Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #91 of 2,252
Quote:
Twice as powerful as the O2... will be more than enough in terms of power.

I really want to get it cause I have the Beyers in the mail and no amp for them, I'm on a tight budget and the Magni looks perfect for my needs, I'm just scared the synergy won't be good, I'm dying to see impressions lol

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #94 of 2,252
Quote:
*reaches for wallet*
wife's voice in head "you're going to buy another toy? do i get a new purse now?"
*places hand slowly back on desk*

i'll wait for reviews. 

Haha. Married? You're wife probably has 5x the toys you have by now!

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #95 of 2,252
Well - This is an exciting couple of products coming out a few months late - I already picked up a black O2 and am loving it.

Until I see some published testing however, I am not going to hold my breath. It is twice as powerful, yes, but this is a minor headroom gain compared to the 1/2 watt or so I get from the O2. How is the distortion? How does the SNR hold out when its pushed? It's 15V rails beats the O2's 9-12V rails, but its not "portable". Also, I hate the metal power switch in the back! It unecassarily protrudes and I would hate to snap it off. I happen to like 3.5mm inputs, since they are common in the computing space and compact.

Also, the O2/ODAC is still a DIY if you want, so technically an O2+ODAC can be had at a similar price point. But if you are a mental weakling like me, you just pay $300 bucks and call it good.

The new Schiit is a cool looking thing that has the right specs and the right price. But the excitement for me is a little premature.

Given that I am starting to get the "itch" to pick up an ODAC, I would love to see a full test of the Amp and DAC from Schiit. If its the real deal for $200 bucks, I think they just cornered the market for affordable head-fi, based on what I have seen so far!

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #96 of 2,252
Quote:
*reaches for wallet*
wife's voice in head "you're going to buy another toy? do i get a new purse now?"
*places hand slowly back on desk*

i'll wait for reviews. 

You can have up to four wives where I live. What are you worried about? Only one wife? Shhh?

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #97 of 2,252
how do you think the Magni with the 600 ohm Beyers?

No idea...I didn't listen with any high impedance phones, and the only Beyers I've heard we're at meets.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #98 of 2,252
Cool thanks, looking to pair up the Asgard or Magni to the RS1i

It is definitely a more neutral signature. It's clean, fast & dynamic. You won't confuse it with a SE tube amp...if you want one of those, but a Little Dot MIII, but don't expect that to drive Orthos.
FWIW, I find it a very nice pairing with my Grados.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #101 of 2,252
Damn, this might be the first Schiit product to impress me, those of you who have ordered, please write your impressions and review on the amp/dac combo.

Yes please do. I have been looking for something to replace my essence stx. Considering the dac and amp would be 50 bucks more than what I could get for my sound card on ebay, I am seriously looking at picking this up. I am still a bit reserved though. I may end up getting the O2 dac and amp combo. So I need to see reviews before I pull the trigger.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #102 of 2,252
Had a look at the specs, shame theres no digital/toslink out for the DAC, interesting use of DC servo on the Magni to eliminate use of coupling caps in the signal paths for power section, it run's off a wall-wart but I'm having some idea's already with getting some near identical case's milled to match the Schiit have it house a regulated Sigma11 PSU for power feed to both amp/dac. Interesting.

The question is now, I've seen and used some 24 bit DAC's before and when running it out by USB it is limited to 16bit while a digital out will offer true 24bit, will this limitation appear on the Modi given that it's using a 24bit dac chip.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #103 of 2,252
Twice as powerful as the O2... will be more than enough in terms of power.

It's supposed to be 88 mW into 600 ohms (@ 1% THD, more like 78 mW for under 0.002% THD) vs. 130 mW into 600 ohms at unspecified distortion level. Maybe quoted at 1% THD standard, maybe not. 130 mW to 88 mW is not double, anyhow, and it's only some 1.7 dB different.

If somebody were to somehow consider the O2 not enough for the 600 ohms Beyerdynamics (I'd fear for your ears if that were the case), the Magni might not be enough too. Seriously, 1.7 dB is not a lot. Turn down your music player 1.7 dB and say with a straight face that it's going to be the deciding factor. It might, but that's pretty unlikely in my books.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #104 of 2,252
You are one of those guys who lurks around here just to tell people they are wrong? 700mW of the O2 vs. the 1.2W of the schiit into 32 ohms is near double. How's that? You are right. I am wrong.

Don't really know or care how you came up with your 1.2db but I don't think it really matters as the O2 can power the Beyers and power wise so should the Schiit based on specs. I don't have one so I don't know and neither do the rest of us.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #105 of 2,252
Today I compared the specs of the D1 DAC vs the Modi and they are near Identical, the have the same chip but the D1 benefits in that it can achieve 24/192 through optical...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back