Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 8, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,966 of 23,494
So the Valvo CCa Holland was one of my questions. I'll be receiving it in a week or two, but since it's basically just a Holland Philips/Amperex tube, I'm expecting it to be equal to a Mini. It's used as well, so bleh. The yellow label CCa Valvo tubes are too expensive to get and rate. I'm watching a bunch...

I honestly found rockets engaging, but extremely unfocused. No idea which years I heard, I'm sure there are better batches.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #4,967 of 23,494
  For those new here and have not read the old thread - these flame attacks against the 6n23p's are not rare.  I have been through it before and much worse (they had to shut the old thread it got so bad).  Again these amazing tubes have had a constant upstream battle.  No dealer carries them because they are such a pain to find in good quality. 

It's been a one man battle from the start - now of course so many have got to own the best of these and experience their incredible sound quality.  And many have posted here about their great listening experience with these.  But they still face a tremendous bias against them - what I call the 'What no Gold Pins' phenomena.

I will not go into my history with these OP for the sake of this epic thread.

I want to apologize to anyone I may have offended or the nerves I have touched.  I am just a passion audio guy - sorry for showing to much of my enthusiasm at times.

As I have done in the past - I will just leave the thread for a good long while - to let folks settle down.  So for now any tube review will be on indefinite if not permanent hold.  It is just a tremendous amount of time and effort - and just not worth getting attacked over.

Enjoy your tube rolling experience - and don't let these petty squabbles turn you off to the great joys to had with this awesome amp firing a great set of tubes.

Happy Rolling.

Rob-

I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but I really don't hope you sign off, especially in response to someone in particular.  There are a lot of people who really value what you have to say.  You've happily shared your knowledge and a VERY important part of this thread.  I am right now enjoying some amazing tubes (74 Reflektors) I purchased from you.  My favorite tubes, but never would have heard of them otherwise.  Anyway, my own $0.02 is that I very much hope you stay active here!

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4,968 of 23,494
Let the haters , hate Bob. There's a lot of people here who appreciate and respect what you do on here. Don't let a select few ruin it for you, and the many others who admire the time and effort you put into this hobby. By far you and thurstonx have taught me the most about tubes. Although I haven't really interacted much with thurstonx, his posts have helped me tremendously. At the end of the day, regardless of who has what tubes , it's all about the passion we share for music on a different level than most. I truly hope that you reconsider. Don't let them dudes take away your passion man. They definitely ain't worth it. That's my 0.02
Cheers my friend.

+1

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #4,969 of 23,494

Well read your own review! Then read my tube list!  No mention of the E188CC MIniwatts on it.  I have Philip Valvo E188CC's and Miniwatt SQ E88CC's.

So to compare very rare $300/pr tubes to $150/pr (HGs) or $130/pr ('74s) is not a fair comparison. 

Here is a pair I bet you or OP have never heard - and they may be the best 6922 ever made.  Better by a mile then my HG's
  Or how about these - you or OP ever own these?

My point is it's all relative!  And just one man's opinion to what he's heard.  I am entitled to my opinion - no?

But these are your words in your review:

I have not even reviewed the tubes yet - but just trying to make a point - to someone who called Russian tubes 'crappy'.
mad.gif
  From my initial listening to these Valvo E188CC's the HG's and '74's are better.

Let cooler heads prevail LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
beyersmile.png

Steve - you know I love you man!
st
PS You know I respect your opinion and have mentioned and linked to your review here several times recently see:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/4830 post#4899
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/4890 post#4837

So please be fair as well.

First off, I never said Russian tubes are crappy. see my review.I was responding to the assertion, " I have Russian tubes that blow the Philips E188CCand E88CC away - far away." For me Miniwatts, Holland Valvo, are all Phillips E188CC's. And I like you RESPECTFULLY disagree about which one either of us like. As to your reference to the other "CCA" rare tubes, my Upscale Audio Tele E88CC, that are triode matched to 2-3%, super low noise, certainly meet "CCA" specs, just not labeled "CCA", I have said they are comparable, equal to the 74/75 Reflektors. We both know rarity/price doesn't always equate to better sound. That being said, I still assert my previous review rankings and certainly respect your opinion as well. I hope you get a chance to listen to some 1960, D-Getter, 7308 Amperex, US made. Truly a wonderful unique sounding tube.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,970 of 23,494
  It's been a one man battle from the start - now of course so many have got to own the best of these and experience their incredible sound quality.  And many have posted here about their great listening experience with these.  But they still face a tremendous bias against them - what I call the 'What no Gold Pins' phenomena.

Happy Rolling.

*ahem*  I'll refer you to my gold-pinned "6922"s [sic; for the confused - and who could blame you! - they're really 6N23Ps]

Have you ever seen a 6N23P with gold pins, other than Oddball?  Given their lineage - I'll guess Russian tubes smuggled from East Germany and labeled by a clueless US company (6922 Made In Germany! It'll always make me smile) - I'd say the 'What no Gold Pins' phenomena is decidedly Western decadence 
biggrin.gif
  I kid, but you can see how a US company might say, Look! Ours have gold pins!  The question is, where was the gold plating done?  Given your experience with Russian tubes, that's why I ask.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #4,971 of 23,494
Let the haters , hate Bob. There's a lot of people here who appreciate and respect what you do on here. Don't let a select few ruin it for you, and the many others who admire the time and effort you put into this hobby. By far you and thurstonx have taught me the most about tubes. Although I haven't really interacted much with thurstonx, his posts have helped me tremendously. At the end of the day, regardless of who has what tubes , it's all about the passion we share for music on a different level than most. I truly hope that you reconsider. Don't let them dudes take away your passion man. They definitely ain't worth it. That's my 0.02
Cheers my friend.

Much obliged.  I wish I could name all the posters herein and at Tubes Asylum and wherever a google search took me.  Without them, and an insatiable thirst for knowledge, I wouldn't have jack to pass along.  I will give a special tip o' the hat to @Oskari and his seemingly encyclopedic knowledge. Glad you and others appreciate it and take it in its proper context.

Oh, Bob won't be dismayed.  Don't you know: it's hard to keep a good man down 
beerchug.gif
   Everyone just needs to take a breath, and a drink, if that's your thing, listen to some good tunes, and maintain a measure of perspective.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #4,972 of 23,494

Much obliged.  I wish I could name all the posters herein and at Tubes Asylum and wherever a google search took me.  Without them, and an insatiable thirst for knowledge, I wouldn't have jack to pass along.  I will give a special tip o' the hat to @Oskari and his seemingly encyclopedic knowledge. Glad you and others appreciate it and take it in its proper context.

Oh, Bob won't be dismayed.  Don't you know: it's hard to keep a good man down 
beerchug.gif
   Everyone just needs to take a breath, and a drink, if that's your thing, listen to some good tunes, and maintain a measure of perspective.

Yes this old movie never really has a bad ending.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #4,973 of 23,494
Anybody happen to have a loose, well tested '76 or '77 voskhod rocket they'd like to sell? I'm currently running one of each in my Lyr and they sound great. I'd still love to match the numbers though. I have an '81 that could be traded out if need be. Also, I agree with what was posted earlier. Don't let anyone get you down rb2013. There's magic in these rockets. I definitely hear it!

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,974 of 23,494
Feb 9, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #4,976 of 23,494
What age do you guys think these are from?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-ECC88-PAIR-TUBE-PHILIPS-NOS-TESTED-TV7-EQ-MULLARD-CV2492-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-D3a-/291360681786?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item43d6732f3a

In the description they guesstimate that they are 60s but a confirmation would be great. If they are I might grab them as Miniwatts seem to have the warm smooth trebled sound I am looking for, similar to Mullard and Voskhod tubes. Thanks again to everyone that has helped me on my tube quest so far!

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #4,978 of 23,494
The photo shows a 1969 tube.

So they should be good ones then? Miniwatts have been recommended in the past and they are from the 60s which seems to be the best time to get them from. Does the price seem in line with what other people have paid for them in the past?

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #4,979 of 23,494
So they should be good ones then? Miniwatts have been recommended in the past and they are from the 60s which seems to be the best time to get them from. Does the price seem in line with what other people have paid for them in the past?

Let's put it this way: they could have been orange globes had they shipped to the US. The price is not too bad (but it is "as is").

You might want to make sure that both tubes are the same vintage, and that you are getting what's in the photo.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #4,980 of 23,494
You can see the factory codes in the marked photo, below.  The "delta" right triangle indicates the tube was made at the Heerlen factory in Holland, the '9' is for 1969 (in this case; could be 1959 on a different tube), the 'H' stands for August, and the '4' is the fourth week.  'GA' is the ECC88 tube type code, and 'C' is a later revision (letters having been used after numbers, and thus no mistaking it for 1959).  HTH.

What I find interesting are the two(?) posts, one of which seems to support a dimpled "getter" and possibly something above it (an 'O' "getter"?).  Any ideas or comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back