Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #646 of 3,541
Day two of shipping. And the damn thing hasn't moved at all... so I'm guessing it doesn't show up on Friday. What in the world will I do over the weekend? How am I supposed to keep myself together? Any ideas are read with great care and vast gratefulness :)

It's August, why aren't you on vacation at the beach in Portugal?

Seriously, go to the beach, watch some football, hop over to Kobenhavn for the weekend, I'm sure you can find something to keep you from cursing the post office and Customs.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #647 of 3,541
ps Congratulations for the fantastic olimpic games ¡¡

It's a shame that Rubio can't play. You'd have a real shot on Sunday if he were healthy.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #649 of 3,541
Quote:
It's August, why aren't you on vacation at the beach in Portugal?
Seriously, go to the beach, watch some football, hop over to Kobenhavn for the weekend, I'm sure you can find something to keep you from cursing the post office and Customs.

A: Because I'm a freaking student, working in summer to finance my head-fi cravings...
B: Because I'm currently praising the Swedish customs and post office! The Mjolnir sings in Frövi :) I was able to pick it up just over two days from landing in Sweden. Talk about exceeded expectations.

"Mjölner sjunger i Frövi" = "Mjolnir sings in Frövi" could very well be read as there being a thunderstorm here, see ardilla's excellent post on the mythology: http://www.head-fi.org/t/603218/schiit-mjolnir-headphone-amplifier/555#post_8596998

An interesting note on that matter is that the recently mentioned Freja has a brother called Frej. Both of them gods of fertility, prosperity and the like. An interesting pair. Just saying...

- - - - -

A little more on topic, paradoxper asked for impressions with the DAC disconnected. Maybe not an entirely serious request, but I find it interesting. And the perfect mission for me since I have no comparison points, so I can't really give a useful comment on the sound. Especially since it seems to have no sound :wink: 

Result without a source:
Quiet, but not entirely so. Note that I have Denon 2000, a rather sensitive headphone. And sensitive ears. As far as I dare turn that volume knob (11 o'clock), the noise does not follow. 

The noise floor is by far the lowest I have heard, still about 10 dB louder than the noise floor of my own ears. The only thing I have heard that is more a quiet is a mosquito between 3 and 5 meters away (farther away than that I cannot hear it). Or an unusually quiet day in the forest.

- - - - -

Lastly, I have a problem. From my Mjolnir emanates an electrical noise at a level that is closer to a computer than audio gear, in my experience. Those of you who have Mjolnirs, can you hear something similar from yours?

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #651 of 3,541
Quote:
Absolutely....

A dedicated, desktop amp like the Heed CanAmp, which uses opamps as voltage regulators sounds much better than an iPod, which probably relies exclusively on an op amp for the entire amplification scheme.

Jay,
I think you mean the Op Amps are used for Voltage Gain in the Heed Can Amp.
No offence, but your knowledge of Electronics seems to be almost as bad as my knowledge of Biology, LOL!

Anyway, my point was, don't dismiss a headphone amplifier just because the voltage amp and output stage may be nothing more than an OpAmp(s) (for example O2).  It also depends on the power supply implementation, parts quality, the quality of Op Amp(s) used.

Man, am I off topic 
redface.gif
  how did it get there?

C

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #652 of 3,541
Quote:
You mean transformer hum?

Could be. I have always imagined transformer hum to be more constant and, well, humming. This is a little noisy, somewhat buzzing. I'm not very well trained in describing sounds in English just yet. It was damaged in shipping though, so it's going back on Monday anyways.

On the sound that comes out of my headphones, I can say this much: I had got bored with the bass emphasis on my D2000's, to the point that I've had it EQ'd away for most of the past year. With Mjolnir taking control, no EQ is just plain fun again. I'm listening with a big smile. My dad, who loves speakers like my brother's Cerwin Vega DC-15, actually giggled at the sound of well-recorded drums.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #655 of 3,541
Quote:
Yes, I am supposed to get a review loaner of the Mjolnir, although I've been provided no estimate so far of when.

Will you also be getting a Gungir for review as well?

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #656 of 3,541
Aug 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #660 of 3,541
I've been working long days so I haven't been on much. I do work in 1-3 hours listening on the Mjolnir each night (or morning as it were) and I have no complaints. Just waiting on my HE-6 to return home to compare to the T1s and see how amp handles them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back