Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #2,326 of 6,930
Thanks for your impressions. I'm looking for an upgrade path for my 650s/Atticus and was wondering if the increase in resolution and power would better help with detail resolution while still maintaining the warm musicality which made me these my favorite cans. I was thinking about getting some Miniwatts which should go a long way to improving the sound in all aspects (soundstage, detail, clarity, etc.)

The Phillips Miniwatts E188CCs are a terrific pairing with ZMF's Atticus. The tubes give the Atticus some serious punch in the mids, a nice low end, while still being resolving. The cheaper versions of these would be the WE Triple Mica 5 Stars 2C51s but you lose some instrument separation and the low end can be wooly. Which is reflected in the price of both tubes.

I have been through the entirety of this thread and while overall I see many positive comments regarding the clarity, separation and crispness of the MJ2, I don’t see a whole lot of comments regarding the bass, slam or low-end capabilities of the amp. Clearly, I may have simply missed these comments...it’s a long thread!

I am looking hard at the MJ2 to pair with balanced headphones and I want to be sure as to it’s bass capabilities. My little AGD R2R 11 has a very nice low-end “grunt” and “slam” and I really enjoy, especially when paired with my Purple Hearts.

Can you owners please comment on the above? I once owned the Lyr years ago and got rid of it as I felt it was very light sounding even with many tubes tried.

I just cannot, and will not, deal with any brightness in my amps as it just pierces my brain and ftigues me after a short time.

Out of the box with the default tubes or LISST, you won't get the low end grunt (possibly from the LISST) coming from a solid state. Other Head-Fiers have experienced a bright/brittle sound using the default tubes.

The magic happens when you start to roll tubes. Some tubes will give you that nice low end thump, some tubes will give you hauntingly beautiful mid vocals, others will almost have a solid state transient attack, and others will have a dark but enveloping 3D sound. The amp gives you the flexibility to find a suitable sound for most, if not all, headphones via tubes. You'll have to spend more to purchase the extra tubes but to me it's worth it.

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,328 of 6,930
Woohoo ... just got a notice that my MJ2’s repairs have been completed and that it is being sent back. I got it in May and the day before my xmas holiday vacation it went dead and would not turn on. I just sent a follow up email to find out the exact problem/fix. Lucky I took advantage of holiday pricing for a Vioelectric V280 else this would have been a bummed out vacation. Things are sounding very nice after burn in, nice compliment to my MJ2. Going to be using ZMF Eikon’s with the V280 & ZMF Atticus with the MJ2. Also, ordered a balanced switch from MapleTreeAudio ... I’m done now with equipment... my future funds will be devoted to increase my music library

Happy New Year everyone
Can you share any impressions of how V280 compares to MJ2? Any difference in dynamics between those two?

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #2,329 of 6,930
Can you share any impressions of how V280 compares to MJ2? Any difference in dynamics between those two?

I just hooked up the fixed unit. They replaced the fuse and two other components 'C117 & C217' (whatever they are) .. they also adjusted the bias.

I just put in a set of ifi 6922 for the first time

I would tell you the difference if I could but I don't know the audiophile terms well enough to provide the info you are seeking ... I know they are different and I like each of them

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,330 of 6,930
I would tell you the difference if I could but I don't know the audiophile terms well enough to provide the info you are seeking ... I know they are different and I like each of them
Usually, everybody loves to brag about sound at audio forums :)

Well, can you say if one seems more fast and energetic, or if one produces more sharp, crisp sound? You know, when we hear a sound of guitar string, sometimes it could have a sharp initial part, like you are feeling "edges" of sound. Have you experienced anything like this, comparing those two amps?

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,331 of 6,930
Usually, everybody loves to brag about sound at audio forums :)

Well, can you say if one seems more fast and energetic, or if one produces more sharp, crisp sound? You know, when we hear a sound of guitar string, sometimes it could have a sharp initial part, like you are feeling "edges" of sound. Have you experienced anything like this, comparing those two amps?

The volume pot on the V280 is better ... I hear the loudness levels on the MJ changing at different rates left vs right.

I might have to send the MJ2 in again because the left channel appears to be at a lower volume ... I'll need to do more testing.

I think the V280 is more wider sounding and clearer ... But that could be the tubes in the MJ2.

If you want to 'not' deal with tubes then I would suggest getting the V280 (especially on a holiday sale like I did) ....

Once you get either at home by itself you will not know the difference without having something to compare them too .... Again I don't know how to write down what I hear in an 'audiophile' fashion ... Sorry for being stupid or not having a good ear ...

When starting this hobby I set a budget for a headphone amp at no more than $1500 knowing that anything more expensive would not be worth it since I would not hear a difference

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,332 of 6,930
V280 is what, twice the price of MJ2? For that price, get the Rag, forget about tube issues, and merry xmas you have a free speaker amp as well

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,333 of 6,930
Once you get either at home by itself you will not know the difference without having something to compare them too .... Again I don't know how to write down what I hear in an 'audiophile' fashion ... Sorry for being stupid or not having a good ear ...
No problem. Thank you, anyway. The thing is, that I already have V200 (its single ended output is the same as V280). Just want to try another amp, looking for more aggressive and forward sound. I like the V200, it`s a great amp, just want to try different sound signature.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,334 of 6,930
V280 is what, twice the price of MJ2? For that price, get the Rag, forget about tube issues, and merry xmas you have a free speaker amp as well
I don`t know how good the Rag is with headphones, but this speaker amp is mostly useless. For my table I have active speakers (and most of people would have active also), for big floor-standing speakers Rag is weak. I like Schiit in general, but Ragnarok does not look interesting.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,335 of 6,930
I use both the MJ2 and V280 in balanced mode

The MJ2 issues with the left channel are due to the volume pot .. once set at a proper level both right and left channels share the same volume level

I would upgrade to the V280 if you are able to do a fully balanced setup ... It is a bit better

I have both amps because I wanted to try tubes ... There is a difference but if you are going to have just one balanced amp then the V280 or V281 would be an end game

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #2,337 of 6,930
Backorders have slipped again according
'Status: Backordered. Orders placed now are expected to ship the week of February 15th.'
I've been in the queue since Nov. 30. At that time it was:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now estimated to ship the week of December 29th."

I just checked, now it says:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now estimated to ship the week of January 19th."

No big deal, though it would have been nice to get email alerting me.

Anyone else waiting for this amp? The estimated shipping date has slipped again:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now are expected to ship the week of February 15th"

Jan 15, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,339 of 6,930
Backorders have slipped again according
'Status: Backordered. Orders placed now are expected to ship the week of February 15th.'

Anyone else waiting for this amp? The estimated shipping date has slipped again:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now are expected to ship the week of February 15th"
Exact same for me but another month is no big deal. I made it this far in life without one. If you've been reading the Schiit story you probably can appreciate what these guys might be going through. Looks like growing pains to me. By all indications they're a stand up company.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #2,340 of 6,930
BUMMER!!!!!! I bought both the balanced Gungir Multibit DAC and Mjolnir 2 as an ensemble for my 2 newly-purchased balanced Grado headphones (GS2000e and PS2000e for you Gradophiles). I got the Gungir about 10 days ago, and got an estimated delivery date of the Mjolnir2 of “week of January 19,” which is this Friday.

Since I wanted to try them together, when I found that I would not have BOTH until after the 15 day return period had expired on my Gungir, I asked Schiit to extend the return period to 15 days after I had received the Mjolnir. They said that as a courtesy, they would, and they asked that I inform them when my Mjolnir arrived.

So the wait might extend (or instead, it might just extend for those ordering the Mjolnir NOW, not last Dec. 27, when I ordered mine.) Besides, Schiit was extremely ethical by NOT charging my credit card yet for the Mjolnir. Sure, that is what they are supposed to do, i.e. not charge until shipping, but so many people charge right away when the order is placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back