Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jun 29, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,641 of 6,930
Have you got socket savers? If not, get these then you don’t have to worry about those pliers. That’s only if you plan on rolling tubes. The ones from the ad are discontinued so click on the link for the new ones. They’re a bit expensive but well worth it as these are the best ones out there. You’ll need 2. Better to replace socket savers versus sockets in the amp.

http://www.tubemonger.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=1343

Then get these adapters (2 of them) so you can roll 6n3p, 5670/2c51 variants as they are the best and some are very inexpensive.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1piece-Gold-...C88-6922-tube-converter-adapter-/192106370227

Then look up @AuditoryCanvas in the LYR2 tube rolling thread. In his signature, he’s selling 6n3p 1959-1964 Foton double Mica tubes for $25 a pair. Best inexpensive tubes to start you off with. They are good and better then most tubes that are triple the price and more. He’s a great and honest guy who tests for leaks and shorts and they’re matched as close as possible.

After that, I can assist you with other tubes if interested but in my most humble opinion without breaking the bank and to get an idea of what these variants sound like, it’s the best way to go.

If none of this interests you, there’s other directions to go.

Regards

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,642 of 6,930
I thought I read that the Gumby’s SE outputs are okay. I just got one and are you suggesting XLR is the way to go? I have the Mjolnir 2 amp.

Without question. If you have Mjolnir 2 and Gumby use the XLR's.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,644 of 6,930
Thanks! I’ll order a pair and try them put.

Are you also using the 4-pin balanced XLR output on the Mjolnir 2 for your headphones?

When you get your XLR interconnect cables, to see what you've been missing, try connecting both the XLR and RCA's between Gumby and Mjolnir 2, throw some music on at decent volume, and then toggle between XLR and RCA inputs on the Mjolnir 2 using the switch on the front. On the XLR, you'll immediately see a jump in volume due to more power and clarity goes way up.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,645 of 6,930
Are you also using the 4-pin balanced XLR output on the Mjolnir 2 for your headphones?

When you get your XLR interconnect cables, try connecting both the XLR and RCA's between Gumby and Mjolnir 2, throw some music on at decent volume, and then toggle between XLR and RCA inputs on the Mjolnir 2 using the switch on the front. On the XLR, you'll immediately see a jump in volume due to more power and clarity goes way up.
Great idea. Yes, I’m using a balanced connecton to my HD 800 S headphones. Looking forward to trying this.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,646 of 6,930
Great idea. Yes, I’m using a balanced connecton to my HD 800 S headphones. Looking forward to trying this.

Cool. Yeah, I think you'll be pleased. Post back your results. When I finally upgraded to Gumby and went full balanced it knocked my socks off

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,647 of 6,930
For tubes I recommend the following: Adapters needed: WE396A, Foton double mica(triple mica hard to come by) from AC, NOS JAN GE 5670, Also the Amperex ecc88/6dj8 sound good but don't need an adapter. I'm using these with the Utopia. I felt the stock tubes that come with the MJ2 were too bright for me.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #2,648 of 6,930

When you get your XLR interconnect cables, to see what you've been missing, try connecting both the XLR and RCA's between Gumby and Mjolnir 2, throw some music on at decent volume, and then toggle between XLR and RCA inputs on the Mjolnir 2 using the switch on the front. On the XLR, you'll immediately see a jump in volume due to more power and clarity goes way up.

To make the comparison fairer, remember to equalize the volume levels when comparing the SE and balanced inputs, as our brains are easily fooled into perceiving louder sound as 'clearer' sound even when it isn't. In the case of Gumby and Mjolnir 2 however, you should hopefully be able to hear that the balanced inputs/outputs are audibly clearer than the SE ones regardless of volume. :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,650 of 6,930
MJ2 is a pretty solid preamp for my Airmotiv 4S powered monitors.

Interesting.., have you tried to use it as a pre-amp to an amp?

Neverthought of this setup.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,651 of 6,930
MJ2 is a pretty solid preamp for my Airmotiv 4S powered monitors.
Interesting. I just got one of my repaired Emotiva Airmotiv 4S power monitors back from Emotiva yesterday.

Mike

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2,652 of 6,930
I briefly used it as a preamp for my Panache, which led to K1000 and HE-6. The difference was not large, to my ears.

Jun 30, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #2,653 of 6,930
Then look up @AuditoryCanvas in the LYR2 tube rolling thread. In his signature, he’s selling 6n3p 1959-1964 Foton double Mica tubes for $25 a pair. Best inexpensive tubes to start you off with. They are good and better then most tubes that are triple the price and more. He’s a great and honest guy who tests for leaks and shorts and they’re matched as close as possible.
Regards

Can second that AuditoryCanvas is great to deal with.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,654 of 6,930
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Mjolnir 2 with the Audio-GD Master 9?

I am looking for a tubed amp option and am wondering if the SS section of the Mjolnir is comparable to the Master 9 that I already have. If so, it would free both cash, space and the possible investition in a balanced switch as my DAC only has 1 set of balanced outputs...

Thanks for any input.

d.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,655 of 6,930
Having been on a major Schiit spending spree over the last 6 months I am in the process of selling audio gear I no longer use. A few days ago I sold my Valhalla 1. Yesterday boxing it up to go to its new home, I put it back into my main system (with its stock tubes) just to check it was still working ok. This is the first time I've listened to it since I upgraded my DAC from Bifrost 4490 to Yggy v2.

After about 30 minutes or so, I was regretting my decision to sell my Valhalla 1. It gives my HD600 such a rich, full and enveloping sound and a level of engagement that neither my Mjolnir 2 (with its stock tubes) or Jotunheim provides. When I listen to my HD600, I usually need to bump up the sub-bass and lift the very top octave slightly to make them sound "full range" to my ears, but the Valhalla 1 does this by itself with no EQ needed. It also provides an engaging "wetness" to the sound that none of my other HP amps offer. I presume this is due to the Valhalla 1's higher output impedance of 20 ohms, which helps high impedance headphones to "bloom" and sound fuller and more relaxed?

I'm not one to pull out of a deal so the Valhalla 1 shipped out this morning, but I do have sellers remorse! I'm beginning to re-think my views on output impedance as I was of the opinion that "the lower the better", so that the amp exerts maximum control over whatever headphone it is partnered with, thus giving you a level playing field when making comparisons between different headphones (I review headphones as a hobby). However this of course disregards the possibility that particular headphones were designed to perform best at particular output impedances. I guess this is the reason why the guys at Schiit recommend OTL amps for Sennheiser HD 'phones?

You can see where this is going(!)... Should every high-impedance headphone enthusiast have at least one OTL amp in their system? Should I head over to the Schiit site just now and add a Valhalla 2 to my cart to rectify the problem I've just created for myself? Or will my sellers remorse soon be quashed by the vintage 1960s Siemens PCC88 and Tesla ECC88 tubes I am awaiting delivery for my Mjolnir 2?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back