Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 1, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #1,577 of 6,973
  What other headphones would be a good pair with the Mjolnir 2 + Gumby combo besides the HD 800/650?

The MJ2 has enough power to drive almost anything. So just use whatever cans sound good to you.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,578 of 6,973
  What other headphones would be a good pair with the Mjolnir 2 + Gumby combo besides the HD 800/650?

I recently picked up a pair of Beyer DT-1990s... great pairing with the MJ2 - between the two different sounding sets of earpads they include and rolling tubes on the amp, you can really dial it in to what you prefer for sound.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,579 of 6,973

Yeah, the question is better posed: "What headphones wouldn't be a good pair," and then the list is electrostatic, and maybe HE-6 and K1000 for power reasons, though even then the pairing is an acceptable entry pairing. Everything Audeze, Sennheiser, AKG, Grado, Hifiman, Mr Speakers...haven't tried Abyss but I'm sure it could drive them at least as well as HE-6.

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,580 of 6,973

Yeah, the question is better posed: "What headphones wouldn't be a good pair," and then the list is electrostatic, and maybe HE-6 and K1000 for power reasons, though even then the pairing is an acceptable entry pairing. Everything Audeze, Sennheiser, AKG, Grado, Hifiman, Mr Speakers...haven't tried Abyss but I'm sure it could drive them at least as well as HE-6.

Good to know that every headphone pairs well with it :D

every amp i've used so far has been picky about pairing with certain headphones. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,582 of 6,973
  Any one using a Mjolnir 2 with Audeze LCD-XC and/or Meze classic 99? Looking for a new amp only, suggestions welcome.

Yes Have both and driven them to their best ( i think ) with the Mjolnir 2. However my Auralic Taurus 2 with balanced Grado PS1000e and flat pads are a better SQ by quite a long way if you like rock music.So if thats what you want think about it.
Just waiting for a balanced cable for my Gen2 Beyer T1's to compare the amps.  Mj2 with Russian valves by the way. Both systems fed balanced .
Only tried Meze 99 with SE output and new design Meze pads meze stock cable. 
LCD-XC with balanced silver cables.  Hope this helps ?? Mj2 with russian valves a great system.
Auralic needs an expensive front end for its best otherwise can be a bit forward. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,583 of 6,973
  Yes Have both and driven them to their best ( i think ) with the Mjolnir 2. However my Auralic Taurus 2 with balanced Grado PS1000e and flat pads are a better SQ by quite a long way if you like rock music.So if thats what you want think about it.
Just waiting for a balanced cable for my Gen2 Beyer T1's to compare the amps.  Mj2 with Russian valves by the way. Both systems fed balanced .
Only tried Meze 99 with SE output and new design Meze pads meze stock cable. 
LCD-XC with balanced silver cables.  Hope this helps ?? Mj2 with russian valves a great system.
Auralic needs an expensive front end for its best otherwise can be a bit forward. 

thanks for the advice the Auralic Taurus 2 looks immaculately constructed, I'll give it an audition.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #1,584 of 6,973
  thanks for the advice the Auralic Taurus 2 looks immaculately constructed, I'll give it an audition.

I've used my Meze 99 on MJ2's balanced and it sounds much better than the SE.  So far the MJ2 with ifi NOS tubes sounds great with my collection of: Ether Flow C, HD800 SD, and Meze 99 all in balanced only.

Here's my Meze99 balanced: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794593/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread/780#post_12782636

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #1,585 of 6,973
  I've used my Meze 99 on MJ2's balanced and it sounds much better than the SE.  So far the MJ2 with ifi NOS tubes sounds great with my collection of: Ether Flow C, HD800 SD, and Meze 99 all in balanced only.

Here's my Meze99 balanced: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794593/meze-99-classics-discussion-impressions-thread/780#post_12782636

Balanced makes a difference, this is a balanced cable for my x7

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #1,586 of 6,973
Hey guys,

since I don't want to get into the whole tube rolling thing, I wonder if the Mjolnir 2 will sound better than Asgard/Jotunheim with LISST only?

Initially I wanted to get the Bimby/Jotunheim combo, but now I consider Gumby/MJ2 with LISST. I may get the tubes as well, just for comparison.

Right now, I have a K702, will get K7XX soon (also for comparison) and I am on the search for new headphones. Right now considering HD700 and Ether Flow. No classical music here and I don't like HD600/650/Elear sound.

Thanks for any advices!

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,587 of 6,973
  Hey guys,

since I don't want to get into the whole tube rolling thing, I wonder if the Mjolnir 2 will sound better than Asgard/Jotunheim with LISST only?

Initially I wanted to get the Bimby/Jotunheim combo, but now I consider Gumby/MJ2 with LISST. I may get the tubes as well, just for comparison.

Right now, I have a K702, will get K7XX soon (also for comparison) and I am on the search for new headphones. Right now considering HD700 and Ether Flow. No classical music here and I don't like HD600/650/Elear sound.

Thanks for any advices!

I don't particularly like the LISST in the MJ2. But I do like my Asgard 2. The MJ2 just looses some of it's magic when you use the LISST. Then again, I've really become a sucker for tube sound with my Ether C's.

If I may ask, why not stick with the stock tubes on the MJ2?

MJ2 is a fantastic amp, but if you are going to just go solid state, I'd stick with Asgard 2 or Jotunheim and it seems the Jotunheim is the more capable of the pair.

Perhaps get the Modi Multibit and Jotunheim, very good affordable combo.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #1,588 of 6,973
That pairing is a good one, for sure. MJ2 is fine at solid state but I agree it can't compete in terms of SS against dedicated SS components except in terms of power (it has, for example, nearly 3x that of Liquid Carbon).

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,589 of 6,973
I'm surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this amp. I found it to be exceptional. Responded well to tube rolling, punchy and dynamic with an air of refinement thrown in. Even with a good set of NOS tubes added, you're still under $1k. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,590 of 6,973
  I'm surprised at the seeming lack of interest in this amp. I found it to be exceptional. Responded well to tube rolling, punchy and dynamic with an air of refinement thrown in. Even with a good set of NOS tubes added, you're still under $1k. 

I love mine.  

My cat loves mine, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back