Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,696 of 2,252
Quote:
What do you have feeding the magni? When I have Modi feeding Magni, I don't hear any noise until the volume is dangerously high, and I'm using Hd 280s that I've found to be fairly sensitive.

The whole reason I bought the M+M stack was because there was that my laptop sound card's headphone out was very annoyingly noisy, and the M+M stack is (to my ears) dead silent within safe volume ranges.

Now if I feed the Magni from the noisy output of my soundcard, the Magni does exactly what it should, and it sends the soundcard noise through to my headphones...

Now, if I turn software volume all the way down, and crank Magni to max, right as the knob reaches maximum volume, there is a noticeable amount of white noise and I can hear a local radio station if I hold my headphone cable just right. I'd be interested in a technical explanation as to how a maxxed out Magni can magically turn into a (poor quality) FM demodulator.

I have the modi feeding the magni and I'm using MrSpeakers Mad Dogs. It does not matter what my software (Win7) volume is set at, I start hearing white noise right after it passes 12 on the knob. For music, this usually isn't a problem as I almost never get near 12, but for videos and movies I routinely have to turn it past 12 and the noise gets annoying. Should I contact schiit?

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,697 of 2,252
I have the modi feeding the magni and I'm using MrSpeakers Mad Dogs. It does not matter what my software (Win7) volume is set at, I start hearing white noise right after it passes 12 on the knob. For music, this usually isn't a problem as I almost never get near 12, but for videos and movies I routinely have to turn it past 12 and the noise gets annoying. Should I contact schiit?

Yes, i think you should definitely contact schiit. The t50rp derived 'phones are much less sensitive than say the hd280s. If you are only around 12 then you have unusually high noise in your system

Cheers

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,698 of 2,252
I'd try a different outlet and USB cable first. After that I would contact schiit.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,699 of 2,252
Schiit's had some issues with the wall wart power supplies.  Might be an easy exchange of wall warts.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,700 of 2,252
Schiit's had some issues with the wall wart power supplies.  Might be an easy exchange of wall warts.

That's also correct, good call. Definitely something worth exploring.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,701 of 2,252
I'm using my D2000s with my M&M stack out of my laptop and I also get the local country station when pot is maxxed out no matter what the volume is on my windows settings. I don't think its much of an issue since i can barely get past 10 on the pot when my volume is maxxed out everywhere else in my system.

Has anyone had problems with the sound stuttering? I keep getting stuttering no matter which usb port of my laptop I use with Modi. This doesn't happen when I drive my headphones straight out of the audio jack =(

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,703 of 2,252
I'm using my D2000s with my M&M stack out of my laptop and I also get the local country station when pot is maxxed out no matter what the volume is on my windows settings. I don't think its much of an issue since i can barely get past 10 on the pot when my volume is maxxed out everywhere else in my system.

Has anyone had problems with the sound stuttering? I keep getting stuttering no matter which usb port of my laptop I use with Modi. This doesn't happen when I drive my headphones straight out of the audio jack =(

Never had any stuttering problems when I had mine.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,704 of 2,252
Stuttering isn't a DAC problem.  It's a computer problem.  The computer can't handle the multitasking in its current configuration.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,706 of 2,252
It ended up being a bad driver and dcp latency problems.
I wonder why it only affected sound when using modi though.
Everything else was working great.

Which driver was it for you?

Did the latency go away when you updated it?

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,707 of 2,252
Getting pretty interested in upgrading to the Magni amp, would be coming from a Fiio E10. Has anyone here used a Fiio E10 as a DAC for the Magni? and If so would I use the coaxial or line out to connect to the Magni?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back