Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #2,821 of 6,930
Ive got both and as far as I can tell the MJ2 is far superior to Jot. You can tweak the sound a good bit to better suit your personal listening preferences. I am currently running some fantastic tubes that seem to provide an incredible level of detail retrieval while providing a better soundstage and a slight bump in the bass impact area. Thats not to say that I dont enjoy the Jot because I definitely do it is a truly fantastic SS amp but I personally just find that I am enjoying the use of the MJ2 more.
What are the tubes that your now using?

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,822 of 6,930
I've been trying to find a nice tube amp to pair with my RME ADI Dac-2 and this bad boy is on the short list of interest.
Does anyone have experience with the pairing? I did a quick search in the discussion and came up short.
There are no distributors where I am so, I can't just try them out.
I own a few pairs of HP and currently I am running them all straight out of the RME.
here is the short list: Sen 800S, E-Mu Teak, HD6XX and Oppo PM3
My other Option would have been a Woo WA6 instead.
Thanks for your time!

James

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,823 of 6,930
What are the tubes that your now using?
I am currently using a genuine pair of 1950s Western Electric 396As with an adapter. They sound incredible. The LCD-X is a relatively 3D sounding headphone on its own but this pairing with MJ2 has not only increased that 3D effect but also seems to have bumped the bass a good bit and overall sound quality is just fantastic. I also ran it with some genuine 1960s Siemens E88CCs from Germany and these are fantastic tubes as well with those the clarity I heard from them was insane along with the increase in bass. I think this amp and dac pairing is my end game for a long time to come. Now to just get $4000 together to buy either the LCD-4s or Utopias which from what Ive read about their comparisons I will most likely end up with the 4s. Man I am listening right now and an Eminem song I havent heard in forever just came on and God is the 3D effect dramatic and so intoxicating. You litterally cant go wrong with these things. By the way I aquired these tubes from members of head-fi by the names of TK16 and Auditory Canvas to whom I am forever greatful for all the help they offered me in tube recomendations. Love this forum.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2,824 of 6,930
I am currently using a genuine pair of 1950s Western Electric 396As with an adapter. They sound incredible. The LCD-X is a relatively 3D sounding headphone on its own but this pairing with MJ2 has not only increased that 3D effect but also seems to have bumped the bass a good bit and overall sound quality is just fantastic. I also ran it with some genuine 1960s Siemens E88CCs from Germany and these are fantastic tubes as well with those the clarity I heard from them was insane along with the increase in bass. I think this amp and dac pairing is my end game for a long time to come. Now to just get $4000 together to buy either the LCD-4s or Utopias which from what Ive read about their comparisons I will most likely end up with the 4s. Man I am listening right now and an Eminem song I havent heard in forever just came on and God is the 3D effect dramatic and so intoxicating. You litterally cant go wrong with these things. By the way I aquired these tubes from members of head-fi by the names of TK16 and Auditory Canvas to whom I am forever greatful for all the help they offered me in tube recomendations. Love this forum.
I’ve got a pair of Argons mk2,Talos both t50rp mods m1060 and a ultrasone 750 pro

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #2,825 of 6,930
I’ve got a pair of Argons mk2,Talos both t50rp mods m1060 and a ultrasone 750 pro
Ive personally not listened to any of those but have heard great things about them. I feel that any headphone will pair well with the MJ2 after spending some time with it. It offers unrelenting power when needed, amazing clarity, and just an overall quality sound though admitedly I didnt even bother to try it with the stock tubes so it very well could be dependent upon a great tube choice as others have stated in this thread. Or it could be that my Gumby has had enough warm up time to show its true colors. Either way these two are my end game for a while.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #2,826 of 6,930
Ive personally not listened to any of those but have heard great things about them. I feel that any headphone will pair well with the MJ2 after spending some time with it. It offers unrelenting power when needed, amazing clarity, and just an overall quality sound though admitedly I didnt even bother to try it with the stock tubes so it very well could be dependent upon a great tube choice as others have stated in this thread. Or it could be that my Gumby has had enough warm up time to show its true colors. Either way these two are my end game for a while.
I’m about to pull the trigger on the MJ2. Can you point me in the direction where you got the tubes and pin converters

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,827 of 6,930
I’m about to pull the trigger on the MJ2. Can you point me in the direction where you got the tubes and pin converters
Go here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/unread
Then look up @AuditoryCanvas. Look at his signature. That’s just a few he’s selling. You won’t find a better seller here or on eBay. He also has adapters. Just PM him and thank me later :)

Also @TK16 sometimes sells off some of his stash. Another great guy like AC and both are reasonable. If they don’t have what you’re looking for TK is ALWAYS posting links for tubes in the thread and I mean all the time

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #2,828 of 6,930
@Brooklyn70 I 100% agree with @koover as TK and Ac both took time to help me out and I got some really stellar tubes from them and they shipped out quickly and I couldnt be happier.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #2,829 of 6,930
Go here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/unread
Then look up @AuditoryCanvas. Look at his signature. That’s just a few he’s selling. You won’t find a better seller here or on eBay. He also has adapters. Just PM him and thank me later :)

Also @TK16 sometimes sells off some of his stash. Another great guy like AC and both are reasonable. If they don’t have what you’re looking for TK is ALWAYS posting links for tubes in the thread and I mean all the time
Thank you both for your help

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,830 of 6,930
No problem man just tryin to pass it forward. This forum has been an incredible help to me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,832 of 6,930
Just wanted to throw this out there. So so far I have rocked a matched pair of Siemens nos tubes, a matched pair of WE 396As, and am currently listening to a matched pair of Reflektor 6N3P-Is and right now I am really enjoying the sound of the Reflektors. I find them to add a good bit to the holographic effect and the clarity is truly unreal. I am hearing some of the most minute details in music that I have listened to 100s of times. I can guarantee this is not a placebo thing as it is clear as day the additional info that is coming through so clearly right now. The Siemens and Western Electrics had a bit more bass impact to them and I am gonna have to go back and listen to them again now just to make sure Im not losing my mind. But I tell you what this just makes me wanna go to Brent Jesses site n spend some big bucks that I dont have on some ridiculous CCAs or something crazy. What are your thoughts @TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas . Have yall listened to any of the crazy outragous priced tubes and found any of them to be worth it? How do yall feel bout the Reflektors?

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,833 of 6,930
Just wanted to throw this out there. So so far I have rocked a matched pair of Siemens nos tubes, a matched pair of WE 396As, and am currently listening to a matched pair of Reflektor 6N3P-Is and right now I am really enjoying the sound of the Reflektors. I find them to add a good bit to the holographic effect and the clarity is truly unreal. I am hearing some of the most minute details in music that I have listened to 100s of times. I can guarantee this is not a placebo thing as it is clear as day the additional info that is coming through so clearly right now. The Siemens and Western Electrics had a bit more bass impact to them and I am gonna have to go back and listen to them again now just to make sure Im not losing my mind. But I tell you what this just makes me wanna go to Brent Jesses site n spend some big bucks that I dont have on some ridiculous CCAs or something crazy. What are your thoughts @TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas . Have yall listened to any of the crazy outragous priced tubes and found any of them to be worth it? How do yall feel bout the Reflektors?
Personally feel very few of the 6922 variants are worth the money. Traded a pair of Telefunken E188CC for a pair of 56 Valvo CCa Heerlen, that was worth it. The Siemens CCa grey shield early 60's were worth it when got good deal on them. The last pair of Telefunken E188CC were worth it for about $250 I paid for them. My 2 pair of Heerlen D getter E88CC/6922 were worth it for the deals I got. That is about it for those variants. The 2C51/5670/396A/6N3P variants I got are worth every penny I paid. Find them better than the vast majority of 6922 variants and much cheaper. Just getting into the 12AT7/ECC81/6201/E180CC variants. These tubes are more readily available than the 6922 and 12AX7 variants that a quite a bit more expensive. All you need is an adapter to use the 12AT7 variants in your MJ2.

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,834 of 6,930
I'm finding myself a bit less involved with my rig of late. Maybe that'll change in the winter. Anyway, MJ2 seems likely to be where I'll end in terms of amplification.

Sep 28, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,835 of 6,930
I'm finding myself a bit less involved with my rig of late. Maybe that'll change in the winter. Anyway, MJ2 seems likely to be where I'll end until I'm a lot wealthier and living in a much quieter apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back