Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #151 of 2,252
No chance for European head-fiers to enjoy this new amp... :frowning2:
Just got answer from Jason at Shiit:

> Would you recommend your new Magni amp for Sennheiser HD 580-600-650 range of headphones?
Yep!

>
> Also, is it compatible with the European electrical sockets?
Nope!

Real shiit! :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #152 of 2,252
Quote:
No chance for European head-fiers to enjoy this new amp... :frowning2:
Just got answer from Jason at Shiit:

> Would you recommend your new Magni amp for Sennheiser HD 580-600-650 range of headphones?
Yep!

>
> Also, is it compatible with the European electrical sockets?
Nope!

Real shiit! :frowning2:

Just get a step down converter for like http://www.amazon.de/Spannungswandler-220V-110V-Watt-Converter/dp/B001EX2LOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355588780&sr=8-1 for 7,58 Euro 

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #154 of 2,252
Quote:

The ODAC produces crackles stutters and frequent drop-outs when plugged straight into any USB port on my VAIO laptop. Even when it's the only device plugged in.
Strangely, this did not happen on my DacPortLX so I guess implementation matters the most.
More strangely, this only applies to foobar2000 in either DS or WASAPI mode.
Even more strangely, an $5 monoprice unpowered USB hub between my laptop and the ODAC magically resolve this issue. No matter how many devices are plugged into it.
The most strange part is that I'm completely serious here.

I get crackle and pop into my O2 during regular computer use. I think processor or GPU intensive work may be getting noise into the chain. Lately, the noise has gone away. I suggest you jack up the buffer in Foobar to 1,000 ms or more and see what happens.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #155 of 2,252
Quote:
Very interested in folks reviews when they get their units - amp and dac price seems to be close to the AQ dragonfly territory but, if I'm reading it correctly, the shiit has 10x the output (132mv vs 1.2v @ 32ohm)

From The Modi FAQ:

How can you do this when other guys are trying to sell plastic USB key DACs for 2.5x the price?

Because we aren’t greedy, and our packaging is ugly.

biggrin.gif

These guys are good trolls.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #156 of 2,252
Quote:
Please do make a review on it. Did you only buy the Magni only or with the Modi as well?

I don't need a DAC (I have the HRT MusicStreamer 2Plus and if I was going to get a new DAC, HRT has a brand new one - the "HD" - that has just started shipping - but it is a little out of impulse-buy price range at US$450) and even if I wanted the Modi, it was listed as "still in production" when I ordered my Magni.

Anyway, it's currently at my local post office branch, it should be delivered today unless the Holiday Rush delays it somehow.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #157 of 2,252
Quote:
Will it match the Magni's 16VAC transformer? Sorry, I'm a total layman as concerns electricity.

It will work fine. You may want to get a converter that goes up to 200watts, but either one should be fine. I just got the O2 and will be using a similar product to convert the 14VAC that it needs when I move to Germany in January.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #158 of 2,252
It's here and running - carrier actually beat the web site "out for delivery" notification.

Seems to work fine with the HE400 so far.

Since people have reported burn-in changes for the Asgard, I'm wondering how long is "fair" before comparing it by other amps ?

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #159 of 2,252
How about just some initial impressions, without comparisons, when you get the chance? I know there are plenty of people out here who would like to hear them...

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #160 of 2,252
It's here and running - carrier actually beat the web site "out for delivery" notification.

Seems to work fine with the HE400 so far.

Since people have reported burn-in changes for the Asgard, I'm wondering how long is "fair" before comparing it by other amps ?
Just do initial impressions against other amps you may have.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #163 of 2,252
Quote:
Ah, lucky first people, my stack hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully Monday!

When I ordered the Magni, the Modi status was "in production", so your order may be awaiting stock of the Modi.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #164 of 2,252
Okay, first impressions with 2-3 hours burn-in.   I played things I am familiar with using my normal amp (Hybrid - tube for input stage, FET output stage):

1 - Handles the HE-400 very well - no evidence of any problem with any aspect of the HE-400, and I could turn up "Keep On Growing" to the point where I knew the volume was not good for my ears. :)  This is what the specs (and the FAQ) would indicate.   Should be plenty of power for the HE-400, and probably the HE-500 as well (although I do not own the latter).

2 - Very good bass response, not incredible, but good.   Bass notes were clearly defined.

3 - A little transistor glare.   This is where the burn-in may or may not have an effect.  It could go away later, or it could be just what you get with a $99 transistor amp.   This was more apparent on the SRH-1840 since it has more (as Mike would say) "technicalities".

At this point, I would say that it fits what you would expect - probably the best sound quality you can expect to get at $99, but don't trade in your $400 amp.

This is based on memory, I will want to plug back in the hybrid amp, and also compare to the cmoy, but that may take some more time.  (The cmoy works with the SRH-1840 but not with the HE-400, by the way.)

Unfortunately, I have not heard any of the Fiio or "O" amps, so you will have to wait for someone who owns those for a comparison with those similar price point amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back