Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #8,026 of 13,350
yup, after 10 seconds the muting relay clicks on and off, perfectly normal. I always plug my headphones in after the muting relay turns off, and before I shut the amp off, just out of habit.

my english aren't the best sorry. apologize to reiterate what you say...so you plug the headphones in 10 seconds after your magni is on?
also you plug the headphones off... before you turn off the magni?

is that what you meant? hehehe. im sorry for the dumb question.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #8,027 of 13,350
my english aren't the best sorry. apologize to reiterate what you say...so you plug the headphones in 10 seconds after your magni is on?
also you plug the headphones off... before you turn off the magni?

is that what you meant? hehehe. im sorry for the dumb question.

Yup, you'll hear a click after you flip the switch on. And it's all good, your english is adorable! :3

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #8,028 of 13,350
Yup, you'll hear a click after you flip the switch on. And it's all good, your english is adorable! :3

thanks!

will i hear clicks when turning the magni off / pc off?

i don't really worry about the on so much as worry about the off because... you know, sometimes you just restart your pc without thinking.

is it a good practice to plug off the headphone before turning off the PC? or is it perfectly safe to just leave the headphone plugged while turning magni / PC off?

so, on your previous post, i take it you plugged the headphone off before turning your pc off?

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #8,029 of 13,350
thanks!

will i hear clicks when turning the magni off / pc off?

i don't really worry about the on so much as worry about the off because... you know, sometimes you just restart your pc without thinking.

is it a good practice to plug off the headphone before turning off the PC? or is it perfectly safe to just leave the headphone plugged while turning magni / PC off?

so, on your previous post, i take it you plugged the headphone off before turning your pc off?

I always unplug the DAC from the computer, unplug my headphones, shut my amp off, abd then close my laptop.
For startup, I turn the computer on, plug the DAC in, turn the amp on, and then plug headphones in.

On Schiit's site, they say you can leave your headphones plugged in all the time. I just don't have anywhere to put em while they're plugged in. They're built to be safe for your headphones, so you can leave em plugged in and turn the amp on and off and nothing bad will ever happen.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #8,030 of 13,350
I always unplug the DAC from the computer, unplug my headphones, shut my amp off, abd then close my laptop.
For startup, I turn the computer on, plug the DAC in, turn the amp on, and then plug headphones in.

On Schiit's site, they say you can leave your headphones plugged in all the time. I just don't have anywhere to put em while they're plugged in. They're built to be safe for your headphones, so you can leave em plugged in and turn the amp on and off and nothing bad will ever happen.

the thump is pretty loud on magni 2 uber. other than that it's all good!

is it loud on your magni as well?

i have a 32 ohm grado and a 16 ohm mdr-ma900. it's louder on the 16 ohm i think. i was pretty surprised!!

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #8,031 of 13,350
the thump is pretty loud on magni 2 uber. other than that it's all good!

is it loud on your magni as well?

i have a 32 ohm grado and a 16 ohm mdr-ma900. it's louder on the 16 ohm i think. i was pretty surprised!!

I never hear it since I always unplug before turning off, but it's discharging power, so I wouldn't be surprised that it's louder on the lower impendance phones. I've got a grado as well, and sometimes I find it difficult to get a good volume in the Magni, since moving the volume knob increases volume way too much. Of course, they fixed that with the gain switch on the Magni2/uber, but I don't have em and probably won't ever get em.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #8,032 of 13,350
I never hear it since I always unplug before turning off, but it's discharging power, so I wouldn't be surprised that it's louder on the lower impendance phones. I've got a grado as well, and sometimes I find it difficult to get a good volume in the Magni, since moving the volume knob increases volume way too much. Of course, they fixed that with the gain switch on the Magni2/uber, but I don't have em and probably won't ever get em.

now that im using it. for grado or my ma-900, i think it's better to get magni 2 for budget-fi people if they never plan on buying a high impedance headphone ever. it's really hard to get a listenable volume for me on magni 2 uber (1.5W vs asgard2 1.0W). wow.

im a low volume listener from the get-go. my fiio e10k potentiometer is at 0.8 (<1.0) out of 8.

i listen on a low volume and long-hours.
with 2 uber, a little to the right is too loud for me. turn some more to the left is off.
in between the two, the volume is too little and a little off-center.

does a given amp, when the volume pot is turn very little, the sound will be off-center?
or is it just my feeling?

ps: i ended up using science to achieve a listenable not too loud volume on the magni in the end... and now it's all good..

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,033 of 13,350
now that im using it. for grado or my ma-900, i think it's better to get magni 2 for budget-fi people if they never plan on buying a high impedance headphone ever. it's really hard to get a listenable volume for me on magni 2 uber (1.5W vs asgard2 1.0W). wow.

im a low volume listener from the get-go. my fiio e10k potentiometer is at 0.8 (<1.0) out of 8.

i listen on a low volume and long-hours.
with 2 uber, a little to the right is too loud for me. turn some more to the left is off.
in between the two, the volume is too little and a little off-center.

does a given amp, when the volume pot is turn very little, the sound will be off-center?
or is it just my feeling?

ps: i ended up using science to achieve a listenable not too loud volume on the magni in the end... and now it's all good..

Having the gain switch on LOW will allow for the Magni to put out a little less power, so you can get the knob turned further for the same volume, and have more control over the volume. I'm hoping that my power hungry HiFiMAN's will allow me to turn the knob more so I can fine tune the volume I want.
I also have the Beyerdynamic DT990 PROs, and between them and the Grados, I'd say I can turn the knob about three times further on the Beyers until my ears can't take it. The grados have about 1/10th of the full range of the colume knob, and it's really annoying. Hopefully when I get the Lyr2 next year, all those problems will dissappear.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #8,034 of 13,350
Also, Rovo, you should put that into your signature.

ROVOPIO USES SCIENCE TO LISTEN

I'm losing my ***** :D

And yes, listening at very low volumes can sometimes cause channel imbalance, making one channel louder than the other. Just turn the input volume down on your computer a bit, and turn the amp up a smidge

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #8,035 of 13,350
Also, Rovo, you should put that into your signature.

ROVOPIO USES SCIENCE TO LISTEN

I'm losing my *****
biggrin.gif

And yes, listening at very low volumes can sometimes cause channel imbalance, making one channel louder than the other. Just turn the input volume down on your computer a bit, and turn the amp up a smidge

yeah i used a ruler to slide it per milimeter.

oh!! very low volumes cause channel imbalance. that's new knowledge. thanks!

okay... the SPDIF interface bar on windows is automatically at 100%.
when i turn it down at 25% only then i get magni 2 uber channel balance on my ma900

i'd like to ask one question about that though... so with external usb DAC, it always automatic at 100%. what's the effect if i turn it down to 50, or in my case 25%? does it becomes less pure or less accurate analog conversion or less something?

and does it affect the sound in a significant way?

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #8,036 of 13,350
yeah i used a ruler to slide it per milimeter.

oh!! very low volumes cause channel imbalance. that's new knowledge. thanks!

okay... the SPDIF interface bar on windows is automatically at 100%.
when i turn it down at 25% only then i get magni 2 uber channel balance on my ma900

i'd like to ask one question about that though... so with external usb DAC, it always automatic at 100%. what's the effect if i turn it down to 50, or in my case 25%? does it becomes less pure or less accurate analog conversion or less something?

and does it affect the sound in a significant way?

Well, from what I know, the signal goes at 100% through the computer and DAC, so the amp has control over the full dynamic range of the sound. Once you start taking volume away from the source, you're artificially amplifying it the higher it goes on the amp itself. Or something along those lines. That's why I keep the audio from the computer at 100%, so the amp has complete control over the volume. I could be wrong, but so long as you don't reduce the volume on the computer to levels like 10% or less, and then crank up the amp pretty high, the sound should remain fairly high quality. In the case I just mentioned, I'd guess that there would be a lot of distortion ir just plain compressed sound. You should be fine at 25%+ volume on the computer

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #8,037 of 13,350
Well, from what I know, the signal goes at 100% through the computer and DAC, so the amp has control over the full dynamic range of the sound. Once you start taking volume away from the source, you're artificially amplifying it the higher it goes on the amp itself. Or something along those lines. That's why I keep the audio from the computer at 100%, so the amp has complete control over the volume. I could be wrong, but so long as you don't reduce the volume on the computer to levels like 10% or less, and then crank up the amp pretty high, the sound should remain fairly high quality. In the case I just mentioned, I'd guess that there would be a lot of distortion ir just plain compressed sound. You should be fine at 25%+ volume on the computer

yeah 50 isn't enough for me. i listen  in somewhat low volume than average people.

OTOH, my dt880 is still stranded in osaka

12/25/2014 15:29 Posting/Collection
12/26/2014 05:04 Dispatch from outward office of exchange

i have a question about artifically amplifying. say i put it at 30. so the signal goes windows OS 30 -> dac 30 -> amp 30*pot roll

if i dont use anything, it goes windows OS 30 -> integrated dac 30 -> integrated amp 30?
is that right?

because i've lived with direct to motherboard at <30 for a long time before.
so if that's how it goes, i really don't mind the signal at 30 with the external dac -> magni 2 uber...

does my Question make any sense to you?
haha!

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #8,038 of 13,350
Yup, the question makes sense, and I think at low level listening volumes you should be cool with that setup. It'll be a lot easier to get low volume listening with the higher impendance Beyers once they get back, and then you'll be back in business!

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #8,039 of 13,350
Yup, the question makes sense, and I think at low level listening volumes you should be cool with that setup. It'll be a lot easier to get low volume listening with the higher impendance Beyers once they get back, and then you'll be back in business!

alright last question, out of curiousity... when i set the windows OS SPDIF volume at 30 instead of 100, does it initially send a 100 signal and then the computer destroy it at 30 when going through to the DAC... so 70 loss, or it's just output 30 from the get-go...? not full 100...

i like watching videos using ma-900 actually. i know that dt880 will be used primarily for music. nothing is better than ma-900 for videos in terms of comfort. YMMV but for me, the headphone disappear.

thanks for being really helpful!

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #8,040 of 13,350
I'm not sure for that one, but I would guess it reduces the original recording volume and takes away some of the detail if you try to play it at the original volume, but if you play it at the volume you have it set for on the computer it should sound just fine. Then again, I don't know much about what I'm talking about now, so this is all speculative.

Yeah, when I watch youtube, I don't even use my Magni or Modi, I just plug some earbuds into the headphone output. For movies though, I like to get the full experience, so I dim the lights, crank up the volume, and power on my Magni/Modi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back