Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,681 of 2,252
Quote:
I was playing 24bit vinyl rips off my laptop and I was noticing a lot of background hissing and other noises even at high volumes, also the soundstage seemed to be a lot more confined (on dt770s). Things seem to be smoothing out now however, maybe I'm crazy but there isn't anymore background noise. I have also noticed the lower bass seems to be pretty tight and under control now. I had a few tracks where the really deep bass would make some parts of the drivers or maybe that film over them (don't know the term for it haha.) rattle to a point where I wouldn't listen to those songs anymore. Now that is no longer a problem at all.

I would try my phone but I don't have anything at the moment to hook it up with that dac.

Who knows, give it a week and see if it smooths out even more! Hopefully you end up liking it just as much as I do.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #1,682 of 2,252
Quote:
Hey I'm currently using the fiio e10 with the akg k240 mkII and just ordered the magni/modi. Does anyone think I'll hear an improvement?

You have a fiio e10? The Magni goes to 11

I have M+M and akg k240s and they play very nicely together. I have no experience with the e10, so I won't comment on whether or not you will hear a difference.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #1,684 of 2,252
Sometimes you just need that extra push over the cliff...
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,687 of 2,252
Quote:
Really can you be a little bit more descriptive of why the magni/modi is so much better than the fiio e10?

The Magni puts out much more power than the E10 and the Modi being a separate DAC also reduces the noise. The circuitry built around the DAC in the Modi is also much better engineered (in my opinion). The Magni puts out 1200mw per channel @ 32 Ohms, while the E10 only puts out 100mw per channel @ 32 Ohms. See the massive difference there?

Trust me, you'll hear a noticeable difference. The soundstage should be wider and more transparent than what the E10 can provide. Also keep in mind that the Magni is capable of driving some Ortho/Planar headphones, which the E10 cannot.

Plus, the M/M stack is just.....beautiful. And Jason @ Schiit mentioned that Magni is remarkably close in performance to their $250 Asgard, which is what prompted the release of the Asgard 2. The Magni/Modi is an amazing combo which is easily worth twice what their asking. (Also, in my opinion)

All in all I'm not knocking the quality of FiiO products at all, because I still own them and love them as portable amplifiers. But when it comes to a desktop setup, I'll stick with some Schiit until the day I die!

--- Straight from Schiit.com ----

"All other amps in this price range use op-amps for gain. Not Magni. It uses a discrete gain stage design, with low-noise JFET inputs, fast VAS transistors, and massive output power transistors. The result is greater current capability for higher power output. We’ve also used a DC servo to eliminate coupling caps from the signal path."

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW
THD: Less than 0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
IMD: Less than 0.007%, CCIF
SNR: Greater than 100db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: Less than 0.1 ohms
Gain: 5 (14db)
Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, Class AB, DC coupled throughout
Protection: standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay
Power Supply: “wall wart” style 16VAC transformer, regulated +/- 15V rails
Power Consumption: 4W
Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”
Weight: 1 lb

Hope this helps, Saleri :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,688 of 2,252
H
The Magni puts out much more power than the E10 and the Modi being a separate DAC also reduces the noise. The circuitry built around the DAC in the Modi is also much better engineered (in my opinion). The Magni puts out 1200mw per channel @ 32 Ohms, while the E10 only puts out 100mw per channel @ 32 Ohms. See the massive difference there?

Trust me, you'll hear a noticeable difference. The soundstage should be wider and more transparent than what the E10 can provide. Also keep in mind that the Magni is capable of driving some Ortho/Planar headphones, which the E10 cannot.

Plus, the M/M stack is just.....beautiful. And Jason @ Schiit mentioned that Magni is remarkably close in performance to their $250 Asgard, which is what prompted the release of the Asgard 2. The Magni/Modi is an amazing combo which is easily worth twice what their asking. (Also, in my opinion)

All in all I'm not knocking the quality of FiiO products at all, because I still own them and love them as portable amplifiers. But when it comes to a desktop setup, I'll stick with some Schiit until the day I die!

--- Straight from Schiit.com ----

"All other amps in this price range use op-amps for gain. Not Magni. It uses a discrete gain stage design, with low-noise JFET inputs, fast VAS transistors, and massive output power transistors. The result is greater current capability for higher power output. We’ve also used a DC servo to eliminate coupling caps from the signal path."

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW

THD: Less than 0.005%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS

IMD: Less than 0.007%, CCIF

SNR: Greater than 100db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS

Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: Less than 0.1 ohms

Gain: 5 (14db)

Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, Class AB, DC coupled throughout

Protection: standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

Power Supply: “wall wart” style 16VAC transformer, regulated +/- 15V rails

Power Consumption: 4W

Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”

Weight: 1 lb

Hope this helps, Saleri :)
hey thanks for the help!!!

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,692 of 2,252
I'm just wondering, at what point do you guys notice noise on the magni? Anything over 12 for me and I notice white noise type sound, and I swear I don't remember my magni getting that noise until I was closer to 3.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,693 of 2,252
I wouldn't pay more than $75 for a used one.  The extra $25 isn't too much for me to pay for the full warranty.  I only buy used amps when the deal is too good to pass up or it's a rare amp that's hard to find.

Quote:
How much do you guys think Magni will go for used?

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,694 of 2,252
Quote:
I'm just wondering, at what point do you guys notice noise on the magni? Anything over 12 for me and I notice white noise type sound, and I swear I don't remember my magni getting that noise until I was closer to 3.

What do you have feeding the magni? When I have Modi feeding Magni, I don't hear any noise until the volume is dangerously high, and I'm using Hd 280s that I've found to be fairly sensitive.

The whole reason I bought the M+M stack was because there was that my laptop sound card's headphone out was very annoyingly noisy, and the M+M stack is (to my ears) dead silent within safe volume ranges.

Now if I feed the Magni from the noisy output of my soundcard, the Magni does exactly what it should, and it sends the soundcard noise through to my headphones...

Now, if I turn software volume all the way down, and crank Magni to max, right as the knob reaches maximum volume, there is a noticeable amount of white noise and I can hear a local radio station if I hold my headphone cable just right. I'd be interested in a technical explanation as to how a maxxed out Magni can magically turn into a (poor quality) FM demodulator.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,695 of 2,252
What do you have feeding the magni? When I have Modi feeding Magni, I don't hear any noise until the volume is dangerously high, and I'm using Hd 280s that I've found to be fairly sensitive.

The whole reason I bought the M+M stack was because there was that my laptop sound card's headphone out was very annoyingly noisy, and the M+M stack is (to my ears) dead silent within safe volume ranges.

Now if I feed the Magni from the noisy output of my soundcard, the Magni does exactly what it should, and it sends the soundcard noise through to my headphones...

Now, if I turn software volume all the way down, and crank Magni to max, right as the knob reaches maximum volume, there is a noticeable amount of white noise and I can hear a local radio station if I hold my headphone cable just right. I'd be interested in a technical explanation as to how a maxxed out Magni can magically turn into a (poor quality) FM demodulator.

I expect you know this but you should always have the software and OS volume at their highest as this lowers the amp's noise floor.

I'm afraid I don't know what causes the RFI and when I last asked about the noise I'd experienced none else had come across the problem. Out of curiosity what headphones are you using with it and how long is the lead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back