Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jul 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,728 of 2,252
Don't mean to be "that" guy but if the Schiit FAQ of the Magni says IEMs are no problem, but owners are saying no way, should I not second guess all of their claims then? I truly want to like these but marketing can do wonders for a sub-par product...look at Head-fi's bane, Beats. If it's a trade off to be able to run orthos and planar headphones fine, but I would prefer to know that, not get the product and be disappointed about its compatibility with my headphones (which Schiit says is all headphones.) So if someone could shed some digital light on this I would be very appreciative.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,729 of 2,252
Quote:
Don't mean to be "that" guy but if the Schiit FAQ of the Magni says IEMs are no problem, but owners are saying no way, should I not second guess all of their claims then? I truly want to like these but marketing can do wonders for a sub-par product...look at Head-fi's bane, Beats. If it's a trade off to be able to run orthos and planar headphones fine, but I would prefer to know that, not get the product and be disappointed about its compatibility with my headphones (which Schiit says is all headphones.) So if someone could shed some digital light on this I would be very appreciative.

I think we're very clear--and not over-selling Magni's capabilities with IEMs. Direct from the FAQ:

And IEMs too?
Yes. Magni’s noise floor is low enough for most of them, though Magni’s gain of 5 (necessary for orthos and high-impedance headphones) might mean you have to use software volume control to get a good range of adjustment on the volume pot.

Note this does not say *all* IEMs. Note that it does have the proper caveat for gain. 

We use Magni with Grado GR10 (116dB) and have no problem with hiss--whereas the GR10s plugged into, say, a Macbook headphone output hiss like crazy.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,730 of 2,252
Who better to comment, eh? Alright so Multi driver BA IEMs might not be the best pair with the little Magni, but the fact it's also able to drive orthos is an understandable tradeoff especially at that price. I'm sure multiple head-fiers have chipped in their idea of an alternately tuned Magni for IEMs as the market for in ears has jumped in the past couple of months. Or just a Magni with a gain switch for a little more cash, perhaps a similarly priced tube amp coming up? Back on topic, is the Magni's strong point pushing hard to drive headphones well, or making lower impedance cans sound great? And another thing, if the Magni looked the same and all it did was shoot confetti into the air for me to pick up later, I would still pay the same price.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,732 of 2,252
My Magni works fine with most IEMs though the majority of them don't really benefit from that amplification. I have however noticed the channel imbalance when listening to IEMs so it's by no means perfect.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #1,733 of 2,252
I know someone tried their Heir Audio 4.As with my M&M setup at the Charlotte meet. I believe we turned the volume down in Windows to about 10% to get a reasonable range on the Magni's volume control. He didn't say anything about hiss, so yeah, presumably the noise floor is low enough if you don't mind digitally attenuating.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,734 of 2,252
Quote:
I know someone tried their Heir Audio 4.As with my M&M setup at the Charlotte meet. I believe we turned the volume down in Windows to about 10% to get a reasonable range on the Magni's volume control. He didn't say anything about hiss, so yeah, presumably the noise floor is low enough if you don't mind digitally attenuating.

Windows volume control at 10% is -35dB. As discussed in this [thread], you are in fine shape at that attenuation level with a Modi+Magni combo and using Modi's 24bit output.

That said, I think everybody in that thread agrees that the Magni---with 5x gain---is not the optimal choice for IEMs. I think the [Schiit product description] makes it very clear that IEMs lie at one extreme of Magni's operational envelope:
Quote:
"Magni is quiet enough for many IEMs, but provides up to 1.2W into 32 ohms, which is plenty for many orthodynamic headphones. Magni is versatile enough to be a “do all” amplifier—it may be the only amp you ever need."

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,735 of 2,252
I got the magni too and when i move the volume knob there is some weird sound going on.. and when i move the quarter inch jack i have some glitch in the headphones (bad solder joint) i guess.

after 12 oclock it start to become noisy...

this is with mr speakers mad dogs headphones and gungnir dac

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,736 of 2,252
Quote:
I got the magni too and when i move the volume knob there is some weird sound going on.. and when i move the quarter inch jack i have some glitch in the headphones (bad solder joint) i guess.

KINDA TIRED OF BROKEN or low quality CRAP

QUALITY CONTROL PLEASE

There is a 2 year warrenty.....

Cheers

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,737 of 2,252
Quote:

QUALITY CONTROL PLEASE

Get it fixed. Don't just complain about it.
And in your case you might have been unlucky, but low-quality crap? No.....

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #1,739 of 2,252
Quote:

QUALITY CONTROL PLEASE

Yeah "low quality crap"......Not so much! Sorry if you have a problem with your gear, but talk to Schiit they will stand behind their gear like very few companies you are likely to deal with. No need slamming them until you have exhausted the normal means of getting things corrected. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back