Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #586 of 3,541
As to Nordost (the name translates to NorthEast) it's a long-established company in New England. No relation to Schiit which is here in the Peoples' Republic of California.

I just noticed on my Mjolnir that all the Phillips head screws on the jacks are precisely lined up like two rows of little Xes. Speaks to someone taking pains.

The sound can be "dry." on some recordings, especially if you are used to tube sound. On a few discs I've even felt the sound to be hard or harsh in the mids and up. But on other discs, well, I was listening to ZTT's Art of the 12" Vol. II. FGtH, with the big bass and various percussion, was mightily impressive, full and well-rounded (I mean the sound, of course.) No dryness or sterility there. So I conclude that the amp is extremely transparent to recording and source. Given time, I'll hook up a phono preamp and try pure analog.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #587 of 3,541
Quote:
The term I would use is transparent. I would definitely not describe it as clinical or even hyper-detailed as those imply that the amp is significantly coloring the sound which I don't think it is. It's definitely not artificially emphasizing detail, the detail is coming from the source, the Mjolnir is simply scrubbing less of it away allowing you to hear more of what the source is providing. The Peak does a good job of that too but the tube is coloring the sound a tiny bit more and adding a little bit of bloom which is why the Mjolnir sounds drier in comparison but ONLY in comparison. 

+1 This right here. To those that own the Mjolnir and want a nice treat, listen to this entire album;

Artist: Florence+The Machine
Album: Lungs

Very involving, the dynamics and euphoric female vocals are astounding through the Mjolnir. Especially the Drums, harps and sleigh bells. There's so many layers that it's hard to count them all. Only the Mjolnir can decipher all this, from my experience atleast.

The album is even better on my vinyl rig, but it just cant quite grab the last ounces of detail like the Yulong D18/Mjolnir can. I will definitely connect the Mjolnir/T1 to my vinyl and see how that pans out too :)

P.S. I keep my volume around the 9-10 o'clock position. Where do you guys find your sweet spot at? Anything above that is too loud for a long period of time.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #589 of 3,541
Congrats olor1n. Look forward to your impressions...

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #590 of 3,541
Quote:
Sure. I was just confused because I never made an analogy with "good pairing" and "synergy." I thought I implied they're congruous, just that "good" to someone doesn't mean it's going to be "good" to someone else automatically, due to differences preference.

Mjolnir vs. Arete? Hopefully someone who's heard the Arete can do a brief comparison --without the Volcano that is. Bonus if it's with an LCD-2.

Mjolnir.  

Quote:
Then this may not be the amp for me...

Actually it may be just the amp for you and other LCD owners.  You don't want a warm, gooey amp w/ an LCD.  Don't take one persons overblown interpretation of dry to mean anything.  Analytical/techincal perhaps.  Dry maybe, depending.  Lifeless, sterile and boring nope.  Those are all separate characteristics in my lexicon.  Don't forget to figure in each persons source/DAC making impressions.  Jason uses the LCD2 r.2 most, I can tell you it's a very nice pairing.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #594 of 3,541
Quote:

Mjolnir.  

Actually it may be just the amp for you and other LCD owners.  You don't want a warm, gooey amp w/ an LCD.  Don't take one persons overblown interpretation of dry to mean anything.  Analytical/techincal perhaps.  Dry maybe, depending.  Lifeless, sterile and boring nope.  Those are all separate characteristics in my lexicon.  Don't forget to figure in each persons source/DAC making impressions.  Jason uses the LCD2 r.2 most, I can tell you it's a very nice pairing.

Agreed. With LCD-3 and Bifrost the experience can be thrilling (how's that for non-specific?) Just don't expect any tubelike romanticism.

And while the new pre-attached feet are nice, I'd also like to see the power switch on the front panel. Maybe on the statement gear? Please, Jason?

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #595 of 3,541
Quote:

Agreed. With LCD-3 and Bifrost the experience can be thrilling (how's that for non-specific?) Just don't expect any tubelike romanticism.

And while the new pre-attached feet are nice, I'd also like to see the power switch on the front panel. Maybe on the statement gear? Please, Jason?

I'm thinking about trying a tube buffer, just to see what happens, but my guess is that while it will liven up the vocals, the delicate dynamics and detail will be sucked out. Tubes just can't beat SS is that regard. Please don't start with the "well done, poorly done" comments, lol. There's limitations to both tubes and SS, get over it.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #596 of 3,541
Quote:
I'm thinking about trying a tube buffer, just to see what happens, but my guess is that while it will liven up the vocals, the delicate dynamics and detail will be sucked out. Tubes just can't beat SS is that regard.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was true.  Make my short list a lot well shorter :wink:

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #597 of 3,541
Quote:
I'm thinking about trying a tube buffer, just to see what happens, but my guess is that while it will liven up the vocals, the delicate dynamics and detail will be sucked out. Tubes just can't beat SS is that regard. Please don't start with the "well done, poorly done" comments, lol. There's limitations to both tubes and SS, get over it.

Well a buffer, tube or no tube, is just gonna take micro-dynamics and detail down a notch because you are putting another component and extra several meters of interconnects in the chain. Honestly I wouldn't bother with a tube buffer because it's just gonna reinforce your perception that tubes suck in certain areas (micro-dynamics and detail) which they can actually very much excel at.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #598 of 3,541
Well said Purrin!

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #599 of 3,541
Quote:

Well a buffer, tube or no tube, is just gonna take micro-dynamics and detail down a notch because you are putting another component and extra several meters of interconnects in the chain. Honestly I wouldn't bother with a tube buffer because it's just gonna reinforce your perception that tubes suck in certain areas (micro-dynamics and detail) which they can actually very much excel at.

Yep, tubes are king!

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #600 of 3,541
Quote:

Wow, great job for totally mis-quoting me. I was talking about a tube buffer. Just...wow... Tubes don't suck, calm down dude.

Apparently, you also 100% reinforced what I previously said about a buffer, but you decided to mis-quote me for fun I guess. I get it though, the whole "tubes can't beat SS in that regard" gave you an opening for a jab. I have both SS and tube buffers and those are my findings. If yours differ in regards to buffers, feel free to share it with the community ok? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back