Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,636 of 23,494
What year are your 6n23p? That Vega is one sweet dac! Did you read the 6moons review? Dedicated DsD and DxD chips? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/auralic5/1.html

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I was (and still am, while typing this... woops, the music just stopped time to add more :p) listening to my LCD-3's with the 1980's rockets, I posted the ebay link where I got it from before on this same thread you can check it out and here's the link just so you don't have to work your way to find it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-MATCHED-SUPER-STRONG-6N23P-80s-USSR-VOSKHOD-Military-TUBES-PAIR-6DJ8-E88CC-/301115482116

So far: Very warm sound, strong bass presence, three dimensional, treble is sparkling, mid is sweet and lush, schiit load of detail as well.

Still can't wait for the Vega, I'm gonna be blown away.

Also, just yesterday I put some music and listened on my bed with eyes closed, at some point, there was some sound as if a meteorite is falling down and exploding at the end, it was quick, but very very real I was rather mind blown (Hence why Vega with with my Lyr would totally blow my mind :D)

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,637 of 23,494
Hey, sorry for the late reply, I was (and still am, while typing this... woops, the music just stopped time to add more :p) listening to my LCD-3's with the 1980's rockets, I posted the ebay link where I got it from before on this same thread you can check it out and here's the link just so you don't have to work your way to find it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-MATCHED-SUPER-STRONG-6N23P-80s-USSR-VOSKHOD-Military-TUBES-PAIR-6DJ8-E88CC-/301115482116

So far: Very warm sound, strong bass presence, three dimensional, treble is sparkling, mid is sweet and lush, schiit load of detail as well.

Still can't wait for the Vega, I'm gonna be blown away.

Also, just yesterday I put some music and listened on my bed with eyes closed, at some point, there was some sound as if a meteorite is falling down and exploding at the end, it was quick, but very very real I was rather mind blown (Hence why Vega with with my Lyr would totally blow my mind :D)
The Voshkods will get even better as they breakin. They'll get sweeter, with more detail, and the forwardness will settle down. Welcome to the Rocket club! I was reading the Vega review on 6moons, Wow, what these guys did with that Sabre dac chip is amazing. I have some DxD and native SACD file I downloaded from the l2 website for free, they sound really good. My tubed dacs can't handle the 352k sampling rate, but I have a Musiland Monitor US 2013 3.0 USB that has a built in dac that can. The sound rivals my tube Xindak dac. With foobar and SoX I can upsample to 352k redbook cd tracks, pretty decent. The opamp analog stage is just fair in the Musiland, the Vega looks pretty stellar - class a discrete - I believe. Dual mono as well. Near to SOTA as I can tell. 6moons loved it. 0ne question? Will you ever take your LCD 3s off? :)

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,638 of 23,494
The Voshkods will get even better as they breakin. They'll get sweeter, with more detail, and the forwardness will settle down. Welcome to the Rocket club! I was reading the Vega review on 6moons, Wow, what these guys did with that Sabre dac chip is amazing. I have some DxD and native SACD file I downloaded from the l2 website for free, they sound really good. My tubed dacs can't handle the 352k sampling rate, but I have a Musiland Monitor US 2013 3.0 USB that has a built in dac that can. The sound rivals my tube Xindak dac. With foobar and SoX I can upsample to 352k redbook cd tracks, pretty decent. The opamp analog stage is just fair in the Musiland, the Vega looks pretty stellar - class a discrete - I believe. Dual mono as well. Near to SOTA as I can tell. 6moons loved it. 0ne question? Will you ever take your LCD 3s off? :)

Well, I have to take my LCD-3's off, but if I had the chance, I'd keep them on :D

6moons has too much poetry I can't understand what he's saying, also I had a listen at some point to Antelope Zodiac Platinum, as it stands, I'm more impressed with my setup atm than I am from Zodiac Platinum, and that's with the Lyr and Voskhod tubes + Xonar Essence STX card, the zodiac platinum based on 6moons is said to have more from everything but just not enough to be worth the extra, for some reason I think it's just reviewers job to try and tell people that this is more expensive so it must be better.. I dunno.
I'm thinking Auralic Vega would totally kill the Zodiac Platinum, sorry to our fellow ukrainian-american Igor person :p

Though the Platinum quite upped the bill in these games, it didn't set up shop in a higher performance tier. I don't know how much coin it'd take to get there against my decks. What was clear? Antelope's $5.500 were insufficient. Dealing instead in 
minor 
sideways manoeuvres, the Platinum staged a tad deeper and with greater top-end illumination to have a narrow edge on layering and classic far-behind-the-speakers perspective. The Vega's slightly richer more saturated colors arose as though on a virtual gloss display like a modern Mac's. Zodiac colors were a bit more muted like a matte display. Though tone density differs from color temperature, like all other hifi qualities they intersect. Hence the Vega's take paralleled its darker colors with a perception of slightly greater physicality and 
contrast
. The latter wasn't dynamic contrast but what's casually though fittingly called image pop. For that and the same 348kHz/DSD128 compatibility at a lower price, some could find it more attractive. The moment one seeks preamp replacement however, the Platinum's full-scale useable volume wins. Add headphone drive and Igor Levin's twin boxer gets ahead not on sound (here it's equivalent if not identical to the Vega) but on all'round featurization.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,639 of 23,494
Yeah he gets pretty flowery in his prose. From what I take the Vega has a more lush tone, I guess more tube like, which to my preference wins everytime. He kind says it's a preference thing, and at a lower cost. My APL NWO DAC has a digital volume control as well, so it could feed an amp directly and played around trying that. For me it wasn't close to my Conrad Johnson ACT2, not in the same league. He hit that nail on the head in the review, thin and flat sounding. But the Lyr has an analog volume control - so no worries! The Antelope has the capability of adding the Atomic Clock, although he didn't mention how that might improve the sound in the review. I really like that 'exact' clock feature in the Vega. Also the user selectable filters, the Antelope has fixed ones. The review had impluse rsponse charts, showing how improved resolution produces a more realistic wave response. I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a DSD/DXD capable tubed DAC. Hopefully with 6922s. Sch**t?

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,640 of 23,494
Also, Atomic clock, just how much more precise can you get from 82 femtoseconds? :p

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,643 of 23,494
Originally Posted by gmahler2u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for voshkod 6n23p 1975 gray or silver.  Anyone seen these around here?

It is becoming hard to find these "rockets". I see only 1979 grays on local Russian auction. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,645 of 23,494
  ^^ I had a pair of these about a year ago. I wish that I never sold them. I thought that they sounded wonderful. 

I know what you mean. I sold off two pair of '75 grays a couple months back and they sounded superb.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,646 of 23,494
well, this mean I have order the tubes from the Russian and make the set myself...

Thank you...
darthsmile.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,647 of 23,494
  well, this mean I have order the tubes from the Russian and make the set myself...

Thank you...
darthsmile.gif

You are welcome but that tubes is hard to find in Russia and ex-USSR also.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,649 of 23,494
hello.

I have question, I'm looking for voshkod 6n23p 1975 gray or silver.  Anyone seen these around here?  I can't find it from ebay....so I'm wondering..

thanks
They are nearly impossible to find that pass testing. I did manage to find an extra pair but had a buyer who had bought a pr previously ('75 Rocket Gray Shield Plate Post) and wanted another, so he got them. I'm able to put together matched and balanced pairs from large lots. But the last batch that came in yesterday had an almost 40% fail rate! Including a '75 gray! What a shame. Still not one '75 Voskhod or Reflektor Single Wire Getter Post. Out of a hundred tubes! Ugg! If anyone come across one let me know, I'm a buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back