Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jun 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,652 of 2,252
Quote:

Thanks. I actually went ahead and sent a query to Schiit too, so I'll pop the response in here if anyone is interested.

Just as a habit (probably like yours) I turn off everything that I don't use. With computers I generally just put them to sleep. It's just like anything else, the more you use it the more wear and tear there is, although solid-state electronics are pretty reliable for long periods of time. Even if it was sitting idle for a week I'm sure it'd be fine. File servers are on for years at a time and typically generate a lot more heat than the Magni produces.

You'll be fine, but it's just my thing. I don't leave my car running when I'm not using it, the same goes for the stove lol.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,653 of 2,252
Quote:
Just as a habit (probably like yours) I turn off everything that I don't use. With computers I generally just put them to sleep. It's just like anything else, the more you use it the more wear and tear there is, although solid-state electronics are pretty reliable for long periods of time. Even if it was sitting idle for a week I'm sure it'd be fine. File servers are on for years at a time and typically generate a lot more heat than the Magni produces.

You'll be fine, but it's just my thing. I don't leave my car running when I'm not using it, the same goes for the stove lol.

Yeah that makes sense. I just thought that the switch may potentially be a bit delicate and I've had some bad experience with routers dying on my due to heat-damage (I presume). Anyhow, Schiit has assured me that even leaving it on continuously wouldn't impact the unit's condition too considerably (i.e. it'd still exceed it's warranty period) but it may as well be turned off when not in use (to conserve power, if nothing else). Switch wear is also apparently not a concern either.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #1,654 of 2,252
I had the same concerns for the switch, so I have mine at the office plugged into a power strip that I turn off at the end of my day. This helps me avoid using the switch on the Magni.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,655 of 2,252
Quote:
I had the same concerns for the switch, so I have mine at the office plugged into a power strip that I turn off at the end of my day. This helps me avoid using the switch on the Magni.

Yeah I was considering doing a similar thing. I've got a power-strip under my desk which I turn off each day but I switch between headphones and speakers a few times throughout the day and tend to turn each off when they're not in use. Anyway... Unless I start reading about Magni switches breaking, I'll rely upon Schiit's response and let go of my concerns.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,656 of 2,252
Modi & Magni + my TH-600s is a happy day at work. This setup is outrageously good for the price.

(I use a surge strip to turn the Magni on and off.)

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #1,658 of 2,252
It's funny how you say for the price, and the price is over $1200 already.

That's not bad at all, well worth it. And actually it was like $1100, because the TH-600s were $900, due to the great dollar>yen exchange rate.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,661 of 2,252
Some day Modi & Magni will be my at work set up, but for now they are my at home gear. I feel a bit funny about bringing gear to work to listen to music. Even though I do listen to music all day, but at least the Modi & Magni are relatively cheap if something should happen to them.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,662 of 2,252
Has anyone else had positive results with using Schiit M&M stack with Beyerdynamics DT880 (600 Ohm)?

I'm looking to get one but I've only seen a few people on head-fi and the internet try it, I saw one positive review while the rest didn't provide much insight to whether it was a good pairing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back