Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,836 of 6,930
Personally feel very few of the 6922 variants are worth the money. Traded a pair of Telefunken E188CC for a pair of 56 Valvo CCa Heerlen, that was worth it. The Siemens CCa grey shield early 60's were worth it when got good deal on them. The last pair of Telefunken E188CC were worth it for about $250 I paid for them. My 2 pair of Heerlen D getter E88CC/6922 were worth it for the deals I got. That is about it for those variants. The 2C51/5670/396A/6N3P variants I got are worth every penny I paid. Find them better than the vast majority of 6922 variants and much cheaper. Just getting into the 12AT7/ECC81/6201/E180CC variants. These tubes are more readily available than the 6922 and 12AX7 variants that a quite a bit more expensive. All you need is an adapter to use the 12AT7 variants in your MJ2.
I certainly dont have your level of experience here but from my observations thus far I agree with you 100%. I have a great pair of Siemens E88CCs that are awesome but all the others Ive listened to in that variant sound rather uninspiring. so far I am loving the 6N3Ps and others from that varriant. How do you feel the 12AT7 sound in comparrison to the 6N3P type?

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #2,839 of 6,930
Hi Everyone !
I have just ordered Mjolnir 2 from Schiit Website. It show the line "backorder 11 - 16"
The information is too short. Please show me what it mean. It 'll delay 11 to 16 days or it'll be in stock in 16 November. Hiz.

Reading all of the thread. Thought that it would be 1-2 months waiting.
Yeah looks like it will be november 16th. It is an incredibly popular amp and they sell a lot of them quickly mine was backordered too for almost a month. But I can assure you it is worth the wait.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #2,840 of 6,930
Thanks for your answer.

I'm eager to try this amp so much. Keep trying to save money for Gungnir. Hoping that it is my end game. I also order LCD-X creator package which is not include Balance Cable. Would you help me to pick another company for balance cable. Thanks so much

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #2,841 of 6,930
Thanks for your answer.

I'm eager to try this amp so much. Keep trying to save money for Gungnir. Hoping that it is my end game. I also order LCD-X creator package which is not include Balance Cable. Would you help me to pick another company for balance cable. Thanks so much
I have used Moon Audio. I'm sure there are many others.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #2,842 of 6,930
Thanks for your answer.

Not to make fun of anyone but if you stay away from this forum then there’s a better chance that your end game setup will be really your end game setup.

Else you’ll find loads of information and recommendations that your end game is always a moving target

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,843 of 6,930
Hi hi. I love the way you think. It's really true. People are often greedy. We've reached the point that we image the best (Maybe, Money limit our thoughts). Keeping it in the short time. Recharge our power and establish new targets. Following other's opinions...It makes us more motivated in life. Hoping that we keep that fires

Nevertheless, following these forums make us know that we are too small in the big worlds. To realize that the most valuable parts of our bodies is our ears

If I only pick the best ( Yggdrasil/ Ragnarok) , i can't compare them to these others DAC/Amp

Sorry, too boring

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,844 of 6,930
Hi hi. I love the way you think. It's really true. People are often greedy. We've reached the point that we image the best (Maybe, Money limit our thoughts). Keeping it in the short time. Recharge our power and establish new targets. Following other's opinions...It makes us more motivated in life. Hoping that we keep that fires

Nevertheless, following these forums make us know that we are too small in the big worlds. To realize that the most valuable parts of our bodies is our ears

If I only pick the best ( Yggdrasil/ Ragnarok) , i can't compare them to these others DAC/Amp

Sorry, too boring

Ok I can help you with this I have the Yggy A2, Ragnarok and MJ2 for a little over a year now.

I would say that interms of sound versatility the best bet between the Rag and MJ2 is the MJ2. You can swap tubes and all that but once you get into your “end game” tubes you probably wont tube roll anymore (only if you stick to a close few genres)

That being said, the Rag wins over usage versatility because you can use it as a headphone amp and as a speaker amp. As a speaker amp the Rag is really great. In terms of sound the Rag is precise and a little bit analytical. MJ2 given the proper tubes can be very musical.

So which one do I use the most, I would say they are even. For classical music, acoustic etc I plug in my MJ2. For pop, rock etc its the Rag. For sharing the music to the family of course it would bd the Rag.

Also this are my opinions and I think others would have a different experience.

All in all you can go wrong with either. Congrats on your investment on the MJ2.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I also want to give Gungnir a try

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,846 of 6,930
Ok I can help you with this I have the Yggy A2, Ragnarok and MJ2 for a little over a year now.

I would say that interms of sound versatility the best bet between the Rag and MJ2 is the MJ2. You can swap tubes and all that but once you get into your “end game” tubes you probably wont tube roll anymore (only if you stick to a close few genres)

That being said, the Rag wins over usage versatility because you can use it as a headphone amp and as a speaker amp. As a speaker amp the Rag is really great. In terms of sound the Rag is precise and a little bit analytical. MJ2 given the proper tubes can be very musical.

So which one do I use the most, I would say they are even. For classical music, acoustic etc I plug in my MJ2. For pop, rock etc its the Rag. For sharing the music to the family of course it would bd the Rag.

Also this are my opinions and I think others would have a different experience.

All in all you can go wrong with either. Congrats on your investment on the MJ2.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I also want to give Gungnir a try

Thanks for your helps
MJ2 is really what i need. I am not investing speaker so Rag is not my choice. Acoustic is also my favorites. I will joint to the world of Tube later to change my listening style

I would pick the Gungnir for it price (Yggdrasil is too high). Just want to know, Yggdrasil is a next step or it just like Rag and MJ2

PS: I connect Onkyo DPX1 + MJ2 + LCDX (Poor setup). Waiting for Gungir to complete.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2,847 of 6,930
Thanks for your helps
MJ2 is really what i need. I am not investing speaker so Rag is not my choice. Acoustic is also my favorites. I will joint to the world of Tube later to change my listening style

I would pick the Gungnir for it price (Yggdrasil is too high). Just want to know, Yggdrasil is a next step or it just like Rag and MJ2

PS: I connect Onkyo DPX1 + MJ2 + LCDX (Poor setup). Waiting for Gungir to complete.

I'm only parroting what I've read.

High level like Rag and MJ2. If the ultimate detail retrieval and accuracy is what you are after. Its Rag and Yag. The Gung and MJ2 are going to be a bit warmer and laid back listing experience. I think somewhere online i read that Jason from schiit actually prefers to listen to the Gung over the Yag. So to each his own.

I have a the MJ2 and Gung and have to say they sound amazing together, but have never heard the Rag or Yag. Would love to some day.

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #2,848 of 6,930
Its been roughly a week with my gumby/mj2 and I can confidently say that it is a deadly duo. It is a pretty massive improvement on my bifrost uber/WA7 (gen 1) setup I had before, mainly I think that the gumby is just simply better than the bifrost uber is every way. However, I have to say that the WA7 is extremely competent.

The WA7 vs Mjolnir 2 is not exactly a fair comparison but the little woo amp is extremely competent. I have upgraded tubes in it, and stock tubes in the Mjolnir. The WA7 does not have the space nor the air the Mjolnir has, and the Mjolnir does a better job in tightening up the bass. Even so, the WA7 is more musical to my ears, and a better pairing with the th900. Really I think its just obvious I need some new tubes for the Mjolnir. I feel like the stock ones hold it back a lot. In fact I prefer the LISST tubes to the stock ones schiit sales.

Also, I guess it is possible Schiit could have made it more difficult to remove the tubes but I don't really know how. I feel like socket savers are a must have.

I should have mentioned that with LISST MJ2 is hands down better than the WA7. Maybe its just me, but the stock tube are not worth buying IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,849 of 6,930
Hi Everyone !
I have just ordered Mjolnir 2 from Schiit Website. It show the line "backorder 11 - 16"
The information is too short. Please show me what it mean. It 'll delay 11 to 16 days or it'll be in stock in 16 November. Hiz.

Reading all of the thread. Thought that it would be 1-2 months waiting.

I just visited the Schiitr and picked up probably the only Mjolnir in stock until 11/16. :smile_phones:

Attachments

• 20181111_145053.jpg
    20181111_145053.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #2,850 of 6,930
Its been roughly a week with my gumby/mj2 and I can confidently say that it is a deadly duo. It is a pretty massive improvement on my bifrost uber/WA7 (gen 1) setup I had before, mainly I think that the gumby is just simply better than the bifrost uber is every way. However, I have to say that the WA7 is extremely competent.

The WA7 vs Mjolnir 2 is not exactly a fair comparison but the little woo amp is extremely competent. I have upgraded tubes in it, and stock tubes in the Mjolnir. The WA7 does not have the space nor the air the Mjolnir has, and the Mjolnir does a better job in tightening up the bass. Even so, the WA7 is more musical to my ears, and a better pairing with the th900. Really I think its just obvious I need some new tubes for the Mjolnir. I feel like the stock ones hold it back a lot. In fact I prefer the LISST tubes to the stock ones schiit sales.

I have been burning in the MJ2 non-stop for the past 60+ hours. it sounded pretty horrible at the beginning. this morning it seem to have opened up. But so far it is still not up to the level in clarity and openness as my WA8 that I am hoping to replace. I have swapped in a couple sets of NOS tubes that I have lying around. a pair of Tele 6DJ8 and a pair of those Russian 6H23P. They improve things a little but still, the MJ2 sounds a bit muffled at the top end. the WA8, like your WA7, sounds more musical, has a sweeter sound to it.

I am expecting greater things from the MJ2 with more burn in. keeping my fingers crossed. It ticks so many boxes for what I want.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back