Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Feb 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2,476 of 3,541
Quote:
I've completely refrained from making "review" type judgements until I've given the pair 100 hours.
You would think that for $750, both inputs would be of the highest quality. Also I've always been under the impression that optical inputs are generally a lot more clean, and that Schiit's implementation of USB was as close as you could get to that based on the literature of the Bifrost? Also I saved $150. Even at this level of gear I have, money is still tight. I just really appreciated that I could have an "end-game" rig and not have to worry if my amp/source was a factor in headphone A/B-ing.

I don't see how that has anything to do with asking if the culprit is Gungnir being bright/harsh/fatiguing, etc.

You asked about what could be bright. Not about reviewing either unit.

I've always personally felt the Mjolnir was aggressive but never fatiguing. Gungnir was quite harsh until around 80 hours or so.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,477 of 3,541
I would have to agree with paradoxper. The Mjolnir is very transparent to source. 
I find it just a little on the brighter side with my Olive 6HD server. But very neutral with the K01.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,478 of 3,541
Quote:
Using toslink output of a computer? Any reason you are not using async usb? That might be the culprit....

This will come down to the DAC and PC but toslink is immune to passing on the switching noise in the PC.  In my rig, the PWD2 doesn't do anything to reduce or remove that noise.  With the Soloist using IEMs on high gain the noise is present but low on my PC and stupid loud if using my laptop plugged into the wall.

Toslink... dead silent.

Now on the HD800 or LCD-2 not audible but obviously still present.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2,479 of 3,541
I don't see how that has anything to do with asking if the culprit is Gungnir being bright/harsh/fatiguing, etc.

You asked about what could be bright. Not about reviewing either unit.

I've always personally felt the Mjolnir was aggressive but never fatiguing. Gungnir was quite harsh until around 80 hours or so.

Sorry I meant as a precursor to me saying it was bright, that I'm still waiting until the sound settles in before I make definite statements about what I think it sounds like. I will wait until the 80 hour mark then. As of right now it's a great sound, just a tad bright.

I would have to agree with paradoxper. The Mjolnir is very transparent to source. 
I find it just a little on the brighter side with my Olive 6HD server. But very neutral with the K01.

I guess we'll just wait to see, I was just curious to see if other people had made a similar observation when they got their stack.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,480 of 3,541
Quote:
Sorry I meant as a precursor to me saying it was bright, that I'm still waiting until the sound settles in before I make definite statements about what I think it sounds like. I will wait until the 80 hour mark then. As of right now it's a great sound, just a tad bright.
I guess we'll just wait to see, I was just curious to see if other people had made a similar observation when they got their stack.

I gotcha. I think many people experienced the harsh sound contributed from Gungnir.

But it's also possible that you're finding Mojo a bit top tilted.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #2,481 of 3,541
I recently put my rig w/ Mjolnir on it's own circuit and it is sooo mellow now. I also hid all my PC's behind a cheap power filter. Just moving a few plugs at your place might help a lot. It takes a lot off it's harshness. I can listen to my super sensitive TH-900's loud forever without fatigue.

The Gungnir made my teeth hurt (though I sent it back before a super long burn in).

gl

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,482 of 3,541
I recently put my rig w/ Mjolnir on it's own circuit and it is sooo mellow now. I also hid all my PC's behind a cheap power filter. Just moving a few plugs at your place might help a lot. It takes a lot off it's harshness. I can listen to my super sensitive TH-900's loud forever without fatigue.

The Gungnir made my teeth hurt (though I sent it back before a super long burn in).

gl

Interesting thought. I haven't paid too much attention to the thought of power conditioning, but I do live in a house that was built in the 70's so they have notoriously bad wiring from what I know.. maybe I'll look into that.

I'm going to a local meet today to meet a buncha people, maybe I'll shop around and see if theres anything I like. I've always been a fan of Schiit gear though and I really do want to give this piece an honest try. So it's not Mjolnir causing this right? Cuz I've been told multiple times that it could probably be my end-all amp for a long time.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,483 of 3,541
Quote:
Interesting thought. I haven't paid too much attention to the thought of power conditioning, but I do live in a house that was built in the 70's so they have notoriously bad wiring from what I know.. maybe I'll look into that.

I'm going to a local meet today to meet a buncha people, maybe I'll shop around and see if theres anything I like. I've always been a fan of Schiit gear though and I really do want to give this piece an honest try. So it's not Mjolnir causing this right? Cuz I've been told multiple times that it could probably be my end-all amp for a long time.

Have had occasional noise in my Mjolnir. Turned out to be from a seldom-used dimmer switch, several rooms away. This despite using a Shunyata power conditioner. The Mj is more sensitive than a teenage girl, to both power and upstream components.

While I wouldn't describe the Mj as bright (unless the recording/sources are,) it is absolutely uncompromising. That is, it doesn't have the come-on-in-the-water's-warm aura of tubes. Which is why I'm keeping my Lyr, even though I use the Mj much more often.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,484 of 3,541
Oy Very...bought the Mjolnir to drive the HE-6s and YUCKS!!! Way too bright...hurts my ears and this coming from a treble lover. not only that, it occasionally clips in loud orchestral passages. Could the fact that the HE-6s have a moon audio silver cable be partly to blame for the brightness? I am thinking that the Mjolnir could be a great match with the princes of darkness (I.e., Audezes).

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,485 of 3,541
Quote:
Oy Very...bought the Mjolnir to drive the HE-6s and YUCKS!!! Way too bright...hurts my ears and this coming from a treble lover. not only that, it occasionally clips in loud orchestral passages. Could the fact that the HE-6s have a moon audio silver cable be partly to blame for the brightness? I am thinking that the Mjolnir could be a great match with the princes of darkness (I.e., Audezes).

Better fit for LCDs than with the HE-6. Beacuse of the Mj being a bit top tilted.  I find this the case on many different DACs as well.  And of course this is compared to a few different amps as well.

If you have the HE-6 in your stable - the Mj is not the amp for that headphone.

If you have the LCDs the MJ is a perfect match.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #2,486 of 3,541
Quote:

If you have the HE-6 in your stable - the Mj is not the amp for that headphone.

If you have the LCDs the MJ is a perfect match.

Agreed. While I enjoy the HE-6 on Mojo, it's simply not an end-game combo.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,489 of 3,541
Guys my Mjolnir makes my LCD-2's a little bright I think because my ears fatigue the same way they do when I used to own SR-325's. I didn't notice anything worth complaining about when I first started using it, but I was wondering if it's just me feeling especially sensitive today, or that the Mjolnir does impart a touch of brightness?

I am indeed stacking Mjolnir with Gungnir and using optical as a source and I'm using OCC copper interconnects and headphone cable.

I'll bet you are playing your LCD-2s too loud because you are searching for the detail that is obscured by it's rolled off treble. I was doing that in the first couple days of owning my LCD-2 and was getting really bad ear aches. Drop the volume a bit, or change to more detailed headphones, like say.. HD800 :wink:

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,490 of 3,541
Detail and rolled off treble doesn't correlate that much, unless you mean treble detail. 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back