Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 18, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,261 of 6,973
  Yes the 75 HG's were incredible as it does everything well.  But I actually preferred LISST over 75HG's.  I recall'ed there were others either on this thread or the LISST thread had the same result.  What I didn't like with LISST was end of day still lack tube warmth, but the Ifi NOS 6922 in my setup and to my ears, takes the Best of 75HG and LISST together into a single package.  More importantly the IFI Nos 6922 are quite affordable compared to 75HG.

Again, as with Tubes, YMMV.

I had no idea these even existed. Any place online where they can be purchased?

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,262 of 6,973
I had no idea these even existed. Any place online where they can be purchased?

Seems to be a tougher question than I'd initially thought it to be. I reside in Portugal and our local iFi dealer has those in stock, they have been for quite a while and don't seem to be going anywhere. On the other hand I've looked through pretty much every online store I'm familiar with (mostly in the UK and US) that sells iFi products and not a single one has the tubes for sale, neither do any of the 4 Amazon branches I checked.

So strange. I don't think our local dealer sells internationally but here they are on this page 115€ for the matched pair.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,263 of 6,973
  Yes the 75 HG's were incredible as it does everything well.  But I actually preferred LISST over 75HG's.  I recall'ed there were others either on this thread or the LISST thread had the same result.  What I didn't like with LISST was end of day still lack tube warmth, but the Ifi NOS 6922 in my setup and to my ears, takes the Best of 75HG and LISST together into a single package.  More importantly the IFI Nos 6922 are quite affordable compared to 75HG.

Again, as with Tubes, YMMV.

BTW, do you have socket savers under those? Or do the iFi tubes sit up that high as is?

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,264 of 6,973

Seems to be a tougher question than I'd initially thought it to be. I reside in Portugal and our local iFi dealer has those in stock, they have been for quite a while and don't seem to be going anywhere. On the other hand I've looked through pretty much every online store I'm familiar with (mostly in the UK and US) that sells iFi products and not a single one has the tubes for sale, neither do any of the 4 Amazon branches I checked.

So strange. I don't think our local dealer sells internationally but here they are on this page 115€ for the matched pair.

I just found that the iFi dealer about an hour from me has them so I had them shipped to me. Looking forward to hearing them. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,265 of 6,973
Awesome, do let me know how they sound! Those white socket savers come with the tubes and aren't exactly advertised as "socket savers" but as something different, I forget the exact wording - no idea what they're meant to do different/better than regular ones but think iFi has the info on their site.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,266 of 6,973
  Awesome, do let me know how they sound! Those white socket savers come with the tubes and aren't exactly advertised as "socket savers" but as something different, I forget the exact wording - no idea what they're meant to do different/better than regular ones but think iFi has the info on their site.

They convert the GE non 6922 tubes to 6922 tubes. I'm just wondering if that picture he has other socket saves under that. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,267 of 6,973
BTW, if anyone is looking for these tubes,  I emailed every USA iFi dealer and can tell you which ones have gotten back to me saying they have them. Most say they don't stock them, but some do. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,268 of 6,973

any idea where I could pick up a set that ship internationally , id love to try a pair and hear them for myself.

I've been using two tubes from this family for more than a few months and they are my go-to tubes. And I do have most of the hi-cost $$$ usual suspects.
With the adapter, these will work with all the Schiit tube amps being in the ~300mA heater filament category. I have all the Schiit tube amps (incl. Lyr1) and use them in all of them.
At the moment, they have replaced my 50's and 60's Telefunkens/Amperex/Philips/Siemens and my Reflector 6N23Ps. Definitely my favorites in the MJ2.

The two tubes are the Western Electric 396A and the Reflector 6N3P-E. I have used multiple production years of each with excellent consistency. They are close, like them both very much, in a pinch I would choose the Reflector 6N3P-E. They both have superb dynamics, clarity, and detail with good extension top and bottom. If you want more info, PM me, or 'quote' me here and I'll respond accordingly.

From Baldr:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784471/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter/540#post_12457606
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread/480#post_12466041

The adapter I have used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191636111735?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Reflector 6N3P-E is now my constant use tube. A previous information post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/9300#post_12570846

Cost: Adapters: $15/pair. Western Electric 396A: ~$50 each. Reflector 6N3P-E: Matched pair -~$20/pair; NOS in sealed original box about $2 depending on quantity.
Don't the let the current 'surplus' cost of the REFL 6N3P-E mislead you, this is one of the finest tubes available in this class. It is completely ignored at the moment.

Edit:
Recommended eBay Sellers with NOS/NIB:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/nixiestore        http://www.ebay.com/usr/uralspirit        http://www.ebay.com/usr/world-ua

For NOS matched pairs:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/orpheus_2005

NOTE: I am only referring to the REFL 6N3P-E.
Also I'm sure with additional interest there will be more sellers offering these and matching pairs.
For those interested, production years auditioned and/or burning: 74/75/77/79/81/83/86/87.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,269 of 6,973

I've been using two tubes from this family for more than a few months and they are my go-to tubes. And I do have most of the hi-cost $$$ usual suspects.
With the adapter, these will work with all the Schiit tube amps being in the ~300mA heater filament category. I have all the Schiit tube amps (incl. Lyr1) and use them in all of them.
At the moment, they have replaced my 50's and 60's Telefunkens/Amperex/Philips/Siemens and my Reflector 6N23Ps. Definitely my favorites in the MJ2.

The two tubes are the Western Electric 396A and the Reflector 6N3P-E. I have used multiple production years of each with excellent consistency. They are close, like them both very much, in a pinch I would choose the Reflector 6N3P-E. They both have superb dynamics, clarity, and detail with good extension top and bottom. If you want more info, PM me, or 'quote' me here and I'll respond accordingly.

From Baldr:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread/480#post_12466041

The adapter I have used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191636111735?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Reflector 6N3P-E is now my constant use tube. A previous information post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/9300#post_12570846

Cost: Adapters: $15/pair. Western Electric 396A: ~$50 each. Reflector 6N3P-E: Matched pair -~$20/pair; NOS in sealed original box about $2 depending on quantity.
Don't the let the current 'surplus' cost of the REFL 6N3P-E mislead you, this is one of the finest tubes available in this class. It is completely ignored at the moment.

Thanks for the info. What are the main differences in the sound between the Western Electric 396A and Reflector 6N3P-E ?

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,270 of 6,973

Thanks for the info. What are the main differences in the sound between the Western Electric 396A and Reflector 6N3P-E ?

The REFL 6N3P-E has a little less energy/diffusion in the upper bass/lower mids than the best REFL 6N23P, if you know that tube (one of my favorites).

The WE 396A has less emphasis still in the upper bass/lower mids, which is not to say anyone would find it lacking in that range.

They both have extended, accurate bass, with as much impact as I've heard in any tube, gorgeous mids, and extended sweet highs. Both are natural and dynamic.
And of course, both with super 3D ambient capabilities, or they wouldn't be in this discussion.

Check my equipment list to see what I'm using. If interested, I can also list some of the tubes I in my collection and experience.

I have 6 or 8 of the 396As and they all seem to be fine, no noise, no microphonics. The RFL 6N3P-E is one of the best built tubes I've come across, difficult to find a noisy or microphonic tube.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,271 of 6,973
On another topic, I'm still confused as to if it's better to run high or low gain on the MJ2 (with HD800s)? On low gain, I still have plenty to go on the volume pot so should I stay there?

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,272 of 6,973
They convert the GE non 6922 tubes to 6922 tubes. I'm just wondering if that picture he has other socket saves under that. 

Oh whoops, my misunderstanding.

On another topic, I'm still confused as to if it's better to run high or low gain on the MJ2 (with HD800s)? On low gain, I still have plenty to go on the volume pot so should I stay there?

I personally run low gain on all my amps with the option to, I might be "wrong" but I can't tell a difference asides volume, even with HD800s 300-600ohm Beyers, etc. I wonder why that is some times, I'm admittedly a quite listener and always have been but with both my DAC volume (or like Schiit ones no knob to begin with) as well Tidal HiFi maxed if I go anywhere near like 10 o'clock on any of my good amps with standard songs playing that are not super loud nor too quiet I feel like the headphone drivers and/or my ears will explode at any moment. Easier to have more pot to work with on low rather than high, feels weird to have an amp playing loudly at like 6 o'clock.

I guess experiences differ because I just use Tidal, someone that's listening to a regular CD, vinyl or just another player like F2K or JRiver probably handles volume levels differently than I - wouldn't know, I'm too new to the hobby to have any experience with anything but computer audio.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #1,273 of 6,973
Just bought k1000. Between them and he6, I may need to upgrade to rag or something else. If only rag had tubes...but Jason said that will never happen.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #1,274 of 6,973
Just bought k1000. Between them and he6, I may need to upgrade to rag or something else. If only rag had tubes...but Jason said that will never happen.

I haven't heard the combo, but I think you will be fine, as far as I can tell. The K1000 specs show a min of 100mW and max 1W at 120Ohms. The MJ2 should have plenty of power for them, especially balanced. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,275 of 6,973
The HE6 pairing is profoundly ok. It's not as musical or transparent as the WA5, WA22-SE, and others. I'm disappointed I couldn't hear rag at the SF meet, but have heard repeatedly that the DNA Stratus drives K1000 and HE6 better than either one. If one comes used, I might consider it, but the Woo stuff is 5k+, which is disappointingly unaffordable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back