Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 9, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,996 of 23,494
  Seems to be every time I find something that might be good someone recommends something even more expensive 
size]

Eventually you'll have to decide for yourself. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4,997 of 23,494
Just out of interest what exactly would the difference be between a Miniwatt SQ made in 1964 compared to 1974 that makes the earlier ones better?

From looking them up they use the same getter and all the same materials. They are also their higher rated SQ tubes so the manufacturing tolerances should mean they are very similar shouldn't they?

Even though they are 1974 are they still worth it for that price? 

EDIT- If they are any good I am tempted to message the seller and barter with him due to the incorrect date in the listing,           might get a good deal that way! 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #4,998 of 23,494
I just got a pair of the new Tubemonger Socket Savers! Time to start rolling after I burn in the 74's. The Savers are 23mm in diameter/just shy of an inch.
http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

The Socket Savers with my newly acquired  '74 Reflektor SWGP Silvers and my '75 Voskhod Gray shield SWGP both from rb2013.

Burning in the '74 Reflektors and breaking in some new Vsonic VSD5's and Vsonic GR07 BE's.(My treadmill earphones.)

L3000.gif

I'm breaking them in with a Fiio X3 into the Lyr2. Usually I run my Lossless files out of the PC into the BiFrost but when I'm burning stuff in it's easier this way.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4,999 of 23,494
I really need to get some socket saves for my incoming Lyr 2. I don't suppose anyone in the US would be willing to by them and ship them to me in the UK so I don't get screwed by import fees? 

EDIT- Was going to say that you setup looks tasty but my mouse click is faster than my brain lol 
gs1000.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #5,000 of 23,494
Hey guys, any idea how to convert this guys tests to proper values? He is putting the wrong voltage on the tubes and showing abnormally high readings... I saw this discussed on another forum in another language, just wondering if anyone knows how to convert his erroneous readings...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321341821535

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #5,001 of 23,494
  For those new here and have not read the old thread - these flame attacks against the 6n23p's are not rare.  I have been through it before and much worse (they had to shut the old thread it got so bad).  Again these amazing tubes have had a constant upstream battle.  No dealer carries them because they are such a pain to find in good quality. 

It's been a one man battle from the start - now of course so many have got to own the best of these and experience their incredible sound quality.  And many have posted here about their great listening experience with these.  But they still face a tremendous bias against them - what I call the 'What no Gold Pins' phenomena.

I will not go into my history with these OP for the sake of this epic thread.

I want to apologize to anyone I may have offended or the nerves I have touched.  I am just a passion audio guy - sorry for showing to much of my enthusiasm at times.

As I have done in the past - I will just leave the thread for a good long while - to let folks settle down.  So for now any tube review will be on indefinite if not permanent hold.  It is just a tremendous amount of time and effort - and just not worth getting attacked over.

Enjoy your tube rolling experience - and don't let these petty squabbles turn you off to the great joys to had with this awesome amp firing a great set of tubes.

Happy Rolling.

*sigh*

I take a couple days off from the forum..

I am relatively new here but even I have seen a pattern from specific parties. We all have are off days. Me, included. Let's all be constructive.

rb2013, you have always been open and generous in sharing your knowledge and experience. I, personally, have gained a lot of knowledge in my time here in no small part to you. Please continue share your viewpoint.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #5,003 of 23,494
Has anyone dealt with the tubemuseum on ebay? Just curious if their service and pricing are good. Thanks

I can't comment on their service, but as to pricing, this seems a bit over the top to me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291248059683

I got a pair of the same from a German eBayer for $150.  I keep the above pair on my Watchlist just to see if they'll ever sell 
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,004 of 23,494
Thank you. Yeah that's a huge difference in price. Lol. I'll definitely be shopping for a pair of those.
I can't comment on their service, but as to pricing, this seems a bit over the top to me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291248059683

I got a pair of the same from a German eBayer for $150.  I keep the above pair on my Watchlist just to see if they'll ever sell :wink:

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #5,005 of 23,494
Thank you. Yeah that's a huge difference in price. Lol. I'll definitely be shopping for a pair of those.

I got mine, and a nice pair of '69 CCas from euroklang on eBay.  Being German, he seems to have a decent supply of Siemens, or did the last time I checked.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #5,007 of 23,494
Appreciate the info a lot. The eBay app is definitely the worst thing to happen to my wallet. Lol

NP, and tell me about it.  It's easy to get lost in the Hall of Mirrors and wind up with a Glass Menagerie you never intended to acquire.  Reminds me of all my wife's necklaces 
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #5,009 of 23,494
  Just out of interest what exactly would the difference be between a Miniwatt SQ made in 1964 compared to 1974 that makes the earlier ones better?

From looking them up they use the same getter and all the same materials. They are also their higher rated SQ tubes so the manufacturing tolerances should mean they are very similar shouldn't they?

Even though they are 1974 are they still worth it for that price? 

EDIT- If they are any good I am tempted to message the seller and barter with him due to the incorrect date in the listing,           might get a good deal that way! 
tongue_smile.gif

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the above questions?

Also can anyone date these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151500554207?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From what I can tell they are either from 1961 or 1971 but not sure which so any incite into that would be good.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5,010 of 23,494
  Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the above questions?

Also can anyone date these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151500554207?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From what I can tell they are either from 1961 or 1971 but not sure which so any incite into that would be good.

Honestly, only your ears can tell you if you hear a difference between even matched '64s and '74s.  Nature of the beast.  That said, the world is full of opinions, and hopefully someone familiar with both can provide theirs.

re: the tubes in question, I want to say 1961, but without knowing the "7L[?]" code, it's tough to say.  I can't see it in the photos.  Write the seller and ask.  I'd guess 7L4 or 7L5 would be 1961, whereas 7LG would be 1971.  Hopefully they can tell you.  Perhaps the lack of the code is telltale.  I'm not sure how those test numbers relate to NOS on that tester.  Another question to pose that the seller should be able to answer, or a google search might reveal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back