Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 15, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #2,611 of 6,930
Never had this issue with any of my Schiit. upload_2018-5-15_15-31-0.jpeg
even when left on all day none of my cases ever buckled.
When needed I like Herbie's Tender foot to add a little clearance.
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm
I mistakenly ordered the tall size for under my LYR3 and JOT (should have ordered short like under my MJ2).
I use the tall under my SwitchWitch which comes for rack mount so no feet at all.
I use the short ones under my MJ2 for a little more clearance. Nothing under the rest of the gear.
I have no vibration issues, I think the stand with extra shelf weights well over 100lbs and is rigid,
all the equipment adds another 110lbs, so I can't say if they will solve those types of problems.
And I don't have speakers so no airborne vibration to transmit through structure or air.
They do not mar the surfaces underneath, but I haven't tried stacking with the Rag, Jot, Or LYR3
as they get much warmer than the Yggy, and I don't need to.

May 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,612 of 6,930
Never had this issue with any of my Schiit.
even when left on all day none of my cases ever buckled.
When needed I like Herbie's Tender foot to add a little clearance.
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm
I mistakenly ordered the tall size for under my LYR3 and JOT (should have ordered short like under my MJ2).
I use the tall under my SwitchWitch which comes for rack mount so no feet at all.
I use the short ones under my MJ2 for a little more clearance. Nothing under the rest of the gear.
I have no vibration issues, I think the stand with extra shelf weights well over 100lbs and is rigid,
all the equipment adds another 110lbs, so I can't say if they will solve those types of problems.
And I don't have speakers so no airborne vibration to transmit through structure or air.
They do not mar the surfaces underneath, but I haven't tried stacking with the Rag, Jot, Or LYR3
as they get much warmer than the Yggy, and I don't need to.

nice rack but on casters? This is a Naim Fraim, serious isolation :satellite:
fraim_3_0.png

May 15, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #2,613 of 6,930
nice rack but on casters? This is a Naim Fraim, serious isolation :satellite:
fraim_3_0.png
Yes on casters, I have no vibration isolation issues to deal with because of where I placed it and my general ambient environment.
And the way I'm always playing around with different gear, cables, etc., from time to time those spikes would not be easy to allow movement of the stand.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #2,614 of 6,930
Mine also rocked on its 4 feet worse when it was in prolonged use. It runs hot so I think the case warps! I sat the existing feet on Solid Spikes (ebay) sorbothane 40mm hemispheres its sunk into the top of the dome and is rock solid. No noticable change in the sound but it is sitting on top of thick glass on ball bearings on a Naim Fraim.

I'm thinking of placing the Mjolnir 2 directly onto sorbothane hemispheres instead of using the stock feet, to give me the flexibility to position the hemispheres for optimal levelling. Just wondering if the temperature of the metal chassis will melt the sorbothane? Is sorbothane "melt-proof"?

May 16, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #2,615 of 6,930
I'm thinking of placing the Mjolnir 2 directly onto sorbothane hemispheres instead of using the stock feet, to give me the flexibility to position the hemispheres for optimal levelling. Just wondering if the temperature of the metal chassis will melt the sorbothane? Is sorbothane "melt-proof"?

I'm not sure, I'd only ever used those on a turn table before....... not renound for getting hot. According the the interwang 'melting point of Sorbothane® is 150°F'

May 16, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,617 of 6,930
I use sorbothane spheres under my Mjolnir 2, they have been there for around a year with no issues.

May 23, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,618 of 6,930
I now have sorbothane hemispheres under all 4 feet of my Mjolnir 2 and it has levelled/stabilised the amp to very good effect and also anchors the unit in place much better. I've also put 4 under my Yggdrasil to maintain aesthetic continuity.

Last night was the first time I've listened to my HD800S since putting the Yggy and Mjolnir 2 in my system. I haven't listened to my HD800S for several months having been away, so it's possible my ears' tonal preferences have drifted during this time, however I'm finding the Yggy + M2 + HD800S combination rather thin, metallic and anaemic sounding. There seems to be too much emphasis above 8kHz, and not enough body and presence in the mids around 2kHz (vocals seem distant), and the low end is weaker than I remember. In fact I now prefer the tonal balance of the Focal Utopia, which I had previously ranked 2nd to the HD800S. I've only been running the M2 for a few days (probably equates to a burn-in of less than 20hrs) so I'm wondering if the stock tubes need more burn-in time? Does the tonal presentation delivered by the stock tubes change with a longer burn-in?

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #2,619 of 6,930
I now have sorbothane hemispheres under all 4 feet of my Mjolnir 2 and it has levelled/stabilised the amp to very good effect and also anchors the unit in place much better. I've also put 4 under my Yggdrasil to maintain aesthetic continuity.

Last night was the first time I've listened to my HD800S since putting the Yggy and Mjolnir 2 in my system. I haven't listened to my HD800S for several months having been away, so it's possible my ears' tonal preferences have drifted during this time, however I'm finding the Yggy + M2 + HD800S combination rather thin, metallic and anaemic sounding. There seems to be too much emphasis above 8kHz, and not enough body and presence in the mids around 2kHz (vocals seem distant), and the low end is weaker than I remember. In fact I now prefer the tonal balance of the Focal Utopia, which I had previously ranked 2nd to the HD800S. I've only been running the M2 for a few days (probably equates to a burn-in of less than 20hrs) so I'm wondering if the stock tubes need more burn-in time? Does the tonal presentation delivered by the stock tubes change with a longer burn-in?

It’ll take about another 20-25 hours for those tubes to settle but in truth the stock tubes aren’t really that great.

Grab a pair of warm, smooth tubes, that will take the edge off the HD800s. Amperex Orange Globes 6DJ8, Western Electric 396A (with the adapter), etc..

Hopefully different tubes will provide a better experience for you.

May 26, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #2,620 of 6,930
Curious to know if anyone here had tried connecting the Mjolnir 2 to a speaker amp. Ive seen some folks use the Mjolnir 2 with their active speakers.

May 27, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,621 of 6,930
I recently started running LISST tubes in my MJ2 with my HD800+SDR and have been tremendously impressed with the bass extension. It matches or beats any tube I've rolled. The highs are also well accounted for, which would be a problem, but the Loki 8khz knob does a great job of attenuating the LISST treble. While it's less effective at reducing the stock HD800 6 khz peak, it's exactly what LISST needs here. Additionally, for bass heavy music, the Loki 20 Hz knob brings things up nicely on the fully solid-state MJ2. No tubey euphonics with LISST, but the responsiveness to EQ allows me to create a highly desirable frequency response.

Planning to upgrade from Mimby to Gungnir DS or Gumby soon. The entire system continues to impress me.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,622 of 6,930
It’ll take about another 20-25 hours for those tubes to settle but in truth the stock tubes aren’t really that great.

Grab a pair of warm, smooth tubes, that will take the edge off the HD800s. Amperex Orange Globes 6DJ8, Western Electric 396A (with the adapter), etc..

Hopefully different tubes will provide a better experience for you.

With 50hrs burn-in now on the stock tubes I decided to perform another comparison between Mj2 and Jot, using both my HD800S and also the ADX5000 which I currently have on home demo (I really like the 5000, it sounds like a cross between the HD800S and Utopia!). Both headphones are being driven in balanced mode.

I wish it weren't so, but I prefer Jot's presentation. It's very clean, very resolving, has a very low noise floor, delivers grippy bass with extension and slam, and projects vocals with remarkable presence/clarity.

Mj2 with stock tubes by comparison is less resolving, it presents a larger but less focused and more diffuse soundstage, has less resolve across the board, delivers a weaker/mushier low end, and it pulls vocals into the distance.

I was very much hoping to prefer Mj2 because it looks so much better in my system and I've always been drawn to the romantic glow of tubes, but sadly I don't, at least with the stock tubes. Trouble is I don't think I'm cut out to embark on an epic tube rolling journey, as it will be very difficult with my cerebral palsy to swap tubes in and out, so I'm hoping can make the right choice first time.

I'd be really grateful for advice on a tube recommendation that gets me as close as possible to matching Jot's transparency/resolve and tonal balance, if such a tube exists?

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,623 of 6,930
With 50hrs burn-in now on the stock tubes I decided to perform another comparison between Mj2 and Jot, using both my HD800S and also the ADX5000 which I currently have on home demo (I really like the 5000, it sounds like a cross between the HD800S and Utopia!). Both headphones are being driven in balanced mode.

I wish it weren't so, but I prefer Jot's presentation. It's very clean, very resolving, has a very low noise floor, delivers grippy bass with extension and slam, and projects vocals with remarkable presence/clarity.

Mj2 with stock tubes by comparison is less resolving, it presents a larger but less focused and more diffuse soundstage, has less resolve across the board, delivers a weaker/mushier low end, and it pulls vocals into the distance.

I was very much hoping to prefer Mj2 because it looks so much better in my system and I've always been drawn to the romantic glow of tubes, but sadly I don't, at least with the stock tubes. Trouble is I don't think I'm cut out to embark on an epic tube rolling journey, as it will be very difficult with my cerebral palsy to swap tubes in and out, so I'm hoping can make the right choice first time.

I'd be really grateful for advice on a tube recommendation that gets me as close as possible to matching Jot's transparency/resolve and tonal balance, if such a tube exists?

MJ2's stock tubes are terrible.

If you like Jot try LISST in MJ2. With a bit of EQ, it's my personal favorite right now for similiar reasons you state, best bass. Also, if you want to make rolling tubes easier buy 4 socket savers and stack them. It puts the tubes level with the chassis and they're easy to remove.

May 31, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,624 of 6,930

I'll say that I've personally never liked the stock tubes on the Mjolnir 2. They're made to be produced in mass for a low price so I understand you're feeling towards the sound. If you were in the U.S. I'd of sent you a few pairs of Russian tubes to try out. Let me look through my stash of tubes and find that one pair that was very fast, with an almost SS like sound, with a nice touch of tube euphony. I've had the Jotunheim before so I'm hoping my memory serves me right with comparing them.

Once I find the tube, I'll see if AuditoryCanvas has a pair to sell with the adapter so you can try them out. They're cheap and not expensive but will run you around $60-80 give or take with the adapters. The next tube that I can think of that sounds fast, is very detailed, and has a bit of tube euphony would be the Siemen's E188CC but they run around $250-300 now. If you're interested in those I can find of pair of them for much cheaper but with a USA mfg label. I'm sure it'll be cheaper than the full price for the ones with the Siemen's label but will most likely be shipped from the US.

I'll shoot you a PM once I get back in town on Saturday evening.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #2,625 of 6,930
MJ2's stock tubes are terrible.

If you like Jot try LISST in MJ2. With a bit of EQ, it's my personal favorite right now for similiar reasons you state, best bass. Also, if you want to make rolling tubes easier buy 4 socket savers and stack them. It puts the tubes level with the chassis and they're easy to remove.

Interestingly I've read some comparisons of Jot vs Mj2 with LISST and the consensus seems to be a preference for Jot as it is more resolving. Would you agree with this conclusion?

I was actually considering buying some tubemonger socket savers to make swapping tubes easier, but then I have the difficulty to remove the socket savers if I ever need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back