Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,952 of 23,494
Just noticed one of my newly purchased RTC/Mullard E188CC tubes is microphonic. I usually unplug my cans before turning off the Lyr, but didn't yesterday, and noticed the "tinging" noise when I switched off the amp. Further investigation when lightly tapping the tubes while the amp is on produces the same noise in one tube. I have about 15hrs on them. I was surprised that the highly touted E188CC tube from Mullard exhibits this. I assumed the more stringent standards for this "higher grade" tube would include testing for microphonics? Should I contact the seller and arrange for a replacement?

May 3, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,953 of 23,494
  Just noticed one of my newly purchased RTC/Mullard E188CC tubes is microphonic. I usually unplug my cans before turning off the Lyr, but didn't yesterday, and noticed the "tinging" noise when I switched off the amp. Further investigation when lightly tapping the tubes while the amp is on produces the same noise in one tube. I have about 15hrs on them. I was surprised that the highly touted E188CC tube from Mullard exhibits this. I assumed the more stringent standards for this "higher grade" tube would include testing for microphonics? Should I contact the seller and arrange for a replacement?

Every tube is microphonic to some degree, but from what you tell us, the degree of microphonics in your tube would seem not to be a problem, especially as you are using headphones. If this tube was in an amp in a room with a loudspeaker system, it could be a problem.. If this tube was in a guitar amplifier on a stage, it could be a problem. But as this tube is in an amp in a quiet space and you have to tap on it to get a microphonic ring, in my opinion, for your application, this tube is fine. :)

Cheers

May 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,955 of 23,494
I have a Lyr, not that many hours on it, yet, but I'm interested to buy a set of other tubes to witness differences - I did some research a while back, but that has since gone - can someone point me to "tubes that are good and different to stock tubes" and (ideally, but not necessarily so) sub 100$, please?

Pointing me right to the ebay vender would be truly helpful.

Thanks for any suggestions

May 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,958 of 23,494
May 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,959 of 23,494
I ordered up some of those same Voskhod Rockets, the price was so good for an unused tube.  If they sound good I may stock up.  I got some old bugle boys on the way too.  I have listened to two other Lyr's with Amperex tubes, and it transforms the amp.

May 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,960 of 23,494
^^ Nice. 
biggrin.gif
 Please let me know what you think of them. 

May 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,961 of 23,494
I prefer RTC/amperex e188cc year around 1960.  right now, it's my favorite after voskhod 74 gray/SWGP.
Just back from a two week business trip, saw your post. Sounds like your liking the sound of the 6n23p Russian '74 Gray Shield Single Wire Getter Posts! So glad to hear they are your favorites. You've been rolling many of the best 6922 through the Lyr for a long time here, that says a lot!!! A well matched pair of these are really exceptional.

Cheers!

May 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,962 of 23,494
Just back from a two week business trip, saw your post. Sounds like your liking the sound of the 6n23p Russian '74 Gray Shield Single Wire Getter Posts! So glad to hear they are your favorites. You've been rolling many of the best 6922 through the Lyr for a long time here, that says a lot!!! A well matched pair of these are really exceptional.

Cheers!

Yes, I like 71 too, I've listening 74 and 71...Also other Voskhod glass...I'm hook on them.. It's perfect for my mahler recording and other goodys.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back