Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,666 of 23,494
Thank You Rb for you clearification.  I will wait for the decent price...Right now, I have Voshkod 76/gray.  I'm very happy with this pairs.  That is why I'm looking for 75,  and yes, I do have some
79/gray...

Once again, Thanks  :wink_face:
You have some very nice Russians. To spend money on a crap shoot isn't worth it, at least for me. It's getting harder and harder to find these. After I find one more solid pr of holy grails, I'm done.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,667 of 23,494
But Voskhod made a version of these as well. Here is the '75 Single Wire Getter Post Gray Shield. My #2 favorite.

Have you noticed any sonic difference from month to month? I have I-75, II-75, III-75, VI-75 and VIII-75, all with the single wire getter post, gray shield. However, I notice that the plates on III-75 are slightly different, a bit more enclosed, whereas the others are more open. (To be honest, I haven't taken the time to listen closely to all of these.....)

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,668 of 23,494
Have you noticed any sonic difference from month to month? I have I-75, II-75, III-75, VI-75 and VIII-75, all with the single wire getter post, gray shield. However, I notice that the plates on III-75 are slightly different, a bit more enclosed, whereas the others are more open. (To be honest, I haven't taken the time to listen closely to all of these.....)
Nice collection! There may be some minor manufacturing differences. I have not detected a month to month variation. Most likely what will effect the sound quality is the section output matching and balance of outputs between tubes in a pair. One might get gasey tubes (that fail the gas emissions test - about 5% of what I get).

If your tubes have widely mismatched sections and balance between the pair, this will muddy the clarity and detail. Yours may not be mis-matched, no way to know for sure without testing - I'd try different combinations of these to see which sounded best.

The lower level of detail provides the ambient clues that lead to a wide and deep soundstage. The projection of instruments and singers in the soundstage will be blurred as well. Like a camera slightly out of focus. These are some of the best traits of the best 6n23ps. Of course, if you can find exactly matched dates (months and yr) great, but it shouldn't be at the expense of output matching. You have not heard what these tubes are capable of until you've heard a well matched pair. I laugh when I see these Russian dealers show their big '60s testers in their ads, and show the output results of the tubes they're supposedly sending. Of course the give away is the tubes pictured are of different yrs from the ones they've supposedly tested. My experience, they'll send worn out tubes, figuring how many folks have a tester! I do, and have complained, filed ebay cases. They''l just refund you and ebay removes the negative feedback! Then it's on to other testerless buyers. And they Block you from buying from them again!

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,670 of 23,494
Yes, a good tube tester is on my wish list... Any recommendations for a good one that isn't too expensive?
I had a Hickok but it was an older one. I upgraded to a newer Sencor TC-162. The Sencor is an emissions tester and the Hickok a mutual conductance tester. I bought my Sencor from a friend who had a music shop that dealt with a lot of the Rock groups in Seattle, like Mud Honey, etc... Almost all the bands had tubed amps, etc... He was a busy guy. He had this Sencor calibrated right before I bought it. It's very good at detecting tubes that are going gasey, and about to fail. It also has a proprietary test called 'LIFE TEST' that will detect tubes about to fail. It's pretty good for output testing, the Hickoks are slightly better. But I don't need output tests to two decimal places. The idea is to get matches within 5-7%. Trust me - so many tubes I get have 15-20% mismatches!

I also want tubes that test within 90% of NOS. On my tester, 0-50 is bad, 50-70 is questionable, 70- 100 good. But in my long experience once a tube gets into the low '80s it's going down hill pretty quickly. It also tests for shorts. I love this tester since was one of the last made in the USA, is very reliable, doesn't need frequent re-calibration, has a line voltage adjustment...etc

PS I should mention the top of the line Hickoks are better then the WWII one I had. Also the scale I mentioned above applies to my tester and the 6n23p. It may not apply to a different tester make or model, or different tubes. If you are buying from a reputable dealer I would not worry - they have been tested and matched. It's some of the ebay Russian dealers I've had such a bad experience with. Early on, last yr there were some good Russian dealers, but I haven't seen them in a long while. So buyer beware there.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,671 of 23,494
I had a Hickok but it was an older one. I upgraded to a newer Sencor TC-162....

As always, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. For sure, my Voskhods sound great to my ears, but I have no idea how "healthy" they are. So I will start looking for a Sencor. (As I have over 500 tubes of all different types, I can see "marathon testing sessions" in my future. lol)

Cheers. :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,673 of 23,494
As always, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. For sure, my Voskhods sound great to my ears, but I have no idea how "healthy" they are. So I will start looking for a Sencor. (As I have over 500 tubes of all different types, I can see "marathon testing sessions" in my future. lol)

Cheers. :)
They can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. I may look for a good condition TV7. My friend said that on big power tubes the mu testers are better, but on small signal tubes a em tester is fine. You'll know where you stand in your collection, and you'll be able to match prs. Have fun!

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #1,675 of 23,494
hi Rb.  Do you have closer shot of the dimpled plate getter?
Sorry my camera won't focus any closer. But it's pretty easy to see, the plate that holds the saucer getter has a raised line on it. You should be able to see it pretty clearly in the picture. But the dead give away is the dual posts (2 posts). These tubes are sometimes refered to as 6n23p-eb or -ev. The curved single wire getter post is so completely different, it's very hard to confuse the two.

Soon I'll post some pictures of the really weird 6n23ps I have. Including a '58 Voskhod - the oldest in my collection. The Reflektors have been around longer to the early 50's. One of my DACs takes just one 6922, so I was able to compare these ultra rare versions. They sounded just very good - not in the tier 1 class, but fun to look at.

One day I might start a 6n23p museum on line - for posterity!

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,676 of 23,494
  hi Rb.  Do you have closer shot of the dimpled plate getter?

If you look at the '71 Reflectors listed here
www.ebay.com/itm/Reflector-6N23P-tubes-US-Seller-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-Eqv-1971-dates-/291113760914

you can see the "dimple" (raised line) pretty well.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,679 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back