Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,306 of 2,252
Quote:

Now that is a sweet little box! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

It's actually the attenuator itself. A 41 position attenuator from Acoustic Dimension (http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/).

Here's a rear shot. The bottom of the attenuator has PC mount pins. The ventilation holes on the top of the Magni lined up with them such that I was able place it flat on top:

se

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,310 of 2,252
I think it looks quite quirky, and if it works.

Nice job.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,311 of 2,252
just wondering, changing the pot wouldnt do the trick?

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,315 of 2,252
Quote:

What, you mean something like this?
tongue.gif

se

LOL! :D

Was looking at some internal pics of the Magni last night, I see the pot shaft isn't mounted onto a inner faceplate of the enclosure as it is soldered to the PCB and is cut around the volume pot and the pot inside. Can someone measure the height from the bottom base where the volume pot is to the top of the enclosure?

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #1,316 of 2,252
Quote:
Yeah I dunno if I'm gonna look dumb or not but I don't mind!

No, I didn't have the attenuator wired into the Magni when taking the photo. It was simply sitting on top of it. Just wanted to mess with DefQon.
biggrin.gif

But even though it started out just for fun, I've since decided why the hell not?

The stock pot is PC mount and it appears the pins are on 0.1 inch centers and if the pad holes are large enough, I'll just replace the pot with some 0.025 inch square pin headers. Wire the pot through the ventilation holes in the top and just connect it to the headers. Should be able to keep the leads pretty short.

se

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,317 of 2,252
Quote:
Was looking at some internal pics of the Magni last night, I see the pot shaft isn't mounted onto a inner faceplate of the enclosure as it is soldered to the PCB and is cut around the volume pot and the pot inside. Can someone measure the height from the bottom base where the volume pot is to the top of the enclosure?

You mean from the top surface of the circuit board to the top of the enclosure? If so, then it's 0.895 inches or 23mm.

se

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,318 of 2,252
Just got mine today... It drives my HD600s with ease.  I'm running MacBook Air > iBasso D7 > Magni > HD600.  Volume pot is at 11 o'clock and they're almost too loud for me. Bass is tight and quick...even listening to lossy files from Spotify.  Terrific bedside set up.  Actually, this would be a perfectly acceptable main rig, IMO.    

This just stomps the amplifier section of my D7.  I'm going for a Valhalla or Lyr next.

Hard to believe this was just $99.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,319 of 2,252
"bedside setup"... oh people, you're unbelievable...
I'll have to win 2 lotteries to keep up with you guys... lol...

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,320 of 2,252
Quote:

You mean from the top surface of the circuit board to the top of the enclosure? If so, then it's 0.895 inches or 23mm.

se

23mm from the pcb to the top of the enclosure? I see no chance of getting even the smallest available 21-23 stepped attenuator installed due to that size even if you removed the circuity board. Man this schiit is small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back