Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,431 of 3,541
Quote:

Yeah, I had the same buzz, ramdomly right or left side only.
I thought have solved the problem by separating the ground where I plug amp and my cd player. One on my purepower conditionner and the other directly in a wall outlet.
It worked until today where buzz appear once again :frowning2: !
About 5 hours in total between last time buzz was audible.

Jason told me Mjolnir is very picky about current strangeness... Seems due to cyclotron topology.
Many customers must have written to the support.

Hope the team works on the problem and all concerned Mjolnor will be updated.

To be clear, it's not a lot of customers--out of several hundred Mjolnirs to date, we've had non-resolvable noise problems on 3 of them. They've all been AC-related, as far as we can tell, because they test fine when they come back to us. You could look into a hospital-grade isolation transformer. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,432 of 3,541
Mine is dead silent.  But there is a very soft but audible hum from the power supply of my Zana Deux.  Both plugged into the same dedicated audio circuit.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #2,433 of 3,541
I had a similar problem with a buzzing sound on the right channel but only for highly sensitive cans. Grados and even HD800s. No buzz on the LCD3s.
Last week I was out of town for 9 days and had switched it off. When I got back, the buzz was gone!
Absolutely dead quiet even with Grados.

No harm in giving it a rest for a couple of days. Might work in getting rid of that awful buzzzz

Jason, this is by far the best schiit you've come up with.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #2,434 of 3,541
Hi there,

I've juste received my Mjolnir, and I need your help.

My balanced cable for the LCD2 is on its way, but won't be here before two weeks.
I also have a DT770 single ended.

Is there a way to use my two "single ended headphones" with the Mjolnir ?
Maybe with an adapter ?

Thanks for your help
happy_face1.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,435 of 3,541
Quote:
Hi there,

My balanced cable for the LCD2 is on its way, but won't be here before two weeks.

Maybe with an adapter ?

Thanks for your help
happy_face1.gif

NO, balanced only I'm afraid.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2,436 of 3,541
I just received a balanced HD 650 cable from fellow head-fier Jazzerdave a few days ago.  I have been busy with work and had not gotten a chance to listen to my Senn on my Mjolnir until this morning.  HOLY SCHIIT!  It's like someone took my 650, poured a 4-pack of Redbull down its throat and strapped it to a rocket-powered robotic shark.  At the moment I am finding this more engaging to listen to than my LCD-2.  I know this is just the initial "wow" factor and the new-toy syndrome will eventually ware off, but for now I am loving it.  Initial thoughts are that the bass tightened up and has a lot more punch.  Additionally, there seems to be more sparkle in the highs (esp. cymbals). 

Quote:

Maybe with an adapter ?

Listen to nigeljames.  Using an adapter will trigger the protection unit in your amp and shut it down.  It is bad news.  Since the Mjo is a fully balanced amp, it can only be run balanced.  I had the same wait when I first got mine.  It is painful, but well worth it!

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,437 of 3,541
I just received a balanced HD 650 cable from fellow head-fier Jazzerdave a few days ago.  I have been busy with work and had not gotten a chance to listen to my Senn on my Mjolnir until this morning.  HOLY SCHIIT!  It's like someone took my 650, poured a 4-pack of Redbull down its throat and strapped it to a rocket-powered robotic shark.  At the moment I am finding this more engaging to listen to than my LCD-2.  I know this is just the initial "wow" factor and the new-toy syndrome will eventually ware off, but for now I am loving it.  Initial thoughts are that the bass tightened up and has a lot more punch.  Additionally, there seems to be more sparkle in the highs (esp. cymbals). 

Agree. The HD650s sound really tight and dynamic out of the Mjolnir--it's a very enjoyable listening experience. It doesn't resolve detail at the level of the LCD2s, but that MJ mojo that pushes the upper-mids and highs forward with the LCD2 works the same for the HD650.

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,438 of 3,541
Quote:
Quote:

Agree. The HD650s sound really tight and dynamic out of the Mjolnir--it's a very enjoyable listening experience. It doesn't resolve detail at the level of the LCD2s, but that MJ mojo that pushes the upper-mids and highs forward with the LCD2 works the same for the HD650.

The HD650 gets more of my head time than the LCD-2. It is really very good from the MJ. I think part of the reason I utilise it more is that I find it better at low volumes than the LCD-2. The layering, textures and dynamics are somewhat retained (perhaps due to the mid-bass hump), whereas the LCD-2 collapses at low levels and loses its zest. Listening to the LCD-2 at moderate levels from the M51>MJ chain is nice though.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #2,439 of 3,541
Quote:
Hi there,

Maybe with an adapter ?

Thanks for your help
happy_face1.gif

According the manual that came with my Mjolnir you can only connect balanced headphones to it. But then again it also says the same for the Lyr so maybe your curiosity is not wholly misplaced :p

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,440 of 3,541
The Lyr has only a 1/4 SE jack... The Mjolnir is balanced only, and you can not use a 'balanced adapter' attached to a single ended cable, otherwise the amp will blow. Thankfully the Mjo has protection-- it'll shut off before that happens.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2,442 of 3,541
Hello everybody,
I just found the new Schiit Asgard 2's releasing.
Does everybody think i can heard a significant difference in term of sound quality with the Schiit Mjolnir over the new Asgard's revision and all paired with my old HRT music streamer 2(which is a non-balanced output DAC)?
It is a $500 addition.
I had a former version Asgard and think it is very nice with my LCD-2. Just want an upgrade for new lunar year.
Thank you so much!
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,443 of 3,541
It's hard to imagine the Asgard 2 would be better than the Mjolnir given the price point especially since it is the same company. I can't see any company undercutting their own sales by having something cheaper outperform something that costs 3-4x the price. However they are also different designs so would serve different markets as well. The Asgard 2 is also really new and I don't think anyone has one yet.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,444 of 3,541
Quote:
It's hard to imagine the Asgard 2 would be better than the Mjolnir given the price point especially since it is the same company. I can't see any company undercutting their own sales by having something cheaper outperform something that costs 3-4x the price. However they are also different designs so would serve different markets as well. The Asgard 2 is also really new and I don't think anyone has one yet.

Hi,
Thank you for the quick answer.
And sorry for my vague question. I just want to know if the Mjolnir worths 3-4x the Asgard ver.2's price when all are paired with a cheap entry level and non-balanced DAC such as HRT music streamer 2 
confused_face.gif

The Asgard 2 is also said significant better than its old version.
I really do not have any plan to buy a new DAC now.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #2,445 of 3,541
Some will tell you get a good DAC first, or at least with the Mjo. Some will tell you getting the Mjo will be good enough. I find the latter rather silly. You need to balance your set up across all your gear, much like a custom built computer -- you don't want to have a 3way SLI GTX 690 and an i5 3570k... what's the point? Better gfx performance? Sure, but it'll be SEVERELY bottlenecked by the other components in your system anyways so why waste all that $. Sure the Mjo will bring improvement, but you'd be wasting all that $ if you're feeding it with an... inferior source. Now one exception to this is if you're 100% sure you're going to be upgrading your other gear in the near future. Then maybe.

tldr: Get a better DAC, otherwise stick with cheaper amp.
Quote:
Hi,
Thank you for the quick answer.
And sorry for my vague question. I just want to know if the Mjolnir worths 3-4x the Asgard ver.2's price when all are paired with a cheap entry level and non-balanced DAC such as HRT music streamer 2 
confused_face.gif

The Asgard 2 is also said significant better than its old version.
I really do not have any plan to buy a new DAC now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back