Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,831 of 13,350
markm1, if you already have the Sonos setup, I can see why you would want to do the external DAC.  External DACs, especially a well-respected one like Bifrost, are typically much better than those in the streamers.  I use an external DAC with my primary Squeezebox.  What would you be using for a HP amp?  My only question about your setup is how you would feed both a HP amp and your receiver from the Bifrost, or are you using the receiver as the HP amp?  If your receiver has an analog output you could probably go analog out from the receiver to your HP amp without any real issue (assuming the receiver doesn't totally suck!).

As for PC-Bifrost-receiver, that would work if you have the Bifrost's USB module.  Lots of considerations there (like music software, setup, and support for asynchronous USB connections or high resolution music files), so you'll have to do some more research into the specifics.  The short answer is that people do use the Bifrost as a USB DAC.

You only need the USB module if your PC lacks an S/PDIF or Toslink output. If you have one of those, skip the USB option and save yourself $100. The USB section is somewhat inferior to the coax and optical inputs IMO. I have experienced artifacts in the output with USB on the PC and Mac so it's not just my setup.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,832 of 13,350
Quote:
Yes, I run my Bifrost from my PC into a receiver. I have no problems with it. I don't know a lot about the Sonos and whether or not it allows you to set an outgoing sample rate/bit depth, so most likely everything you'd send to the Bifrost from it would be sent at 44.1/16 but if that isn't a problem there is no reason the Bifrost wouldn't work. The Bifrost doesn't need to be attached to a PC/MAC to function at all, it is perfectly capable of being used standalone. The only thing that sucks about using it this way is that the control options are very minimal and you can basically change sources and that is it. You can't set it to upsample or downsample or view the current rate via LEDs or an LCD or any of that useful stuff which is probably why people will opt for pricier DACs like the PWD2.

Quote:
markm1, if you already have the Sonos setup, I can see why you would want to do the external DAC.  External DACs, especially a well-respected one like Bifrost, are typically much better than those in the streamers.  I use an external DAC with my primary Squeezebox.  What would you be using for a HP amp?  My only question about your setup is how you would feed both a HP amp and your receiver from the Bifrost, or are you using the receiver as the HP amp?  If your receiver has an analog output you could probably go analog out from the receiver to your HP amp without any real issue (assuming the receiver doesn't totally suck!).

As for PC-Bifrost-receiver, that would work if you have the Bifrost's USB module.  Lots of considerations there (like music software, setup, and support for asynchronous USB connections or high resolution music files), so you'll have to do some more research into the specifics.  The short answer is that people do use the Bifrost as a USB DAC.

I've got an Asgard 2 on back order which will be HP amp. Yes, I was thinking that I could use the receiver as the HP amp if I needed to. The reciever has analog outputs. And, yes, if I tried going PC-Bifrost-Reciever, I'd get the USB module.

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #1,833 of 13,350
The only thing that sucks about using it this way is that the control options are very minimal and you can basically change sources and that is it. You can't set it to upsample or downsample or view the current rate via LEDs or an LCD or any of that useful stuff which is probably why people will opt for pricier DACs like the PWD2.

OK-now it's making a bit more sense. Never having owned a DAC, I'm trying to visualize the connections component to component from what I've read on-line vs having real experience.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,834 of 13,350
Quote:
You only need the USB module if your PC lacks an S/PDIF or Toslink output. If you have one of those, skip the USB option and save yourself $100. The USB section is somewhat inferior to the coax and optical inputs IMO. I have experienced artifacts in the output with USB on the PC and Mac so it's not just my setup.

That's interesting..I have the Macbook Air and I was told to use the USB port on the left hand side since it was the "cleanest" source of sound. Hence I bought the Bifrost with the USB option. Are you recommending I use the headphone out instead ?

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,835 of 13,350
Quote:
That's interesting..I have the Macbook Air and I was told to use the USB port on the left hand side since it was the "cleanest" source of sound. Hence I bought the Bifrost with the USB option. Are you recommending I use the headphone out instead ?

The Macbook Air does not have an optical out buried in the headphone jack. USB is your only choice.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #1,836 of 13,350
Quote:

The MacBook Air doesn't have a toslink output.   You did the right thing.

Edit: Radioking59 got there first 
smile.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,838 of 13,350
Quote:
Bifrost/Lyr is now full effect. Very nice thru He-500. Time for some burn-in. Signing out!

Congrats Gerald, could you please share your experience with the setup? I have a Bifrost and Lyr, and I will be looking to get the HE-500s soon. Thanks!

Quote:
Hello Lyr owners,

Got myself a Lyr yesterday with stock GEs. If this question has been asked before, I apologize. The question is: what sort of a time frame should I expect to expect for the tubes to "mature" and the SQ to hopefully settle at a better level. BTW, I have a Bifrost as the DAC.

Thanks

Well all tubes from Schiit are NOS which means they have not been used, therefore they might need some time to burn in but i don't think its too much (im no expert either). You could consult Schiit Lyr - The Tube Rolling Thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

Its probably the best and most useful thread i have encountered here so far. However I need to warn you.. be prepared to spend more money on tubes as soon as you open the link
k701smile.gif
 Head-fi works in misterius ways... its the ultimate tool to influence consumer behavior and encourage action.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,839 of 13,350
I ordered an asgard 2 and bitfrost and their website says the asgard is delayed until 4/12 which was bumped up from the original 4/5.  I'm getting extremely impatient already and it's only been 2 days since I ordered... lol.

Anyone find that they ship out when they say these days?

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,840 of 13,350
Quote:

Congrats Gerald, could you please share your experience with the setup? I have a Bifrost and Lyr, and I will be looking to get the HE-500s soon. Thanks!

Well all tubes from Schiit are NOS which means they have not been used, therefore they might need some time to burn in but i don't think its too much (im no expert either). You could consult Schiit Lyr - The Tube Rolling Thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

Its probably the best and most useful thread i have encountered here so far. However I need to warn you.. be prepared to spend more money on tubes as soon as you open the link
k701smile.gif
 Head-fi works in misterius ways... its the ultimate tool to influence consumer behavior and encourage action.

I"m loving it, even with stock tubes the sound clean and dynamic. Thats with maybe 30 hours of break-in.

I"m loving it, even with stock tubes the sound is clean and dynamic. Thats with maybe 30 hours of break-in.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,841 of 13,350
Quote:
I ordered an asgard 2 and bitfrost and their website says the asgard is delayed until 4/12 which was bumped up from the original 4/5.  I'm getting extremely impatient already and it's only been 2 days since I ordered... lol.

Anyone find that they ship out when they say these days?

You better quite complaining-I ordered mine in late JANUARY!

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #1,842 of 13,350
Quote:
You better quite complaining-I ordered mine in late JANUARY!

I got my Magni shipped almost immediately.  I think they're just trying to isolate and tweek the hum problem people were having with the Asgard 2.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,844 of 13,350
I"m loving it, even with stock tubes the sound is clean and dynamic. Thats with maybe 30 hours of break-in.

Are you using the stock silver cable? Yesterday I received my HE-500, the day before that my Lyr arrived. I ran with the silver cable and pleather pads for a day. Things sounded good but tonite I swapped the pleathers for a set of spare Beyer DT-990 pads I had on hand and swapped the silver cable with the Canare copper cable from my HE-400.........MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT in warmth and clarity and comfort. I'll never use that silver cable ever again.

I only have about 10 hours on the Lyr and HE-500 with the stock GE tubes. It sounds just incredible already.

I did order a set of 6N1P from Schiit along with with the Lyr and they turned out to be bad. Jason, in usual fashion, replied lightning quick and is sending out a replacement set. That is why I buy Schiit, great products, great service. I will have an Asgard 1, Lyr, and Bitfrost (waiting on it to ship) and very happy with this gear.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,845 of 13,350
Quote:

k701smile.gif

Mikiphile:

Head-fi works in only 1 way...more of everything 
k701smile.gif
. From 1 solitary IEM last year to multiple over-the ear cans, DACs and Amps.... and no end in sight either. Having said that, I plan to give myself a tutorial on tubes this weekend. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back