Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 13, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,246 of 6,973
  Does this mean you have heard the new WA5-LE and compared it with the Mjolnir 2? If so, which do you recommend to go for (the huge price difference is noted...) 

Quote:
The wa5lev2 is more musical, more refined, more transparent. It is not 4x any of these things, and it is 4x the price. It can drive he6 well, as well as lcd 3 and 4. I don't love he1000 but it drove that well too. If it were me, I'd buy the wa5 and the wee so as to drive speakers, headphones, and electrostats.

All told wa5le, which is being replaced by something else early next year, is an ok value, but I can't see myself dropping the $$$ until I can afford it's bigger brother.

There are also lots of interesting powered speaker options for near-field listening if that suffices for your room speaker needs. the MJ2 can run them and a subwoofer to create a satisfying headphone and speaker system.  I don't know about driving electrostats.  I don't know how Woo handles repairs when buying direct, but  I've needed to ship products back to the Pacific Rim for repairs and the cost including insurance was formidable.  That may not be an issue if someone can afford the Woo products to begin with, but it is a thought. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,247 of 6,973
  I don't know how Woo handles repairs when buying direct, but  I've needed to ship products back to the Pacific Rim for repairs and the cost including insurance was formidable.  That may not be an issue if someone can afford the Woo products to begin with, but it is a thought. 

Just to clarify, Woo products, are made in New York, not the Pacific Rim.  Like Schiit, they have a well-earned reputation for customer care.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,249 of 6,973
The wa5lev2 is more musical, more refined, more transparent. It is not 4x any of these things, and it is 4x the price. It can drive he6 well, as well as lcd 3 and 4. I don't love he1000 but it drove that well too. If it were me, I'd buy the wa5 and the wee so as to drive speakers, headphones, and electrostats.

All told wa5le, which is being replaced by something else early next year, is an ok value, but I can't see myself dropping the $$$ until I can afford it's bigger brother.

I thought the WA5LE and the WA5 have both been upgraded just back in late 2015, where have you heard that they are being replaced by something else? I was thinking to get the Mjolnir 2 (versatility, options, lower price, form factor) first to drive potential cans (Ether, LCD 4) until I can save up and get the WA5 to drive both headphones and speakers .... 

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,252 of 6,973
It's a capable choice that demonstrates a great value. Obviously not quite as transparent as something for 3x the price from Cavalli or Woo, but you will not find it wanting.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,254 of 6,973
  After going through LISST, Reflektor 75 HG's, and other various tubes, I've finally settled  on the Ifi NOS 6922 tubes.  Sounds wonderful with MJ2, "for me" it checks all the right boxes in term clarity, warmth, bass impact, sound stage, etc..    

Did you mean ifi-audio.com? I am looking for a pair of 6922s too. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,255 of 6,973
  Did you mean ifi-audio.com? I am looking for a pair of 6922s too. Thanks!

After going through LISST, Reflektor 75 HG's, and other various tubes, I've finally settled  on the Ifi NOS 6922 tubes.  Sounds wonderful with MJ2, "for me" it checks all the right boxes in term clarity, warmth, bass impact, sound stage, etc..    

I currently have the Reflektor 75 HG's in my Mjolnir 2 they sound incredible . Id love to try the Ifi NOS 6922 because as far as my ears tell me, the holy grails are the best I have heard, it would take a lot to beat them.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,256 of 6,973

I currently have the Reflektor 75 HG's in my Mjolnir 2 they sound incredible . Id love to try the Ifi NOS 6922 because as far as my ears tell me, the holy grails are the best I have heard, it would take a lot to beat them.

Yes the 75 HG's were incredible as it does everything well.  But I actually preferred LISST over 75HG's.  I recall'ed there were others either on this thread or the LISST thread had the same result.  What I didn't like with LISST was end of day still lack tube warmth, but the Ifi NOS 6922 in my setup and to my ears, takes the Best of 75HG and LISST together into a single package.  More importantly the IFI Nos 6922 are quite affordable compared to 75HG.

Again, as with Tubes, YMMV.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,257 of 6,973
  Yes the 75 HG's were incredible as it does everything well.  But I actually preferred LISST over 75HG's.  I recall'ed there were others either on this thread or the LISST thread had the same result.  What I didn't like with LISST was end of day still lack tube warmth, but the Ifi NOS 6922 in my setup and to my ears, takes the Best of 75HG and LISST together into a single package.  More importantly the IFI Nos 6922 are quite affordable compared to 75HG.

any idea where I could pick up a set that ship internationally , id love to try a pair and hear them for myself.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,260 of 6,973

Oh, that's actually very interesting. They are reasonably priced and widely available, much easier than endless tube hunting on e-bay and less known websites that hardly ever ship to where I reside (or Europe at all some times, even) for someone who is both very busy as new to valves.

Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it a lot. Also cool picture! The tubes light up very nicely and I like that iFi provides the custom adapters/holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back