Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 19, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,276 of 6,973
  The HE6 pairing is profoundly ok. It's not as musical or transparent as the WA5, WA22-SE, and others. I'm disappointed I couldn't hear rag at the SF meet, but have heard repeatedly that the DNA Stratus drives K1000 and HE6 better than either one. If one comes used, I might consider it, but the Woo stuff is 5k+, which is disappointingly unaffordable. 

I think Paulie just posted up his kitted out Stratus for sale (somehow!) on the classifieds section a couple hours ago. Beautiful amp, incredibly good and for a very reasonable price especially considering the wait time for Donald to build one I up to like 6+ months right now far as I'm aware. Super expensive still obviously compared to the MJ2 but all things considered and compared to the price the WA5 (LE or otherwise) go for that's a different story.

The Stratus is definitely special, personally I'm about as uninterested in the Rag as can be even though I love Schiit as a company and most their products. Both due to my dislike of solid state over $1k compared to equally priced tube amps as well as the fact my speakers (Devialet Phantom) have their amp built in so that function of the Rag would be useless to me.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,277 of 6,973
  Yes the 75 HG's were incredible as it does everything well.  But I actually preferred LISST over 75HG's.  I recall'ed there were others either on this thread or the LISST thread had the same result.  What I didn't like with LISST was end of day still lack tube warmth, but the Ifi NOS 6922 in my setup and to my ears, takes the Best of 75HG and LISST together into a single package.  More importantly the IFI Nos 6922 are quite affordable compared to 75HG.

Again, as with Tubes, YMMV.

I received this today and the hype is real. :)  These sound really nice for the price. Seems like iFi knows what they're doing.

They're probably not fully burned in yet but so far, they're less dark than my Amperex Orange Globes and seem to resolve all the details a bit better, without being at all strident. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #1,278 of 6,973

I received this today and the hype is real. :)  These sound really nice for the price. Seems like iFi knows what they're doing.

They're probably not fully burned in yet but so far, they're less dark than my Amperex Orange Globes and seem to resolve all the details a bit better, without being at all strident. 

I that this?

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-368468-ifi-nos-5670-6922-vacuum-tubes-pr.aspx

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,279 of 6,973
  I that this?

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-368468-ifi-nos-5670-6922-vacuum-tubes-pr.aspx

Yep, that's them. Music Direct does not have them in stock currently however I emailed several iFi dealers so PM if you want to know a few where they are in stock. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,280 of 6,973

They opened up quite a bit more for me at  ~40-50hrs.  Specifically soundstage opened up a bit more, and better dynamics.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,281 of 6,973
  They opened up quite a bit more for me at  ~40-50hrs.  Specifically soundstage opened up a bit more, and better dynamics.

Thanks. They're really pretty awesome already :)

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #1,282 of 6,973
I just ordered a pair to add to my collection.

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,284 of 6,973
What're the American dealers that have those tubes? The price is definitely right.

AudioVision in SF has them. ( http://www.audiovisionsf.com ) That's where I got mine a few days ago. 

I think you'll like them more than the Orange Globes. Wider soundstage, better micro detail retrieval without sacrificing any low or mids as far as I can tell. At least that has been my experience thusfar with them.

If you prefer to order them elsewhere, PM me and I'll give you the list of the dealers that replied saying they have them. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,285 of 6,973
Hello,

Thanks for a great thread to sort through all the Tubes for the Schiit Mjolir2.

I bought the Philips Miniwatt SQ, for my Schiilt Mjolnir 2 to upgrade from the stock 6bz7. I plugged them in and warmed up the Amp for 3 hours.

When I listened with my Audeze LCD-3 and my Grado 325e, I noticed unusually low gain. I hit the switch on the Mj2 to switch gain profile and very little improvement. Can someone please tell me if these are a good match for the Schiit Mjolnir 2?

What is the spec that I should be looking at to avoid this problem on any other tubes that I buy. And finally, is there a list of preferred tubes for Mjolnir 2 users that recommends from actual listening experience.

I am rather new to tube rolling and I would like to feel more confident before I start spending $100+ for tubes. Much appreciated. Thanks

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,286 of 6,973
Sounds like you got some old used tubes. Low power output. Anything that works in the lyr2 should work in the mj2 . There is a compatibility chart in the lyr tube roller thread. I've got quite a few pairs of miniwatts and none of them are weak. The weakest of them are more open and louder than the stock tubes.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,287 of 6,973
My prayer, with these new tubes, is that mj2 will at least be acceptable for 800/k1000/he6. Asking an amp to do all three is a borderline impossible challenge. Maybe the new wa22se could, but that's 5.5k.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,289 of 6,973
I've been thinking that I would explore active near field speakers at a later point, curious about a range of options including the JBL LSR 305, Adams a5x, KRK Rokit 5 G3, KRK VXT4 and 6, Genelec 8020, Yamaha MSP7 and HS50M, ELAC 403, M-Audio M3-8. but I decided again that life is too short and jumped in on the low end of options I've been considering.   I recently set up a pair of the JBL LSR 305's on isoacoustic desktops stands along with the JBL LSR310s powered sub running out of the MJ2/Gumby combo.  I'm amazed at how clean and spacious the sound is, sitting at the desk and how the whole embrace of the sound lifted when I got the sub dialed in.  I'm pretty sure they would sound thin compared to more expensive alternatives, but I'm delighted with how good the whole set up sounds running with Amperex tubes.   And they really are near field.  Approaching the door into the studio, about 6-8 feet from my desk chair when I've left them playing, I get hardly a clue about how big they will sound once I sit down in the sweet spot.  They create a very small space right around my desk chair that sounds a lot like my HD800 cans with everything pushed forward rather than inside my head.  I love having the opportunity to listen with both my headphones and the speakers and to listen to the headphones while playing just the sub.  It's very nice.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,290 of 6,973
Reporting in with thermal dissipation strategy. Two steps. Plus a bonus step.

1) Provide airflow under the unit. I'm using Herbie's Big Tall Tenderfoot - $50 for three, $66 for four.

2) Lift tubes out of the chassis. I've recently obtained a pair of Tubemonger NOVIB Socket Savers - $56 for a pair.

3) Bonus step - celing fan in room. Even a slight breeze at the lowest setting makes a significant difference by subtly circulating air in the room.

1 and 2 are must-haves for me that I would recommend to everyone. The unit is warm to the touch, not hot. More comfortable to use and perhaps a longer lifespan for unit.

And, it looks RADICAL! Happy exposed tubes! http://imgur.com/a/Vgji5

Probably my imagination, but I think it sounds better, too. Feels like I'm hearing the benefits of additional isolation. Audiophile words incoming... almost feels "dry" like there's less smearing of sounds. More like an anechoic chamber than before, both on 'phones and nearfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back