Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,591 of 6,960
Under 1k, Mjolnir 2 destroys its competition. You'd have to look at used vintage speaker stuff to find something of comparable value, but that's apples and oranges. Yeah, WA5LE and Stratus and Liquid Crimson have higher degrees of transparency, but you pay through the nose for it.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #1,592 of 6,960
  Under 1k, Mjolnir 2 destroys its competition. You'd have to look at used vintage speaker stuff to find something of comparable value, but that's apples and oranges. Yeah, WA5LE and Stratus and Liquid Crimson have higher degrees of transparency, but you pay through the nose for it.

How would you compare to  Lyr 2 for Audeze LCD 2 I have a Lyr 2 right now &  Audeze Deckard which is a pure Class A 4 watts  SS I would like a 2nd amp with tube's I like the Lyr2.   but would I benefit with a Mjr 2  for the future with tube rolling ? any advise would be appreciated yep I have already spent over $ 200 on tubes so far !

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #1,593 of 6,960

I love mine.  

My cat loves mine, too.

Lol. Mind does a good job of keeping my espresso cups warm and ready 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,594 of 6,960
Jan 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,596 of 6,960

Not with espresso in them, I wouldn't trust myself! Just to have the cups pre-warmed before I make it helps.

Spilled espresso AND a fried Mjolnir 2, now that would be doubly tragic.

Ahh, that makes much more sense! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,597 of 6,960
  How would you compare to  Lyr 2 for Audeze LCD 2 I have a Lyr 2 right now &  Audeze Deckard which is a pure Class A 4 watts  SS I would like a 2nd amp with tube's I like the Lyr2.   but would I benefit with a Mjr 2  for the future with tube rolling ? any advise would be appreciated yep I have already spent over $ 200 on tubes so far !

Although I've auditioned both the LCD 2 and the Lyr 2, I do not own them, so take what I say with that grain of salt. I have not heard the Deckard.

Mjolnir's big benefit over Lyr is balanced operation. If you like balanced, or think you will like balanced, buy it with confidence. If you don't anticipate going forward with that, Lyr's single ended is more powerful than Mjolnir's single-ended, though I can't say for certain whether it's better on all counts. Mjolnir 2 has a noticeably more neutral, linear sound through balanced. I noted a degree of smear in Lyr by comparison. If you like tubes, MJ2 will do excellent things with them, but to realize its full potential, again, you do need balanced operation.

I would recommend the iFi tubes for Audeze—they're perhaps the best overall fit for the amp. My '68 orange globes would probably just suffocate you in the warm sound (though they work great with HD800 or K1000).

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,598 of 6,960

Although I've auditioned both the LCD 2 and the Lyr 2, I do not own them, so take what I say with that grain of salt. I have not heard the Deckard.

Mjolnir's big benefit over Lyr is balanced operation. If you like balanced, or think you will like balanced, buy it with confidence. If you don't anticipate going forward with that, Lyr's single ended is more powerful than Mjolnir's single-ended, though I can't say for certain whether it's better on all counts. Mjolnir 2 has a noticeably more neutral, linear sound through balanced. I noted a degree of smear in Lyr by comparison. If you like tubes, MJ2 will do excellent things with them, but to realize its full potential, again, you do need balanced operation.

I would recommend the iFi tubes for Audeze—they're perhaps the best overall fit for the amp. My '68 orange globes would probably just suffocate you in the warm sound (though they work great with HD800 or K1000).

Thank you ! will  send back the Lyr 2 and get the MJR  2 , being getting a very positive feed back  except like you said "Lyr 2 single ended is more powerful than the Mjr2 will look into ifi tubes
Happy New Year ! 

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,600 of 6,960

The 5670/2C51/396A family is a wonderful, inexpensive, alternative, as long as you USE 6DJ8 to 5670 TRANSLATOR SOCKETS.  There is a vendor selling very good sounding 5670s for $3.98 each!!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 10, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #1,601 of 6,960

The 5670/2C51/396A family is a wonderful, inexpensive, alternative, as long as you USE 6DJ8 to 5670 TRANSLATOR SOCKETS.  There is a vendor selling very good sounding 5670s for $3.98 each!!

Hi Baldr, have a question for you enjoyed seeing your Video's on Dar_ko gives me prospective on the company ! Are you by any chance upgrading the Mjr 2 in the next few months I Iam thinking this due to the comment I read on Dar_Ko review,  stating that due to the introduction of Jot you may be competing with your own product Mjr if I understand it correctly ?
thanks !

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #1,602 of 6,960
  Hi Baldr, have a question for you enjoyed seeing your Video's on Dar_ko gives me prospective on the company ! Are you by any chance upgrading the Mjr 2 in the next few months I Iam thinking this due to the comment I read on Dar_Ko review,  stating that due to the introduction of Jot you may be competing with your own product Mjr if I understand it correctly ?
thanks !

which vendor can you kindly post a link ?

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,603 of 6,960
thanks !

lol Mike is definitely not going to answer that question.

But thanks for the tube rec Mike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back