Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Nov 14, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #2,851 of 6,930
I have had a chance to try some different tubes including some really good NOS tubes that were unfortunately a little too noisy. Overall I am pretty happy with MJ2, and I have found that the JJ gold pin 6922 tubes are actually pretty decent for the price. They will work until I find a decent set of NOS tubes that will play nice with my Ether 2 headphones.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #2,852 of 6,930
I repurchased the Mjolnir 2 because I really missed its hard punching dynamics with high levels of detail that I just couldn’t find in other tube amps in its price range. I got the Liquid Platinum as well, but both are a keeper in different ways.

Does anybody here have a spare pair of WE396As? I sold my previous pair and I’m on the lookout for them again (late 50s early 60s).

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,856 of 6,930
Sorry if this is already known, but I wasn't able to find the LISST tubes on the Schiit website anymore. Has this item been discontinued?

Yep, too difficult to make and not enough sold to bother continuing them is what Jason said.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,859 of 6,930
From the website:
Gain: 8 (18dB) or 1(0db), via front-panel switch

So, either the same as or 8x as much as the input voltage, depending on the gain setting.

JC
So on 300 ohm headphones I keep it on high gain with minimal pot adjustment room. Low gain would be better so I have more play in the volume knob? Or it really does not matter?

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,861 of 6,930
Thank you @JohnnyCanuck. Psychologically in low gain I think I am missing something.

Dec 25, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #2,862 of 6,930
Thank you @JohnnyCanuck. Psychologically in low gain I think I am missing something.

Another question maybe this: Are you using SE or balanced to your HP's? I run balanced and can't see how it is possible to run at high gain. On low gain I'm at 40-50% on the dial. This is with both planners and dynamic drivers.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #2,863 of 6,930
Another question maybe this: Are you using SE or balanced to your HP's? I run balanced and can't see how it is possible to run at high gain. On low gain I'm at 40-50% on the dial. This is with both planners and dynamic drivers.
I am running balanced with 300 ohm ZMF dynamics. Yes, on high gain there is no wiggle room on dial. From no sound to too loud is minimal movement of pot.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,864 of 6,930
I am running balanced with 300 ohm ZMF dynamics. Yes, on high gain there is no wiggle room on dial. From no sound to too loud is minimal movement of pot.
Interesting. When I’m using any headphone rated @ 300 Ohms, balanced on high gain, I couldn’t possibly go past probably 11AM on the POT. I listen pretty loud too. Something seems amiss.

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,865 of 6,930

Got it. Only reason I asked was MJ2 SE is lower power than balanced. I find low gain has less background noise (hiss) than high gain. But that depends on the sensitivity of your HP's. To me, I always try to run at the lowest gain that will provide the volume needed. To me, it is a cleaner signal. But that is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back