Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #346 of 6,930
Heater current draw on an e288cc is 475mA, which exceeds the capacity of the MJ2, I would not suggest using them. The original Lyr had a heater circuit that could support higher current than Lyr2 or MJ2.

Thanks,
  -Mike

Ok. I caught brent jessee on the phone before he shipped them. I will come up with something else....

Thanks for the reply.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #347 of 6,930
Besides the obvious Gungnir Multibit, what DACs are people pairing the Mjolnir 2 with?

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #348 of 6,930
I have finally rolled in the LISST tubes into the MJ2. So far it sounds meh , the bass not nearly as impactfull, when I have real tubes in it. The mids are nice but seem distant, perhaps veiled. The highs are fair, not as good as a tube. These impressions are after, 30 minutes. I shall check on the sound in a day or so.

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #349 of 6,930
I have finally rolled in the LISST tubes into the MJ2. So far it sounds meh , the bass not nearly as impactfull, when I have real tubes in it. The mids are nice but seem distant, perhaps veiled. The highs are fair, not as good as a tube. These impressions are after, 30 minutes. I shall check on the sound in a day or so.

Which tubes have you tried so far?

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #350 of 6,930
Which tubes have you tried so far?

I have used the following tubes NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, Telefunken TK's, NOS Ediswan CV2492, Genalex Gold Lions and the stock tubes. I have barely scratched the surface of tube rolling. My favorite tube are the NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum, which I use on special occasions.

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #351 of 6,930
I have used the following tubes NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, Telefunken TK's, NOS Ediswan CV2492, Genalex Gold Lions and the stock tubes. I have barely scratched the surface of tube rolling. My favorite tube are the NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum, which I use on special occasions.

What are your initial impressions between the tube's you've tried?

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #352 of 6,930
What are your initial impressions between the tube's you've tried?

Best tubes NOS telefunken E88CC platinum>NOS Ediswan> Genalex Gold Lion> Telefunken TK's. I will place the LISST once I have listened some more.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #353 of 6,930
Spec question with regards to pairing it with the Woo Audio Wee, the dynamic-to-electrostatic headphone converter, for future electrostatic headphones.

So per the user manual, the M2 has the following outputs: "Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel."

WEE says "A minimum of 3 watts of power amp inputs are recommended or you will experience sound distortion."

Is this enough power?

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #354 of 6,930
Spec question with regards to pairing it with the Woo Audio Wee, the dynamic-to-electrostatic headphone converter, for future electrostatic headphones.

So per the user manual, the M2 has the following outputs: "Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel."

WEE says "A minimum of 3 watts of power amp inputs are recommended or you will experience sound distortion."

Is this enough power?

The M2 only has a headphone output. You need an amplifier with speaker outputs to use with the Wee. Yeah,you could cobble something to make sound happen through the headphone jack, but it's only barely enough power under the best of situations. Look for a different amp.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #355 of 6,930
Sep 20, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #356 of 6,930
Hi reddog, I'm looking at springing for the same Telefunken E88CC's. I'm looking at Upscale's offerings and while I will definitely be investing in platinum grade I was wondering if you can comment on the cryo-treated option.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #357 of 6,930

Is this enough power?

The M2 only has a headphone output. You need an amplifier with speaker outputs to use with the Wee. Yeah,you could cobble something to make sound happen through the headphone jack, but it's only barely enough power under the best of situations. Look for a different amp.

This is an interesting area. Typically with these Electrostat amplifiers you hook up a true speaker amplifier to the WEE. 

Since the mjolnir is so powerful, it might work to hook up the WEE to the 4-pin headphone out on the front. However, you'd probably be better off with a true speaker amp.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #358 of 6,930
Sep 21, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #359 of 6,930
Hi reddog, I'm looking at springing for the same Telefunken E88CC's. I'm looking at Upscale's offerings and while I will definitely be investing in platinum grade I was wondering if you can comment on the cryo-treated option.

Thanks in advance.

+1 on this. I'm considering the MJ2, but am new to both balanced and tube amps. Still trying to understand the various options for tubes and how the sound changes depending on tube, amp, headphone pairing. Def interested in understanding Gold vs Platinum and Cryo treatment. Nothing like jumping in the deep end. Thanks for any insight or a reference to resources.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #360 of 6,930
+1 on this. I'm considering the MJ2, but am new to both balanced and tube amps. Still trying to understand the various options for tubes and how the sound changes depending on tube, amp, headphone pairing. Def interested in understanding Gold vs Platinum and Cryo treatment. Nothing like jumping in the deep end. Thanks for any insight or a reference to resources.

I try to stay away from the Cryo treated tubes. I recommend platinum or gold plated tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back