Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #8,041 of 13,350
I'm not sure for that one, but I would guess it reduces the original recording volume and takes away some of the detail if you try to play it at the original volume, but if you play it at the volume you have it set for on the computer it should sound just fine. Then again, I don't know much about what I'm talking about now, so this is all speculative.

Yeah, when I watch youtube, I don't even use my Magni or Modi, I just plug some earbuds into the headphone output. For movies though, I like to get the full experience, so I dim the lights, crank up the volume, and power on my Magni/Modi

speculation is fine really!

let me reiterate again...

by "if you try to play it at original volume" you meant if i set the windows OS SPDIF volume at 30, and then i set the magni at 12 or 1 o'clock, that's artificially amplifying 30% PC signal to half of magni full power....

while what im using now, SPDIF at 25 and modi at 8 o'clock... that's just forwarding similar level of signal...

is that what you mean?

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #8,043 of 13,350
speculation is fine really!

let me reiterate again...

by "if you try to play it at original volume" you meant if i set the windows OS SPDIF volume at 30, and then i set the magni at 12 or 1 o'clock, that's artificially amplifying 30% PC signal to half of magni full power....

while what im using now, SPDIF at 25 and modi at 8 o'clock... that's just forwarding similar level of signal...

is that what you mean?
yup, what you're doing should be totally fine, just if you ever run into a quieter recording, be sure to turn the computer volume up rather than the amp.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #8,045 of 13,350
Alright, so balanced. What does it mean? What does it do for the music and your headphones? I keep hearing people say stuff about how balanced is a whole new entrance into hi-fidelity music listening. For my long term goal, I would love to get the Mjolnir and Gungnir, but I'd like to learn everything about balanced audio before I get into it, cause I could just stick with the Bifrost/Lyr2 combo as an end-game performance level setup if the benefits won't be worth the extra money.
Short answer: only worry about balanced if you have a balanced pair of headphones AND you like the sound of a balanced amplifier.

Longer answer: balanced is about circuit design. "Normal" single ended headphones have three contacts on the connector. Left, Right, and Ground. The ground is shared for both channels in both the amplifier and the headphones. In a balanced setup, you have four connections. Left+, Left-, Right+, and Right-. Separating the ground of each channel offers the engineer a different set of tools to work around problems with his/her design. To you, it hardly matters at all. If it sounds good, it's good.

Regarding Mjolnir, it is a teeny bit important to note that the circuit topology is inherently balanced, which means that you CANNOT use single ended headphones with it. Schiit built a protection system to protect the amp, but if you try to get around this and cross some wires, that would be no bueno.

PSEDIT: Sound Science has been over this a few times. You could probably read an old thread if you wanted some more information.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #8,046 of 13,350
Fast-Forwarding... oh, look! The end! 
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #8,048 of 13,350
  You missed out on contributing to the monkey business

Power outage followed by a dead UPS have me otherwise occupied.  I did buy one that produces a pure sine wave, so my PC and Schiit should be happy.  And for $10 extra I get it tomorrow.  Since my Lyr has been running nearly 24/7 for quite a while burning in tubes, I'm giving it all a 24+ hour break.

I sure hope Rangy can lift that old UPS and cable up the new one.  I'll spare him the pain of figuring out the management software.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #8,049 of 13,350

Power outage followed by a dead UPS have me otherwise occupied.  I did buy one that produces a pure sine wave, so my PC and Schiit should be happy.  And for $10 extra I get it tomorrow.  Since my Lyr has been running nearly 24/7 for quite a while burning in tubes, I'm giving it all a 24+ hour break.

I sure hope Rangy can lift that old UPS and cable up the new one.  I'll spare him the pain of figuring out the management software.

Replacing tubes or trying something altogether new? Rangy wants the Lyr once you get yourself a new Rag. There will be no rolling with a Rag.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #8,050 of 13,350
I love my Ragnarok but every night, around 2am, I listen to my beloved lyr 2. The Ragnarok, in balanced out is just brilliant However the rag's SE output does not sound as good as my lyr2 SE, especially if I have my Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes going.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #8,051 of 13,350
yup, what you're doing should be totally fine, just if you ever run into a quieter recording, be sure to turn the computer volume up rather than the amp.

thanks! i've learned a lot of new things so thank you.
thanks to madwolfa and stanD too for the explanations a couple days ago...

Quote:
  Replacing tubes or trying something altogether new? Rangy wants the Lyr once you get yourself a new Rag. There will be no rolling with a Rag.

my uber arrived!

after it arrived in the local airport, Somebody called me about priority line. The goods were then delivered 2 weeks early in exchange for a $100. that was yesterday. yeay!!

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #8,053 of 13,350
Thats messed up that you have to pay customs money to get an item that should be allowed into your country for free. The way some countries handle international commerce is pretty sad.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #8,054 of 13,350
O.o $100?

that's $100 on bumping the waiting line for customs checking that's supposed to be 7-14 days. workdays. 14 work days is 3 weeks mate!

so yeah, that's on top of them taxes... Fedex will deliver me their invoice in 2 weeks (idk why they cant just deliver them at the same day). but my calculation they charge broker fee $15 warehouse charge $10 and 40-something % of taxes on top of that.

thank you local fedex! as long as it's a modestly priced item, you guys are the best.
though im not gonna use you for something that'll cost me upward of a grand

Thats messed up that you have to pay customs money to get an item that should be allowed into your country for free. The way some countries handle international commerce is pretty sad.

schiit told me that to my region, not just this country but to the region, a large majority (they said 90% on one of their posts) of the transactions originating from the region is frauds. hahahahaha. that made me laugh out loud.

but i can't say that's entirely wrong. there's probably a lot of indecent stuffs going on starting from the goods enter the country.  so third party consignee service / forwarder are thriving like mad here.

i rarely use them due to complications regarding warranty though.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #8,055 of 13,350
Wow. And the little things we take for granted , here in the US. That's terrible what you have to go through.
that's $100 on bumping the waiting line for customs checking that's supposed to be 7-14 days. workdays. 14 work days is 3 weeks mate!

so yeah, that's on top of them taxes... Fedex will deliver me their invoice in 2 weeks (idk why they cant just deliver them at the same day). but my calculation they charge broker fee $15 warehouse charge $10 and 40-something % of taxes on top of that.

thank you local fedex! as long as it's a modestly priced item, you guys are the best.
though im not gonna use you for something that'll cost me upward of a grand

schiit told me that to my region, not just this country but to the region, a large majority (they said 90% on one of their posts) of the transactions originating from the region is frauds. hahahahaha. that made me laugh out loud.

but i can't say that's entirely wrong. there's probably a lot of indecent stuffs going on starting from the goods enter the country.  so third party consignee service / forwarder are thriving like mad here.

i rarely use them due to complications regarding warranty though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back