Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 7, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #1,232 of 6,973
I just received my mjolnir, but I'm curious if my volume pot is properly configured. Im currently plugged in like this : Spotify >ipad > Apple usb connector > FiiO e18 > line out to rca cable > mjolnir 2 rca in > akg k7xx via single ended.

At Low gain, I need to turn up the volume to 2 o clock at least to hear at my usual volume (and no I don't believe in ear piercing loudness). With high gain this is down to 11 o clock.

Can anybody kindly tell me if this is normal when listening single ended? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,233 of 6,973
It depends on 1. sensitivity of headphones, 2. recording volume level, and 3. DAC output level, but 2 o'clock not strange for single ended.

Single ended in Mjolnir 2 said to have only 1/4 power compared to balanced output.
However, I tried balanced and SE with both ETHER and came out just slightly more than 1 hour difference in volume pot setting.
Difference were about the same by PM-3 in single ended and balanced.

With ETHER balanced sourced from Gungnir Multibit balanced, I usually listen in volume pot around 9 to 12 o'clock.
But by K501 single ended, which is the most hard to drive headphones I own (much harder than HD650 or K701), could be cranked up to 3 o'clock in classical orchestral music.
Both in low gain.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #1,234 of 6,973
  A little off topic, but is anyone looking to get rid of their Mjolnir 2? I can't seem to find second hand ones being sold.

Schiit had B-stock Mjolnir 2s for $80 off of the regular price a couple months ago (I ordered mine on May 10th). I have no idea how often they release their accumulated B-stocks of particular items. I also ordered my Yggdrasil as a B-stock. I don't know if they were customer returns or there was a blemish on the outer case that's so minor, that it's not even worth noting. I wouldn't hesitate to order B-stock from them, plus you get the full warranty, which you don't get when you buy used.

Not the answer you were looking for, but if you're not in a huge rush, it's worth checking for B-stocks on their website, if you can't find a used one. I'm keeping my Mjolnir 2, but may sell my Valhalla 2.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,235 of 6,973

Schiit had B-stock Mjolnir 2s for $80 off of the regular price a couple months ago (I ordered mine on May 10th). I have no idea how often they release their accumulated B-stocks of particular items. I also ordered my Yggdrasil as a B-stock. I don't know if they were customer returns or there was a blemish on the outer case that's so minor, that it's not even worth noting. I wouldn't hesitate to order B-stock from them, plus you get the full warranty, which you don't get when you buy used.

Not the answer you were looking for, but if you're not in a huge rush, it's worth checking for B-stocks on their website, if you can't find a used one. I'm keeping my Mjolnir 2, but may sell my Valhalla 2.

Yeah, my main worry about B-stock was cosmetic damage, but with what you're saying, i might just dive in.

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,236 of 6,973
^ I got a B-stock Yggdrasil. Finished in black, which usually means it was refinished because of cosmetic damage. We have not been able to find where the blemish might have been, and other headfiers' (as well as Pete above) have stated this too over the years...

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,237 of 6,973
^ I got a B-stock Yggdrasil. Finished in black, which usually means it was refinished because of cosmetic damage. We have not been able to find where the blemish might have been, and other headfiers' (as well as Pete above) have stated this too over the years...

i didnt know they do black finish, i wish i requested that before i ordered my stack, it would look so much better in black

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,238 of 6,973
It depends on 1. sensitivity of headphones, 2. recording volume level, and 3. DAC output level, but 2 o'clock not strange for single ended.

Single ended in Mjolnir 2 said to have only 1/4 power compared to balanced output.
However, I tried balanced and SE with both ETHER and came out just slightly more than 1 hour difference in volume pot setting.
Difference were about the same by PM-3 in single ended and balanced.

With ETHER balanced sourced from Gungnir Multibit balanced, I usually listen in volume pot around 9 to 12 o'clock.
But by K501 single ended, which is the most hard to drive headphones I own (much harder than HD650 or K701), could be cranked up to 3 o'clock in classical orchestral music.
Both in low gain.

Ah ok thanks. I had the impression that anything beyond 11 o clock at low gain would have blown my low ohm akg's since the amp supposedly was one of the more powerful ones in the market.

I guess the only way to test it would be to break out the hd650s and see if it sings.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #1,239 of 6,973
You can't order black as it's only done when there's a blemish. We were incredibly lucky. My wife preferred black but it wasn't a deal-breaker. I mentioned this in the order and...Schiit had one available in B stock. It's always worth asking.

i didnt know they do black finish, i wish i requested that before i ordered my stack, it would look so much better in black

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,242 of 6,973
Can anyone tell me the total height of a gungnir/Mjolnir2 stack?  (from desktop to top of mjolnir, not including tubes)

5 1/4"

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #1,243 of 6,973
Heard a first-generation WA5-LE yesterday. It was extremely musical with HD800, but exhibited debilitating transient clipping with HE-6. Mjolnir 2, while not the last word of summit-fi refinement, provided much more power. I can turn it up to ear-splitting levels without it exhibiting any of the hideous distortion that I heard with the WA5-LEv1. I note that the second-generation WA5-LE fixed this problem.

Bottom line, I loved my Mjolnir 2 yesterday, and with my Tidal subscription, today I love it even more. <3

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #1,244 of 6,973
  Heard a first-generation WA5-LE yesterday. It was extremely musical with HD800, but exhibited debilitating transient clipping with HE-6. Mjolnir 2, while not the last word of summit-fi refinement, provided much more power. I can turn it up to ear-splitting levels without it exhibiting any of the hideous distortion that I heard with the WA5-LEv1. I note that the second-generation WA5-LE fixed this problem.

Bottom line, I loved my Mjolnir 2 yesterday, and with my Tidal subscription, today I love it even more. <3

Does this mean you have heard the new WA5-LE and compared it with the Mjolnir 2? If so, which do you recommend to go for (the huge price difference is noted...) 

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,245 of 6,973
Does this mean you have heard the new WA5-LE and compared it with the Mjolnir 2? If so, which do you recommend to go for (the huge price difference is noted...) 

The wa5lev2 is more musical, more refined, more transparent. It is not 4x any of these things, and it is 4x the price. It can drive he6 well, as well as lcd 3 and 4. I don't love he1000 but it drove that well too. If it were me, I'd buy the wa5 and the wee so as to drive speakers, headphones, and electrostats.

All told wa5le, which is being replaced by something else early next year, is an ok value, but I can't see myself dropping the $$$ until I can afford it's bigger brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back