Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #2,657 of 6,930
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,658 of 6,930
In all seriousness, though, MJ2 is a much more versatile amplifier that can meet effectively every use case you could ask for. HE-6, K1000, Abyss—it can drive them fine, they'll sound great. Would a power amp make you smile even more? Some would, some wouldn't. Be careful about noise floor, though: most power amps are really loud. The only amp that beats MJ2 on power-to-noise floor is, of course, Ragnarok.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,659 of 6,930
This is true.

However Ive yet to hear the Lyr 3 and how it stacks against the MJ2z

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,661 of 6,930
Having been on a major Schiit spending spree over the last 6 months I am in the process of selling audio gear I no longer use. A few days ago I sold my Valhalla 1. Yesterday boxing it up to go to its new home, I put it back into my main system (with its stock tubes) just to check it was still working ok. This is the first time I've listened to it since I upgraded my DAC from Bifrost 4490 to Yggy v2.

After about 30 minutes or so, I was regretting my decision to sell my Valhalla 1. It gives my HD600 such a rich, full and enveloping sound and a level of engagement that neither my Mjolnir 2 (with its stock tubes) or Jotunheim provides. When I listen to my HD600, I usually need to bump up the sub-bass and lift the very top octave slightly to make them sound "full range" to my ears, but the Valhalla 1 does this by itself with no EQ needed. It also provides an engaging "wetness" to the sound that none of my other HP amps offer. I presume this is due to the Valhalla 1's higher output impedance of 20 ohms, which helps high impedance headphones to "bloom" and sound fuller and more relaxed?

I'm not one to pull out of a deal so the Valhalla 1 shipped out this morning, but I do have sellers remorse! I'm beginning to re-think my views on output impedance as I was of the opinion that "the lower the better", so that the amp exerts maximum control over whatever headphone it is partnered with, thus giving you a level playing field when making comparisons between different headphones (I review headphones as a hobby). However this of course disregards the possibility that particular headphones were designed to perform best at particular output impedances. I guess this is the reason why the guys at Schiit recommend OTL amps for Sennheiser HD 'phones?

You can see where this is going(!)... Should every high-impedance headphone enthusiast have at least one OTL amp in their system? Should I head over to the Schiit site just now and add a Valhalla 2 to my cart to rectify the problem I've just created for myself? Or will my sellers remorse soon be quashed by the vintage 1960s Siemens PCC88 and Tesla ECC88 tubes I am awaiting delivery for my Mjolnir 2?

I identify with a lot of this post. I have a lot of ambiguity toward MJ2, even versus my Vali 2, despite the fact that it does basically everything "better". MJ2 always technically impresses me but I don't get the involvement. I prefer Lyr 3 and Valhalla 2 sonically to MJ2, but damn it so much Schiit in the house already.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,663 of 6,930
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's the best way to insert socket savers into Mjolnir 2? It is easier to insert the tube into the socket saver first and then insert the whole thing into the amp, or is it safer for push the socket saver into the amp first and then insert the tube into the saver?

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,664 of 6,930
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's the best way to insert socket savers into Mjolnir 2? It is easier to insert the tube into the socket saver first and then insert the whole thing into the amp, or is it safer for push the socket saver into the amp first and then insert the tube into the saver?
For the “first time”, I’d insert the tube into the SS then insert into the amp. After that, never pull out the SS and then just insert the tubes into the SS once you start rolling.
When I first start rolling with new SS’s, I use a Q-tip to hold the SS down so it doesn’t wiggle or come out when I pull out the tube. After a while, the SS pin holes per say loosens up, it becomes easier to take out or place the next set of tubes into the SS.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,665 of 6,930
I like the bit about the Q-tip.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2,666 of 6,930
A wooden popsicle stick is a better option imo

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #2,668 of 6,930
Is the SE output on the Mjolnir 2 really as bad as some people say? I plan on upgrading to the Ether Flow Open soon, so going balanced will be nice, but I currently have the K712.

If I recall, the MJ2 SE output sums you to 2 watts. You might as well be using Magni or Vali and save $700. The extreme power is a major selling point of the amp.

Edit: OK, guess I didn't answer the question. No, it's not "bad" in an absolute sense.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,669 of 6,930

Users who are viewing this thread

Back