Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 20, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,517 of 23,494
My advise for your 1st tube rolling experiment with Lyr is to try some Amperex  orange globes or bugle boys. Tube Hunter aka Merecedes Man on Ebay always has them at fair prices.  If you can't hear any real difference from the stock GEs consider yourself lucky you will be saving a fortune in tube rolling .

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,518 of 23,494
To anyone who knows Amperex date codes... does the following sound right?

The date codes (faint gray print) stamped on the Bugle Boy Straight Man D getters:

One has...
GA2 (Tube Type + Change code; pretty sure GA = 6DJ8 or ECC88)
48C (Factory Year Month)

The other has...
<Don't see the TTC printed; the silkscreening is pretty much gone on this tube>
49G

Based on the info here:  www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm

it seems they are from March 1958 and July 1959, respectively, and are from the Venolanda S.A., Venezuela factory.  I need to double check the '4' since it can be printed in reverse, which would be a British factory.  Pretty sure both are straight up '4' though.

Assuming all that's correct, those tubes have had a fascinating journey:
Venezuela --> ?? --> Australia --> U.S.

If only those tubes could talk!  Well, as long as they can sing, I'm happy 
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,520 of 23,494
  To anyone who knows Amperex date codes... does the following sound right?

The date codes (faint gray print) stamped on the Bugle Boy Straight Man D getters:

One has...
GA2 (Tube Type + Change code; pretty sure GA = 6DJ8 or ECC88)
48C (Factory Year Month)

The other has...
<Don't see the TTC printed; the silkscreening is pretty much gone on this tube>
49G

Based on the info here:  www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm

it seems they are from March 1958 and July 1959, respectively, and are from the Venolanda S.A., Venezuela factory.  I need to double check the '4' since it can be printed in reverse, which would be a British factory.  Pretty sure both are straight up '4' though.

Assuming all that's correct, those tubes have had a fascinating journey:
Venezuela --> ?? --> Australia --> U.S.

If only those tubes could talk!  Well, as long as they can sing, I'm happy 
wink.gif

That "4" is likely a Delta, which indicateds Heerlen, Holland. "8" is 1958 and "C" is March. And the other tube was manufactured in July, 1959, same factory.

http://tubedata.milbert.com/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB-v10.pdf

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,521 of 23,494
  I know I saw another listing for codes but you can try to decipher this.  http://www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm

Yep, I linked there 
wink.gif
  If you find the other listing, please do post.  I usually start (and end) at Brent's page.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,522 of 23,494
  That "4" is likely a Delta, which indicateds Heerlen, Holland. "8" is 1958 and "C" is March. And the other tube was manufactured in July, 1959, same factory.

http://tubedata.milbert.com/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeListAB-v10.pdf

I'll compare to my other Amperex where the delta is plainly visible, and while I agree that Heerlen seems more likely (and preferable?), these sure looked like '4's.  Maybe my camera on macro can get a good shot of the codes.  I'll give it a try after they've had their DeoxIT soak.

Thanks for the link!

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,525 of 23,494

I'll compare to my other Amperex where the delta is plainly visible, and while I agree that Heerlen seems more likely (and preferable?), these sure looked like '4's.  Maybe my camera on macro can get a good shot of the codes.  I'll give it a try after they've had their DeoxIT soak.

My money's on Heerlen, Holland. :)

In the early 1950's, "4" was used as a factory symbol for one of the Eindhoven factories, and sometime later, Venolanda S.A, Venezuela. The ECC88 was first put into production by Amperex in 1958, and I do not believe they were ever manufactured in Eindhoven. However, I have some ECC40s (a miniature European version of the 6SN7GT), manufactured in 1955 at the Eindhoven #4 factory.

For late 1940's and early 1950's Philips tubes, this factory listing can be helpful:

http://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeList.pdf

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,526 of 23,494

In the early 1950's, "4" was used as a factory symbol for one of the Eindhoven factories, and sometime later, Venolanda S.A, Venezuela. The ECC88 was first put into production by Amperex in 1958, and I do not believe they were ever manufactured in Eindhoven. However, I have some ECC40s (a miniature European version of the 6SN7GT), manufactured in 1955 at the Eindhoven #4 factory.

For late 1940's and early 1950's Philips tubes, this factory listing can be helpful:

http://frank.pocnet.net/other/Philips/PhilipsCodeList.pdf

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and insights.  So these are early production ECC88s.  And no, I won't take that bet 
wink.gif
  I'm sure you're right, but I'll still post the photos, if they turn out OK.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,527 of 23,494
I'm also betting that Gibosi is correct...it's a delta, not a 4. My '59s have similar markings.

To quote Vicki Vallencourt..."that's what it's gonna be"

beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,529 of 23,494

I definitely agree that Heerlen is the likely source.

The ECC88 was first put into production by Amperex in 1958

Philips, if you please. 
regular_smile .gif

and I do not believe they were ever manufactured in Eindhoven.

I'm not aware of any Eindhoven production either. Philips had their major research labs in Eindhoven, though. It is quite possible, even probable, that the research production lines of those reseach labs made some. Some of the Eindhoven "numbers" point to actual research labs. I'm not sure about number 4, though.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,530 of 23,494
After I put a pair of reading glasses (so handy for soldering or sussing out mysterious date codes...:wink: I was able to discern the delta symbol I'd mistaken for a 4.  See, that's why I didn't bet 
wink.gif
  And yes, it is the most logical source.  Who knows if they even manufactured those tubes in Venezuela.  All moot.

They have a nice, detailed, airy sort of sound after a little warmup.  Not great low end compared to other tubes, though.  Curious if they'll break in more (no idea if they were NOS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back