Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #166 of 2,252
Quote:
Okay, first impressions with 2-3 hours burn-in.   I played things I am familiar with using my normal amp (Hybrid - tube for input stage, FET output stage):

1 - Handles the HE-400 very well - no evidence of any problem with any aspect of the HE-400, and I could turn up "Keep On Growing" to the point where I knew the volume was not good for my ears. :)  This is what the specs (and the FAQ) would indicate.   Should be plenty of power for the HE-400, and probably the HE-500 as well (although I do not own the latter).

2 - Very good bass response, not incredible, but good.   Bass notes were clearly defined.

3 - A little transistor glare.   This is where the burn-in may or may not have an effect.  It could go away later, or it could be just what you get with a $99 transistor amp.   This was more apparent on the SRH-1840 since it has more (as Mike would say) "technicalities".

At this point, I would say that it fits what you would expect - probably the best sound quality you can expect to get at $99, but don't trade in your $400 amp.

This is based on memory, I will want to plug back in the hybrid amp, and also compare to the cmoy, but that may take some more time.  (The cmoy works with the SRH-1840 but not with the HE-400, by the way.)

Unfortunately, I have not heard any of the Fiio or "O" amps, so you will have to wait for someone who owns those for a comparison with those similar price point amps.

what is a transistor glare?

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #167 of 2,252
Quote:
what is a transistor glare?

That sort of smearing of the treble and high harmonics that you get from lower cost transistor gear (or cheap tubes like current Chinese ones).

Okay, I have now compared it to the JDSlabs CmoyBB and there is no comparison.  The Cmoy sounds good by itself, but after hearing the same track on the Magni, it sounds somewhat colored and sometimes a little distorted when playing many instruments at once (what Mike calls "congested").  The Magni just sounds a lot "cleaner", more transparent and true to the source.

By inference, that makes the Magni at least comparable to the C421 - which I have not heard (although the Magni does not have the C421's portable features that add cost).

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #168 of 2,252
Okay, and now I have compared it to my tube-FET Class A hybrid amp.

Just as it is way less congested than the Cmoy, it is also somewhat more congested than the hybrid amp.   The clarity of the hybrid amp shows that the Magni has some smearing of difficult passages, and some instruments.  For example, a tambourine was clearer in the hybrid amp, because the Magni could not quite respond as smoothly to the sudden occurrence of many harmonics.

By the way, input source is Jriver MC18 -> HRT MS2Plus -> Onkyo A/V receiver acting only as a switcher (I have tried directly out of the MS2Plus and the difference is not significant).

Again, the Magni may not yet be "burnt-in" as it has only been playing for 3-4 hours.

First impression's conclusion - probably better than most amps in this price range, not as clean, clear or transparent as $300+ amps, very good value for use with HiFiMan phones.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #169 of 2,252
Quote:

Just as it is way less congested than the Cmoy, it is also somewhat more congested than the hybrid amp.   The clarity of the hybrid amp shows that the Magni has some smearing of difficult passages, and some instruments.  For example, a tambourine was clearer in the hybrid amp, because the Magni could not quite respond as smoothly to the sudden occurrence of many harmonics.

By the way, input source is Jriver MC18 -> HRT MS2Plus -> Onkyo A/V receiver acting only as a switcher (I have tried directly out of the MS2Plus and the difference is not significant).

Again, the Magni may not yet be "burnt-in" as it has only been playing for 3-4 hours.

First impression's conclusion - probably better than most amps in this price range, not as clean, clear or transparent as $300+ amps, very good value for use with HiFiMan phones.

Sounds like its just about on the same level as the O2.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #170 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like its just about on the same level as the O2.

It will be interesting to hear a comparison from someone who has the ODAC/O2 and who gets the Modi/Magni.
Given the history (especially on this site), it would not surprise me if they made a point of testing against those products.
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #172 of 2,252
It will be interesting to hear a comparison from someone who has the ODAC/O2 and who gets the Modi/Magni.
Given the history (especially on this site), it would not surprise me if they made a point of testing against those products. :wink:

While it won't be for about a month here, we're going to be comparing the new stack to the O2 at the Charlotte area meet on January 20th.

I'm sure we'll have reviews from other members before then, but if anyone in the area wants to hear both, come over to our thread and sign up.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #174 of 2,252
What kind of wall wart is given. Often an area to improve things. After all, an amp is a controlled way of connecting the PS to the transducer.:wink_face:  VG as is with an easy future mod would be a nice thing. I always prefer a regulated linear supply to a switching one or batteries.

The wallwart is just a transformer (AC / AC adapter, output ~16VAC), according to the product page. The rest of the power supply, presumably linear and quite regulated, is on the inside. As for the exact type of transformer... it's a transformer, though I guess knowing its make and specs could be of some minor interest. Maybe somebody with the amp can enlighten us?

In fact, just checking the picture on the product page of the PCB, the two ICs on the board next to the four capacitors look like the regulators. A closer inspection reveals that one is a 7815, indicating a +15V regulator. Indeed, their product page says they regulate to +/- 15V rails. So the other IC is probably a 7915 for the negative rail.

7815 and 7915 are classic linear regulators.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #177 of 2,252
Is it possible to use the he-400's with JUST the magni, into a computer? No DAC i mean, on a computer with an Asus Maximus V Formula (it uses supremefx iv as the onboard sound) How is it?

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #178 of 2,252
Quote:
Is it possible to use the he-400's with JUST the magni, into a computer? No DAC i mean, on a computer with an Asus Maximus V Formula (it uses supremefx iv as the onboard sound) How is it?

Yes.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #180 of 2,252
Quote:
how is it?

It'll be fine, it would be better with the Modi, but you can always add a Modi later. I haven't tried the Magni but all amps can connect to a computer without a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back