Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #1,921 of 23,494
Hey guys I got my Lyr today so its only been used for a few hours so far but i can notice a bit of noise coming from the tubes, I'm using fairly low resistance/efficient headphones at the moment so this is probably why as my Alpha Dogs wont arrive until tomorrow or the next day.

Just wondering if this is normal?

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,923 of 23,494
  What hp's are you currently using? The lyr will be noisy with some hp's for sure. 

Yeah I am using A900Xs so thats no doubt the cause, cant wait to get my ADs in the next couple of days!

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,924 of 23,494
The lyr will be a great match for the AD's. In fact Dan from Mr. Speakers owns a lyr and often demonstrates the AD at shows with this amp. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the pairing. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,925 of 23,494
The lyr will be a great match for the AD's. In fact Dan from Mr. Speakers owns a lyr and often demonstrates the AD at shows with this amp. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the pairing. 
I wish I had a chance to listen to the alpha dogs at the meet in Charlotte with my Lyr. Fortunately though, Dan had a Gungnir/ Mjolnir setup with the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs and that combination sounded absolutely fantastic with EDM and rock.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,926 of 23,494

Yeah I have only heard good things about the combo so I am very very excited for them to arrive, I'm sure it will make the 5 week wait all worth it :D

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,928 of 23,494
Presenting: Sylvania 7963 subminiature frame grid double triode

Shown next to a 6N23P for scale

From: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/9798/sylvania-7963-best-e88cc-planet?page=1&scrollTo=134293
"The 7963..... can trace its ancestry to the 6DJ8 family. In fact, with regard to audio applications, the 7963 offers performance in low level audio applications that is superior to all 6DJ8 variants, and to all other subminiature twin triodes as well."

The easiest way to use this tube in the Lyr is to solder the wire leads into the corresponding pin-holes of a 9-pin socket saver. Check the Rock Grotto thread for more info, but certainly not at all difficult for anyone comfortable with a soldering iron.

They can be purchased for about $25 on eBay, so not expensive. I have tested this tube in another amp, and while I do not have a lot of ear time with it, I do believe it is good enough and cheap enough to be well worth trying in the Lyr.

Cheers

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,929 of 23,494
Get some hours on your tubes if you can.

Yeah I have had them running all night,

Aren't these stock GEs meant to get scalding hot? Because my Lyr is hot to the touch but i can comfortably rest my hand on top and not have tor remove it etc.
Same goes with the tubes as well, can comfortably rest my finger on the rounded top.
Or maybe I was just expecting from what people said for it to be like finger searing hot
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,931 of 23,494
My hands aren't super heat sensitive so they are probably running at normal temperatures then :)

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,932 of 23,494
  Presenting: Sylvania 7963 subminiature frame grid double triode

Shown next to a 6N23P for scale

From: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/9798/sylvania-7963-best-e88cc-planet?page=1&scrollTo=134293
"The 7963..... can trace its ancestry to the 6DJ8 family. In fact, with regard to audio applications, the 7963 offers performance in low level audio applications that is superior to all 6DJ8 variants, and to all other subminiature twin triodes as well."

The easiest way to use this tube in the Lyr is to solder the wire leads into the corresponding pin-holes of a 9-pin socket saver. Check the Rock Grotto thread for more info, but certainly not at all difficult for anyone comfortable with a soldering iron.

They can be purchased for about $25 on eBay, so not expensive. I have tested this tube in another amp, and while I do not have a lot of ear time with it, I do believe it is good enough and cheap enough to be well worth trying in the Lyr.

Cheers

Gibosi, must I try this?

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,934 of 23,494
  Gibosi, must I try this?

"Must" is a very strong word! lol

Since I tested mine with the wires screwed into a breadboard socket, I wasn't able to AB this tube against others, such as VR 6N23P, and I really can't say how good I think it is.

Since I already have the tube, I do plan to solder it into an adapter so that I can more easily make comparisons. And I am also hoping that some of the more adventurous folks here in the Lyr thread will be curious enough to try it and post their results so we can compare our impressions.

So unless you are feeling adventurous and curious, and have the time, it might be prudent to wait until others have tried it to see if it is worth the trouble. :) 

Edit: Added picture

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,935 of 23,494

"Must" is a very strong word! lol

Since I tested mine with the wires screwed into a breadboard socket, I wasn't able to AB this tube against others, such as VR 6N23P, and I really can't say how good I think it is. Since I already have the tube, I do plan to solder it into an adapter so that I can more easily make comparisons. And I am also hoping that some of the more adventurous folks here in the Lyr thread will be curious enough to try it and post their results so we can compare our impressions.

So unless you are feeling adventurous and curious, and have the time, it might be prudent to wait until others have tried it to see if it is worth the trouble. :) 

I can be very bored... lol I'll do this after I finish with my LD 6SN7 review, and my 6F8G experiment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back