Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #617 of 3,541
Quote:
I don't have the amp, I was commenting on some of the impressions we have seen so far.

No, I know you don't. haha. I ment, what do you mean exactly?

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #618 of 3,541
This type of misconception bothers me. What do you mean by "no amp"? If you plug your headphones into something and hear music, that is an amp. Your iPod is an amp. Your sound card is an amp.

The misconception is over different approaches and degrees to amping. Dedicated amps generally sound better than op amps. But, op amps still amplify.

The Mjolnir is one approach to amplification, and it seems like a very ambitious and cutting edge way to do it.

Some of the impressions are pretty odd. I can't see an amp doing THAT much unless you are coming from having no amp...

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #619 of 3,541
My impression from reading err impressions is that the amp is if nothing else... transparent.  Meaning whatever your DAC does, the Mjolnir spits right back at you.  So we could possibly be reading DAC reviews :wink:  Which is damn cool!

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #620 of 3,541
Quote:
My impression from reading err impressions is that the amp is if nothing else... transparent.  Meaning whatever your DAC does, the Mjolnir spit right back at you.  So we could possibly be reading DAC reviews :wink:  Which is damn cool!

Alright, unplug your DACs and give new impressions. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #622 of 3,541
You've obviously never heard a good tube amp.  There is a huge misconception about tubes vs. solid state.  The biggest difference between the two, in general, is not the whole warm vs. cold and the smooth vs. shrill debate.  It's all about soundstaging and imaging.  Tubes are better at the 3D holographic imaging than solid state.  Soundstage is very much built upon the delicate dynamics.

This, all of it. 100%. They each have their strengths, I'm hoping the big bad Schiit halo level amp will be OT.

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #623 of 3,541
Quote:
Skylab is slated to get a review loaner.  Not that his reviews are the gospel, but his interpretations compared to other amps will be helpful.

This true?

Any other high profile reviewers that I should wait on?

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #624 of 3,541
Quote:
Alright, unplug your DACs and give new impressions. 
biggrin.gif

It's my only balanced output! But at first I ran the amp in SE mode while I waited on XLR-XLR cables. Either way, the T1s have more warmth to them with the Mjolnir and it very well could be the DAC.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #625 of 3,541
No, I know you don't. haha. I ment, what do you mean exactly?

Making headphone have massive soundstages with oodles of detail etc. The HD800 always sounds 'big' on anything, including an iPhone. My amps don't really make it sound that much bigger. On my ß22, the edges are much more well defined and things are not as sludgy/fuzzy/hazy. I'm not really sure how an amp makes things more detailed either. It's an amp....

I'll have to wait for more reviews/impressions. So far, most members are saying it's transparent which gets two big thumbs up from me.

This type of misconception bothers me. What do you mean by "no amp"? If you plug your headphones into something and hear music, that is an amp. Your iPod is an amp. Your sound card is an amp.
The misconception is over different approaches and degrees to amping. Dedicated amps generally sound better than op amps. But, op amps still amplify.
The Mjolnir is one approach to amplification, and it seems like a very ambitious and cutting edge way to do it.

Pedantic semantics. If I had put the word 'dedicated' or 'stand alone' in there, you wouldn't have a problem. :wink:

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #626 of 3,541
I think it's more a matter of the amp not obscuring detail that's already there, rather than it adding detail. It's just how impressions are being phrased.

In that sense I surmise it's "more detailed" because it's transparent/uncolored.
Quote:
Making headphone have massive soundstages with oodles of detail etc. The HD800 always sounds 'big' on anything, including an iPhone. My amps don't really make it sound that much bigger. On my ß22, the edges are much more well defined and things are not as sludgy/fuzzy/hazy. I'm not really sure how an amp makes things more detailed either. It's an amp....
I'll have to wait for more reviews/impressions. So far, most members are saying it's transparent
which gets two big thumbs up from me.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #627 of 3,541
Nods.  Nothing you do after the data goes to disc can ADD detail or resolution.  The goal is to not lose anything along the way.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #628 of 3,541
This true?

Yes, I am supposed to get a review loaner of the Mjolnir, although I've been provided no estimate so far of when.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #629 of 3,541
Quote:
This true?

Any other high profile reviewers that I should wait on?

Why would you solely trust reviewers when it's your ears? Plus, there's an in-home trial anyways. What are you waiting for? If you don't like it, just return it.
L3000.gif

Certainly it's much preferred to be short shipping charges etc than trying to sell an entire amp you dislike.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #630 of 3,541
Quote:
I think it's more a matter of the amp not obscuring detail that's already there, rather than it adding detail. It's just how impressions are being phrased.

In that sense I surmise it's "more detailed" because it's transparent/uncolored.

Quote:
Nods.  Nothing you do after the data goes to disc can ADD detail or resolution.  The goal is to not lose anything along the way.

Big thumbs up to both of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back