Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #123 of 2,252
Well, I ordered my ODAC and O2 on Monday . . . if I knew this was coming I would have waited for reviews, but I'm not too disappointed. The sound is what matters and we just don't know yet on the modi magni combo. This, of course, is the progression of all things electronic; things get better and cheaper every year.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #124 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
You are one of those guys who lurks around here just to tell people they are wrong? 700mW of the O2 vs. the 1.2W of the schiit into 32 ohms is near double. How's that? You are right. I am wrong.
Don't really know or care how you came up with your 1.2db but I don't think it really matters as the O2 can power the Beyers and power wise so should the Schiit based on specs. I don't have one so I don't know and neither do the rest of us.

Regardless of who is right or wrong (who cares?), it's better to have the facts straight, especially when quoting numbers. Quoting numbers carries some responsibility to get things right (and for others to correct any mistakes), because often times people assume numbers to be factual, particularly when they don't come from some flaky product advertisement page.

First of all, Levener was asking about 600 ohms Beyerdynamics, so the only logical thing to do would be to compare power output into 600 ohms, right? That's 88 mW quoted vs. 130 mW. Whatever the amps are capable of into 32 ohms is irrelevant. For the record, into 33 ohms the measured result of the O2 was 613 mW @ 1% THD, so it's less than even the 700 mW you said. Not sure where you got that figure from, but it sure is about double at 32 ohms. At 600 ohms, not so much.

Also, I clearly typed 1.7 dB because 10 * log10 (130 / 88) = 1.7 dB, not 1.2 dB. If these figures are wrong, then it'd be good if I or somebody else could correct them. Reporting the wrong thing is not some kind of mortal sin. Let's move on.

What happens when it hits 88mW?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Byz7eU8jF0

I hope it comes with a flux capacitor!

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #125 of 2,252
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #126 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
As someone who has both the MS2 and the MS2Plus, I would say that a hub is only necessary if your PC does not have a good USB port.   Of course, that is certainly a possibility, and I have had PCs and laptops with sub-optimal USB ports.
Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether the PC power is "dirty" because the HRT Music Streamers have their own internal regulatted power supply, that only relies on the USB power as a raw source of power.

PS   Magni ordered and tracking number received, I'll post comments when I receive it.

Did you ever TRY a powered USB hub vs plugging the MS2 straight into your computer? What makes a "good" USB hub and how can you tell the difference between it and a bad one? Does it have a label on it that says good?

"Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether the PC power is "dirty" because the HRT Music Streamers have their own internal regulatted power supply, that only relies on the USB power as a raw source of power."

That is what HRT says in their blurb. In my experience this is not true. It matters in my system and I could never go back to not using externally powered USB.

I didn't say a "good USB hub", I said a "good USB port on your PC".   Since it matters in your system, it means your PC does not have a good USB port (I'm assuming you tried using ones on the back).   Not that unusual.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #127 of 2,252
Quote:
I didn't say a "good USB hub", I said a "good USB port on your PC".   Since it matters in your system, it means your PC does not have a good USB port (I'm assuming you tried using ones on the back).   Not that unusual.

Does it matter in your system? (assuming you actually tried this)

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #130 of 2,252
Quote:

How the heck do you know if your USB port on you laptop / PC / Mac is good or bad?  Please explain.  It's my understanding as long as you don't have multiple USB devices ruining at the same time it should be less dirty regardless of what port it is.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #131 of 2,252
Quote:

How the heck do you know if your USB port on you laptop / PC / Mac is good or bad?  Please explain.  It's my understanding as long as you don't have multiple USB devices ruining at the same time it should be less dirty regardless of what port it is.

If it makes your DAC sound like butt droppings
wink.gif

(which in this case, is actually the opposite of schiit.)

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #132 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
Had a look at the specs, shame theres no digital/toslink out for the DAC, interesting use of DC servo on the Magni to eliminate use of coupling caps in the signal paths for power section, it run's off a wall-wart but I'm having some idea's already with getting some near identical case's milled to match the Schiit have it house a regulated Sigma11 PSU for power feed to both amp/dac. Interesting.

The question is now, I've seen and used some 24 bit DAC's before and when running it out by USB it is limited to 16bit while a digital out will offer true 24bit, will this limitation appear on the Modi given that it's using a 24bit dac chip.

You do realize it's $99. So no, it's not a shame,it would drive up the costs. C'mon man.

Exactly. These are $99 components people. Look to the Bifrost, or the countless other dacs in the next price bracket for these additional features.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #134 of 2,252
Quote:

The ODAC produces crackles stutters and frequent drop-outs when plugged straight into any USB port on my VAIO laptop. Even when it's the only device plugged in.
Strangely, this did not happen on my DacPortLX so I guess implementation matters the most.
More strangely, this only applies to foobar2000 in either DS or WASAPI mode.
Even more strangely, an $5 monoprice unpowered USB hub between my laptop and the ODAC magically resolve this issue. No matter how many devices are plugged into it.
The most strange part is that I'm completely serious here.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #135 of 2,252
Quote:

The ODAC produces crackles stutters and frequent drop-outs when plugged straight into any USB port on my VAIO laptop. Even when it's the only device plugged in.
Strangely, this did not happen on my DacPortLX so I guess implementation matters the most.
More strangely, this only applies to foobar2000 in either DS or WASAPI mode.
Even more strangely, an $5 monoprice unpowered USB hub between my laptop and the ODAC magically resolve this issue. No matter how many devices are plugged into it.
The most strange part is that I'm completely serious here.

I have a Vaio laptop and an ODAC and get the exact stutters you do. But I managed to solve it. Try this, right click on the desktop and click personalize. Try any theme from there apart from an Aero theme. That solved it for me, no hub used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back