Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Feb 14, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #2,461 of 3,541
Sent a PM to Jason but maybe he is too busy to read my PM.

And I am in hurry to get and answer, so I am going to ask here.

I am getting a tube amp from fren which weight about 10kg and due to space constraints on my desktop .. can I place it on my stacked Mjolnir  & Gungnir combo?.
On the bottom,  the Gungnir is seating on 3 cones and on top, there are another 3 cones which the Mjolnir seats.

Will this 10 kg of weight cause any issue???
 My major concern....

thanks in advance for the advice...

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,462 of 3,541
The weight won't be an issue. The Schiit products are built well but I would worry more about heat than weight

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,464 of 3,541
Please don't put 22lbs of hot tube amp on top of Mjolnir, blocking the vents and possibly causing it to overheat.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,466 of 3,541
Hi Jason...

Sorry did not mean to be way off but just need to clear on your statement..
"I just replied in the thread. It is NOT advisable to stack 22lbs of a hot tube amp on top of Mjolnir. The chassis is a heatsink, and you may cause it to overheat"

So even though if I remove my Mjolnir and place my tube amp ontop of Gungnir with  1 inch height cone... this will also be a problem since both the Amp & DAC are using the same type of Al chasis...!!!
IS this true too !!!!!

thanks

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,467 of 3,541
You can safely stack a Mjolnir on top of a Gungnir.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,468 of 3,541
Haha.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,469 of 3,541
my apologies if this is nosy, but does anyone know how many mjolnir's and gungnir's are out in the wild, i.e sales? i just want to get a feel for how popular they actually are. Seems like they are discussed a lot these days but its hard to draw the line of where the chatter is just the same people over and over again vs. hoards of budding audiophiles.

Feb 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,470 of 3,541
I think it's safe to say that there are a Schiitload of those amps and DACs out there, but only Jason knows the exact number. 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,471 of 3,541
Think Jason mentioned something over 1000 for Mjolnir. No word on Gungnir.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #2,472 of 3,541
Guys my Mjolnir makes my LCD-2's a little bright I think because my ears fatigue the same way they do when I used to own SR-325's. I didn't notice anything worth complaining about when I first started using it, but I was wondering if it's just me feeling especially sensitive today, or that the Mjolnir does impart a touch of brightness?

I am indeed stacking Mjolnir with Gungnir and using optical as a source and I'm using OCC copper interconnects and headphone cable.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,473 of 3,541
Quote:
Guys my Mjolnir makes my LCD-2's a little bright I think because my ears fatigue the same way they do when I used to own SR-325's. I didn't notice anything worth complaining about when I first started using it, but I was wondering if it's just me feeling especially sensitive today, or that the Mjolnir does impart a touch of brightness?

I am indeed stacking Mjolnir with Gungnir and using optical as a source and I'm using OCC copper interconnects and headphone cable.

Are you sure it isn't Gungnir? I only ask because Gungnir is pretty harsh until broken in.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2,475 of 3,541
Are you sure it isn't Gungnir? I only ask because Gungnir is pretty harsh until broken in.

I've completely refrained from making "review" type judgements until I've given the pair 100 hours.

Using toslink output of a computer? Any reason you are not using async usb? That might be the culprit....

You would think that for $750, both inputs would be of the highest quality. Also I've always been under the impression that optical inputs are generally a lot more clean, and that Schiit's implementation of USB was as close as you could get to that based on the literature of the Bifrost? Also I saved $150. Even at this level of gear I have, money is still tight. I just really appreciated that I could have an "end-game" rig and not have to worry if my amp/source was a factor in headphone A/B-ing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back