Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,621 of 23,494
My boxes are full :wink:

Maybe next year I'll go hunting again, but it'll have to be a really good deal to get the Siemens gray shields or '60s Telefunken E88CCs.  I need to save my quarters and dimes for the HE-560s :D
These rare CCas are ridiculously expensive - $500+ a pr on ebay. I once had one fail on me! That was it, and back then they could be had for $200. I still think upgrading your tubes is the best bang for the buck in audio. Now I've spend a lot on cables, but they don't wear out. So I guess there is a limit. I was tempted recently, a guy was selling a matched pr of Amperex pinched waists on Audiogon, for like $670 a pr. Even I draw the line at certain point! Btw - nice collection!

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,622 of 23,494
There is much to be said for amps that only use half a dual triode per side. Normal amps will use one tube (with two 'triodes' per tube) but if you use two tubes the left one uses the L triode, the right one uses the R one then you can swap tubes over to double life :grin:. You also get to use 'duff' tubes that only have one good side and are thrown out by others, for nothing :)

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,623 of 23,494
These rare CCas are ridiculously expensive - $500+ a pr on ebay. I once had one fail on me! That was it, and back then they could be had for $200. I still think upgrading your tubes is the best bang for the buck in audio. Now I've spend a lot on cables, but they don't wear out. So I guess there is a limit. I was tempted recently, a guy was selling a matched pr of Amperex pinched waists on Audiogon, for like $670 a pr. Even I draw the line at certain point! Btw - nice collection!

Thanks!  I like 'em so much I built them their own house 
darthsmile.gif

Got my CCas for around $220, and they seem pretty solid.  Of course, ya never know.

For me, it goes cans, amp, dac, tubes / acoustic mods (pick 'em)... cables.  I have an expensive aftermarket cable for my HE-500s.  Cryo-treated Type 2 Litz, yada yada yada.  Then I got the DIY bug.  I made a cable for a tenth the cost (less, if you have the spare SMC connectors, easily the most expensive parts; 60% of total cost) using Mogami W2799 wire.  I cannot tell the difference, unless you count pride of workmanship, and then mine sounds better 
wink.gif

So for me, new cans will make the biggest difference, and give me exponentially more variety, as I'll be able to pair all those tubes with the new cans.  But that's just me.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,624 of 23,494
  There is much to be said for amps that only use half a dual triode per side. Normal amps will use one tube (with two 'triodes' per tube) but if you use two tubes the left one uses the L triode, the right one uses the R one then you can swap tubes over to double life :grin:. You also get to use 'duff' tubes that only have one good side and are thrown out by others, for nothing :)

Interesting.  Obviously I've still got so much to learn.  What are some examples of such frugal amps?

Then there's the Project Ember, which people seem to love, and it uses only one tube.  That amp or new tubes... I'd go with the amp.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,625 of 23,494
There is much to be said for amps that only use half a d triode per side. Normal amps will use one tube (with two 'triodes' per tube) but if you use two tubes the left one uses the L triode, the right one uses the R one then you can swap tubes over to double life :grin:. You also get to use 'duff' tubes that only have one good side and are thrown out by others, for nothing :)
And how does one 'get 'duff' tubes thrown out by others' for free? If anyone is interested they can buy that whole box of throw outs for $50, as is no testing or shipping. Seattle pickup.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,627 of 23,494
Another technical discussion on matching and balancing tubes from The Tube Store. ‘For audiophiles: For best pre-amp performance possible, use matched and balanced pre-amp tubes.' http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Matching-and-other-tube-info/Matched-Sections-Service

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,632 of 23,494

Interesting.  Obviously I've still got so much to learn.  What are some examples of such frugal amps?

Then there's the Project Ember, which people seem to love, and it uses only one tube.  That amp or new tubes... I'd go with the amp.

Most of my amps I build so this is easy to do but is a long time practice used by / promoted by DIYers / VTV etc. It is probably less common in commercial stuff nowdays but would be fine for the LD 'roller crowd' who have taken things well beyond normal rolling. I used to have several dealers who would put interesting valves to one side for me until my next visit at no cost. Most liked the idea that they were being used rather than trashed. It allowed me decades ago to work out what was good  / bad in both types / makes and then for not silly money get a decent stash together of proper NOS valves that I still use today. If I had done the Ember I would used two valves, each using a half. There is no commercial value what ever in a Telefunken E88CC that only has one working half but it can make someone happy :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,635 of 23,494
+3 on the Teles. I have 50 hrs. run time on a pair, & the bass is incredible (great dynamics, but finely detailed & nuanced), best on low frequencies so far in my set-up. Leans warmer/ darker overall, and not as open/ airy as the Siemens or Amperex Orange Globes. But what it does right is so mesmerizing ...

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back