Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #136 of 2,252
The stutters you're getting are probably from the priority setting of your audio driver. I've had the same problem with my VAIO actually. It happens when the audio driver, or audio player, is kicked to the bottom of the heap as far as processor time, and causes stutters and drop outs. You can set your priority temporarily via the task manager, but to set it permanently, you will need to install an add-on called Prio, which adds a permanent priority option to processes in the task manager. http://www.askvg.com/how-to-permanently-set-process-priority-in-windows-task-manager. On some applications you can adjust the I/O priority as well, which may help.

switching from Aero probably helped because Aero is a memory hog. As for the external USB bus, it probably has some sort buffer in it that helps mitigate the problem

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #138 of 2,252
I don't use foobar or a wasapi player so I'm not sure what they are called, for me I just had to change the priority of my itunes processes. If that doesn't help you could look up the task manager name for the USB driver and try changing that.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #140 of 2,252
Quote:
Definitely going to get one of these, but until the 230v wall wart issue is resolved my hands are tied. Can anyone that receives their Magni please post the specs of the wall wart? Volts, amps, diameter/type of connection that would be fantastic.

I asked the same directly at Schiit but Jason cannot recommend any source other than the supplied power adapter -- would use a small step-down transformer instead...

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #141 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:

How the heck do you know if your USB port on you laptop / PC / Mac is good or bad?  Please explain.  It's my understanding as long as you don't have multiple USB devices ruining at the same time it should be less dirty regardless of what port it is.

The ODAC produces crackles stutters and frequent drop-outs when plugged straight into any USB port on my VAIO laptop. Even when it's the only device plugged in.
Strangely, this did not happen on my DacPortLX so I guess implementation matters the most.
More strangely, this only applies to foobar2000 in either DS or WASAPI mode.
Even more strangely, an $5 monoprice unpowered USB hub between my laptop and the ODAC magically resolve this issue. No matter how many devices are plugged into it.
The most strange part is that I'm completely serious here.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it may be a USB powering issue? I had similar problems on one USB port on my MacBook, but the other USB port works just fine. I know that the first port has a power issue because sometimes my external hard drive doesn't "turn on" when I plug it into that port and with an SD card adaptor the card randomly disconnects from the computer.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #143 of 2,252
                                                                                                                S C H I I T  

You did it to me again. Just ordered my new Magni........You guys are good...............

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #144 of 2,252
Quote:

C'mon man, no digital out??? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #145 of 2,252
On an analog amplifier ??

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #147 of 2,252
Even more strangely, an $5 monoprice unpowered USB hub between my laptop and the ODAC magically resolve this issue. No matter how many devices are plugged into it.
The most strange part is that I'm completely serious here.

Usb can be some crazy Shiit... Did you try a different port? Sometimes the drivers get honked up on a particular port...

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #148 of 2,252
Aha ! Mine has finally being given over to the Post Office.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #150 of 2,252
Very interested in folks reviews when they get their units - amp and dac price seems to be close to the AQ dragonfly territory but, if I'm reading it correctly, the shiit has 10x the output (132mv vs 1.2v @ 32ohm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back