Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 14, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,546 of 6,963
  Does the MJ2 have an output switch? I think all the outputs are on all the time from what I understand.

My monitors are SE and I plan to switch my headphones to balanced.

Sheesh I think I confused it with the input switch 
confused_face.gif
 Kinda sucks then...

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,547 of 6,963
  Sheesh I think I confused it with the input switch 
confused_face.gif
 Kinda sucks then...

Yeah it's kinda weird to me as when I plugin headphones I expect not to have the same sound play out my speakers... (just like in the Lyr2). So the only solution I can think of is another (hopefully passive) preamp  MJ2 < -- preamp -- > Speakers.
And I want this preamp to be remote controlled. The one I am using is not ideal... and the Saga has this pesky tube which is more of a burden to me. So open for ideas about remote controlled passive preamps.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,548 of 6,963
============= I wanted to ask MJ2 owners that also use it as a preamp a question as I'm considering a purchase - how annoying is the fact that preamp outputs won't be muted when you plug-in headphones?
I know that if I want to I can get another preamp like the Saga and turn it off when I want to listen to headphones, but what are you guys using for this situation?

I'm currently using http://www.keene.co.uk/keene-volume-remote-control-worldwide-psu.html with my Lyr 2 as a preamp, but the Keene doesn't mute properly and also can't be turned off and on using the remote, and also produces crackle if my Lyr 2 is above 80% on the volume pot, so I've been wondering if any of you MJ2 users have this figured out.

The Saga does seem tempting but this introduces an additional tube I'd have to replace (and I'm already way way way invested into 6DJ8/6922/7308/7DJ8 family tubes) even if I want to just use passive mode it seems that the tube will be needed and will be dying slowly.

It annoys me a lot. But more annoying is when the muting relays close, they send a surge to my monitors causing a pop. This caused the fuse to blow which cost me $70 because the fuse is not user serviceable and not wanting to jeopardize my warranty, I shipped it back to Schiit to the tune of $70.

To get around both issues, I have a Emotiva Control Freak between the MJ2 and my monitors that basically acts as a mute switch with a really long throw. If the MJ2 is turned off, I turn the volume on the MJ2 and the Control freak all the way down. For headphones, just turn the Control Freak volume all the way down.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #1,549 of 6,963
  It annoys me a lot. But more annoying is when the muting relays close, they send a surge to my monitors causing a pop. This caused the fuse to blow which cost me $70 because the fuse is not user serviceable and not wanting to jeopardize my warranty, I shipped it back to Schiit to the tune of $70.

To get around both issues, I have a Emotiva Control Freak between the MJ2 and my monitors that basically acts as a mute switch with a really long throw. If the MJ2 is turned off, I turn the volume on the MJ2 and the Control freak all the way down. For headphones, just turn the Control Freak volume all the way down.

Oh yeah I have the same problem with the Lyr 2. The keene volume remote control fixed that problem for me but it has other ****ty downsides. Are you able to max out the MJ2 on volume (at low gain) and then control the volume only using Control freak without any side effects? The Keene VRC adds cracking and popping in the sound if my Lyr 2 is over > 80%.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,550 of 6,963

HD800 are 300ohm headphones and MJ2 will output ~215 mW into 300ohm single ended and 850 mW balanced.
At 211 mW HD800 driven by an MJ2 SE should be as loud as around 120 dB.
However if you like it really loud and you want 125 dB let's say you will need 667.07 mW!

And the above calculation may vary between tubes and LISST as they can have different internal voltage gain.
So yeah what you say is about right high gain + maxed out you will get 120dB with stock tubes generally.
Switch your HD800 cable to balanced. Just to compare the Lyr2 can dish out 660mW SE into 300ohm.
=============
I wanted to ask MJ2 owners that also use it as a preamp a question as I'm considering a purchase - how annoying is the fact that preamp outputs won't be muted when you plug-in headphones?
I know that if I want to I can get another preamp like the Saga and turn it off when I want to listen to headphones, but what are you guys using for this situation?

I'm currently using http://www.keene.co.uk/keene-volume-remote-control-worldwide-psu.html with my Lyr 2 as a preamp, but the Keene doesn't mute properly and also can't be turned off and on using the remote, and also produces crackle if my Lyr 2 is above 80% on the volume pot, so I've been wondering if any of you MJ2 users have this figured out.

The Saga does seem tempting but this introduces an additional tube I'd have to replace (and I'm already way way way invested into 6DJ8/6922/7308/7DJ8 family tubes) even if I want to just use passive mode it seems that the tube will be needed and will be dying slowly.

So the Mjolnir 2 cannot drive the HD 800/HD650 to high volumes?

If this is the case, then I'm very disappointed in the Mjolnir 2 then.... I paid $900 for an amp that can barely drive the HD 650 to moderate volume and in addition, it sounds very thin as well. It's a similar experience to when I tried driving the hd 800 with my Chord Mojo.. Just not enough juice.

I guess i'm surprised that the crack speedball is way more powerful than the mjolnir 2. I only need to turn 50%-75% on the knob before my ears starts hurting.

Any other owners want to chime in?

I already had a chat with Schiit and have confirmed that I will return my Mjolnir 2. They stated they will charge me a bunch of fees if they tested it and it's not broken.

to me if it can't even drive the HD 650/HD800 properly, it seems pretty defective to me... I mean, even the Magni 2 did a way better job than the Mjolnir 2.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,551 of 6,963

If this is the case, then I'm very disappointed in the Mjolnir 2 then.... I paid $900 for an amp that can barely drive the HD 650 to moderate volume and in addition, it sounds very thin as well. It's a similar experience to when I tried driving the hd 800 with my Chord Mojo.. Just not enough juice.

I guess i'm surprised that the crack speedball is way more powerful than the mjolnir 2. I only need to turn 50%-75% on the knob before my ears starts hurting.

I already had a chat with Schiit and have confirmed that I will return my Mjolnir 2. They stated they will charge me a bunch of fees if they tested it and it's not broken.

to me if it can't even drive the HD 650/HD800 properly, it seems pretty defective to me... I mean, even the Magni 2 did a way better job than the Mjolnir 2.

Well 120db should be loud enough, but if you want more than that using single ended connection you need another amp. The MJ2 is a true balanced amp and that's where its true power lies. It sums the balanced outputs to deliver only a quarter of its power as single ended.

Edit: The magni 2 would give you a maximum of 260mW per channel
 at 300 ohms so slightly more than the MJ2 Single ended

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,552 of 6,963
120db is brushing on the pain threshold and is louder than a pneumatic drill... If you want it louder than that I think the problem is your ears not the amp!

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,553 of 6,963
  Well 120db should be loud enough, but if you want more than that using single ended connection you need another amp. The MJ2 is a true balanced amp and that's where its true power lies. It sums the balanced outputs to deliver only a quarter of its power as single ended.

Edit: The magni 2 would give you a maximum of 260mW per channel
 at 300 ohms so slightly more than the MJ2 Single ended

120db is brushing on the pain threshold and is louder than a pneumatic drill... If you want it louder than that I think the problem is your ears not the amp!

That's why I think my amp is defective... It's not even CLOSE to the pain threshold

I think even my HTC 10 can drive my HD 650 to a louder volume than the Mjolnir 2.

If I remember correctly, with the Magni 2, I only needed to turn the knob up to 50% before my ears started hurting.

With the Mjolnir 2? Max volume on desktop, Knob turned all the way. On high-gain. Tried stock,schiit LISST tubes,sylvania tubes. Nothing works.

Before buying this, I read how much power this amp outputs and how people barely had to turn the knob with the HD 800 to get a good amount of volume. Why is it different for me?

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #1,554 of 6,963

I'm not really sure where you are getting your numbers in relation to the MJ2 and Lyr 2 but from Schiit's web site, the MJ2 clearly has more power than the Lyr 2. I've never felt the MJ2 is underpowered, or "thin". Sorry you are not satisfied with it, maybe try a Cavali Liquid Glass.

MJ2 specs
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel

Lyr 2 specs
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 4.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 660mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 330mW RMS per channel

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,555 of 6,963

Oh yeah I have the same problem with the Lyr 2. The keene volume remote control fixed that problem for me but it has other ****ty downsides. Are you able to max out the MJ2 on volume (at low gain) and then control the volume only using Control freak without any side effects? The Keene VRC adds cracking and popping in the sound if my Lyr 2 is over > 80%.

I've not tried this, also don't plan to. Sorry. You know, $70 fuse and all.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,556 of 6,963

I'm not really sure where you are getting your numbers in relation to the MJ2 and Lyr 2 but from Schiit's web site, the MJ2 clearly has more power than the Lyr 2. I've never felt the MJ2 is underpowered, or "thin". Sorry you are not satisfied with it, maybe try a Cavali Liquid Glass.

MJ2 specs

Lyr 2 specs

The MJ2 max power is given when using balanced output. If using single-ended, however, you divide by 4.

From Schiit's FAQ on the MJ2:

Do the single-ended outputs put out as much power as the balanced outputs?
No. They’re limited to about 2W into 32 ohms. Which is still plenty for most headphones.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,557 of 6,963
  The MJ2 max power is given when using balanced output. If using single-ended, however, you divide by 4.

From Schiit's FAQ on the MJ2:

If you have no plans for using this balanced, I would say the Lyr 2 would be a better match for you. Balanced however, this thing really sings. You could ask Schiit to exchange for the Lyr 2. Or even get/make a set of balanced cables for your cans. Some Mogami mic cable, pair of Sennheiser ends and a 4 pin XLR and you are in business. I frequent the DIY cable thread, there is good advice to be had there.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,558 of 6,963

MJ2 specs

Lyr 2 specs

Um..... I never said anything about the Lyr 2.

I can't even listen to the Mjolnir 2 properly if I can't even get it to a sufficient volume.

How are you so sure that my Mjolnir 2 is not just defective?

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,559 of 6,963

If you have no plans for using this balanced, I would say the Lyr 2 would be a better match for you. Balanced however, this thing really sings. You could ask Schiit to exchange for the Lyr 2. Or even get/make a set of balanced cables for your cans. Some Mogami mic cable, pair of Sennheiser ends and a 4 pin XLR and you are in business. I frequent the DIY cable thread, there is good advice to be had there.

Yeah when I do but it - I plan to use it balanced but the previous poster TsKen is using it single-ended. So I was saying that the power is going to be much lower.

Which brings me to another one of my question - any of you using the single-ended preamp outputs with powered monitors - do they sound good?

I can't even listen to the Mjolnir 2 properly if I can't even get it to a sufficient volume.

It can definitely be defective, but you will be better off using balanced cables from the MJ2 to your headphones as then the power will be 4 times more.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,560 of 6,963

Sorry, I thought you compared it to the Lyr 2. My bad.

I'm not convinced your MJ2 is not defective. Hopefully it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back