has it arrived?
congratulations. hd700 looks sharp, in fact, on looks alone, i like their unique look better than the hd800...

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #9,642 of 13,350

Go visit this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

There is a bunch of information and tests done on pads as well as other mods.  Some of the people in there should be helpful as well.

Good luck with the HD700.  It is a very bright headphone and too bright for a lot of people.  I liked it a lot when I auditioned it, but I'm aiming for the T1 next.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #9,643 of 13,350

I did the modeling clay, cotton, and felt mod. There was subtle improvement, but nothing drastic. I think a lot of people romanticize the T50RPs too much. The reality is they are a weak headphone that can be made less weak by modding them. The modding is fun and educational, and gives us more of a real hands-on component to the hobby, but it doesn't work miracles. MrSpeakers got everything he could out of the drivers, but I still think people make too much out of his mods. The driver is an old design that has severe limitations and lacks many technicalities. It's extremely shouty that shows its budget bloodline.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #9,644 of 13,350
  i saw somebody else's ads on classified sale on hd700 and saw you bought their pair. has it arrived?
congratulations. hd700 looks sharp, in fact, on looks alone, i like their unique look better than the hd800...

I get so much random publicity on this site! I practically have my own fan club in some threads. XD

In my post that you quoted, I said "which I should receive next week."

Go visit this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

There is a bunch of information and tests done on pads as well as other mods.  Some of the people in there should be helpful as well.

Good luck with the HD700.  It is a very bright headphone and too bright for a lot of people.  I liked it a lot when I auditioned it, but I'm aiming for the T1 next.

Thanks for the link!

Oddly enough, my best Head-Fi friend is an HD 800 freak who always talks about how neutral the HD 800 is...yet he mentioned that he thinks the HD 700 is even more neutral than the HD 600, despite its quirks. This is the first I've seen anyone say that. I'm enjoying the Sony MDR-7506, which has some nasty peaks, and also enjoyed the Bose QC15 for years, which has really bad sibilance sometimes...so I don't think I'll have too many gripes about the HD 700. I can always tame any unwanted brightness with EQ.

I did the modeling clay, cotton, and felt mod. There was subtle improvement, but nothing drastic. I think a lot of people romanticize the T50RPs too much. The reality is they are a weak headphone that can be made less weak by modding them. The modding is fun and educational, and gives us more of a real hands-on component to the hobby, but it doesn't work miracles. MrSpeakers got everything he could out of the drivers, but I still think people make too much out of his mods. The driver is an old design that has severe limitations and lacks many technicalities. It's extremely shouty that shows its budget bloodline.

So I guess I probably won't prefer it over the HD 700 on any songs. No matter...not spending any cash on the T50RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back