Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 27, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #9,616 of 13,350
Would the new modi with the coaxl input be good to use mainly with a marantz radio?
I recently found out testing inbetween my Apple TV optical audio and Marantz sr5009 headphone jack, the Schiit was better, and I've been wanting to also listen to the radio with earbuds, but, can't reach.
So would a coaxl cable with the new modi work?
Thanks

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #9,618 of 13,350
  If the amp can reach the spec'd power at the spec'd impedance then it has to be able to supply both required the voltage and current or else it won't reach the power as the they are all related.
P = E2/R
P = I2*R
P = I*E
Easy math.

Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone just told me this:

No that's not true.
Power = voltage x current
Voltage can be high while current is low and it would have power X.
Voltage can be low while current is high and it would have power X.
If an op-amp is current-limited, which is likely to happen, then your headphone would just be receiving more voltage instead of current from what I understand.

Um, What do you mean by "No that's not true?"
P = Power
I = Current
E = Voltage
Those are standard identifiers,
So P = I*E is the same as Power = voltage x current

Also your assumption about opamps is flawed, an opamp is both current and voltage limited. It is voltage limited by the power supply (and the opamp's output stage voltage drop) as well as by it's supply voltage limits (spec). Likewise it is limited in its output current capacity, also specified. It also has power dissipation limits. Exceed any of these limits and you will experience clipping. Also temperature plays a role in specs. So if you exceed the opamp's current limits you will not get more voltage instead. The voltage is determined by the gain and constrained by the limits of the opamp/circuit.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #9,623 of 13,350
I'm using the last Schiit models of the modi and magi, so would the coaxl input make it so I could connect it by coaxl to my stereo?

Your stereo has a coax SPIDF input? That would mean that your stereo already has a DAC, no telling if it's worth a Schiit.
Somehow I doubt that your stereo has a DPIDF input, I could be wrong as some do, Do not confuse this with your RCA line input jacks,
This would serve the same function as the Modi 2 Uber.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #9,624 of 13,350
Ok, well couldn't I just plug it into the headphone jack? I don't know if my Marantz sr5009 has a "output" coaxl, it only has a input optical audio
Your stereo has a coax SPIDF input? That would mean that your stereo already has a DAC, no telling if it's worth a Schiit.
Somehow I doubt that your stereo has a DPIDF input, I could be wrong as some do, Do not confuse this with your RCA line input jacks,
This would serve the same function as the Modi 2 Uber.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #9,625 of 13,350
Ok, well couldn't I just plug it into the headphone jack? I don't know if my Marantz sr5009 has a "output" coaxl, it only has a input optical audio

What is your digital source?
For example you could take your computer digital output being USB or SPIDF (optical or coax) to the Modi 2 Uber and from there an RCA stereo interconnect to a Magni 2 Uber and anpther RCA interconnect from the Magni's preamp out to your Marantz line input (aux).

I just took a peek at your Marantz.It has it's own DAC with both coax and optical inputs. 
It also says in the overview, "On the front panel, there's a convenient USB port that lets you stream tunes from your iPod®, iPod touch, or iPad and charge it at the same time. You can also listen to MP3 and WMA tracks from a USB or NAS device."
The USB port is not listed in the specs so I can't tell if it's good for USB Audio or is just used to read files. I suspect that it can do both, read files and do USB Audio form an iDevice with a CCK cable. If that's the case it might even do Android or a PC.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #9,626 of 13,350
Received my M&M 2 stack recently (both Ubers, with the PYST RCA cables). They both look and sound fantastic with my HD590s.

Compared to my previous DAC/amp (a NuForce uDAC2) this pile of Schiit sounds more musical and detailed, tighter bass - it just ups everything. :D

Music Alchemist: Earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another Schiit-thread, possibly, I've been trying to catch up on things after deciding on and ordering my M&Ms), you wrote about the HD590s, but I didn't catch your thoughts about them combined with the M&M? I think the combination sounds great, but I haven't got much experience with any other headphone.

What headphone would be the next substantial step up in SQ from them using the M&M?

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #9,627 of 13,350
My digital source is just my optical audio from my Apple TV to the Schiit, but, Schiit is better then the headphone jack on my marantz , so I'm just wanting to have it so I can use it with my radio as well, so
"Marantz to Schiit " but, if the new modi 2? If the coaxl input would work with just plugging that into the headphone jack on the marantz? It dosnt have allot of outputs,
What is your digital source?
For example you could take your computer digital output being USB or SPIDF (optical or coax) to the Modi 2 Uber and from there an RCA stereo interconnect to a Magni 2 Uber and anpther RCA interconnect from the Magni's preamp out to your Marantz line input (aux).

I just took a peek at your Marantz.It has it's own DAC with both coax and optical inputs. 
It also says in the overview, "On the front panel, there's a convenient USB port that lets you stream tunes from your iPod®
, iPod touch, or iPad and charge it at the same time. You can also listen to MP3 and WMA tracks from a USB or NAS device."
The USB port is not listed in the specs so I can't tell if it's good for USB Audio or is just used to read files. I suspect that it can do both, read files and do USB Audio form an iDevice with a CCK cable. If that's the case it might even do Android or a PC.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #9,628 of 13,350
Earlier in this thread (or maybe it was another Schiit-thread, possibly, I've been trying to catch up on things after deciding on and ordering my M&Ms), you wrote about the HD590s, but I didn't catch your thoughts about them combined with the M&M? I think the combination sounds great, but I haven't got much experience with any other headphone.

What headphone would be the next substantial step up in SQ from them using the M&M?

I suspected that something was wrong with the HD 590 I had. It sounded fine enough with acoustic music, but with everything else, it sounded extremely muffled, like I was listening to music from outside a building. All the reviews talked about how it was bright, detailed, and exciting, but it sounded the opposite to me, whether amped or unamped.

I'm actually getting a Sennheiser HD 700 very soon. (Then a HiFiMAN HE-500, STAX SR-207, and JVC HA-SZ2000 later.)

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #9,629 of 13,350
My digital source is just my optical audio from my Apple TV to the Schiit, but, Schiit is better then the headphone jack on my marantz , so I'm just wanting to have it so I can use it with my radio as well, so
"Marantz to Schiit " but, if the new modi 2? If the coaxl input would work with just plugging that into the headphone jack on the marantz? It dosnt have allot of outputs,

A coax (SPDIF) input does not plug into a headphone jack. The coax is digital. Why Marantz to Schiit?

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #9,630 of 13,350
Because I want to listen to my headphone and just relax in my bed when I don't want to blast music to the "whole house", and also, as far as the headphone jack, Schiit is better then the marantz headphone jack.
Plus it's too far away from my bed so, I want to somehow get my Schiit to work with the radio, not just my Apple TV
A coax (SPDIF) input does not plug into a headphone jack. The coax is digital. Why Marantz to Schiit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back