Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,501 of 23,494
  My setup is Foobar2000 -> ASUS Maximus VI Impact Mobo (TOSLINK 24/192) -> Audioengine D1 -> Schiit Lyr (Late 70's Voskhods OR Amperex OG tubes) -> DT880.  

I LOVE this setup, but I'd like to try and open the soundstage a bit more.  Other than that, I just love to stare at the Lyr.

I'm mainly a Jazz / Classical kinda guy entering into the tube rolling arena.  This weekend a friend is going to a radio/hobbyist get together in NC, so I should be able to get a bunch of interesting tubes.  I'm finding that the stories behind these tubes are more interesting to me than most of the tubes themselves.  Example: the fact I possibly own tubes from the Russian space program and can use them in a headphone amplifier is just downright cool.

Nice setup.  Congratulations. 

Yeah, you possibly own tubes from the Russian space program...or you own the tubes from a 70s Soviet bloc hair dryer. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,502 of 23,494

Nice setup.  Congratulations. 

Yeah, you possibly own tubes from the Russian space program...or you own the tubes from a 70s Soviet bloc hair dryer. 
biggrin.gif

I never thought of that, but what a hoot!  You could be right! 
wink_face.gif
  The mystery of the tubes...  I'll have to search this forum for some good tube hunting stories...

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,503 of 23,494
My setup is Foobar2000 -> ASUS Maximus VI Impact Mobo (TOSLINK 24/192) -> Audioengine D1 -> Schiit Lyr (Late 70's Voskhods OR Amperex OG tubes) -> DT880.  

I LOVE this setup, but I'd like to try and open the soundstage a bit more.  Other than that, I just love to stare at the Lyr.

I'm mainly a Jazz / Classical kinda guy entering into the tube rolling arena.  This weekend a friend is going to a radio/hobbyist get together in NC, so I should be able to get a bunch of interesting tubes.  I'm finding that the stories behind these tubes are more interesting to me than most of the tubes themselves.  Example: the fact I possibly own tubes from the Russian space program and can use them in a headphone amplifier is just downright cool.

If you are aiming for a bigger and more open soundstage, my best suggestion is actually going to be the Bifrost Uber. It probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but seriously, this combo just works.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,504 of 23,494
Anyone try modifying this amp yet? I'm thinking I'm done with 6DJ8's for a bit... maybe make up some adapters to run octals... I'm gonna take a stab at this when I get home in a few weeks.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,505 of 23,494
If you are aiming for a bigger and more open soundstage, my best suggestion is actually going to be the Bifrost Uber. It probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but seriously, this combo just works.

No, I'm totally down with that answer.  Schiit is some damn fine looking equipment with the SQ to back it up.  Now, if I can only catch a BiFrost Uber in the Head Fi classifieds.  My ears don't seem to understand the difference between the Amperex OG Hollands and the Voskhods I got for 8 bucks, so I'm guessing the tubes aren't what I should be focusing on anyways... But I can notice the smaller soundstage.  Maybe I can fix it with a foobar2000 plugin for free.  I'll keep playing while I look for a Bifrost Uber.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,507 of 23,494
One suggestion would be, if possible, shifting from toslink to spdif. In my experience spdif offers the best sound quality. Yes the Voskhods are really cool! And sound amazing.

I can do that with the cabling I've currently got and my Motherboard has SPDIF.  Just wanted to say thanks for that idea rb2013, I didn't think to try that...

EDIT: Just noticed the Audioengine D1 doesn't have SPDIF.  Darn.  I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Uber Bifrost and make the D1 my work DAC/amp, which works out.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,508 of 23,494
I can do that with the cabling I've currently got and my Motherboard has SPDIF.  Just wanted to say thanks for that idea rb2013, I didn't think to try that...

EDIT: Just noticed the Audioengine D1 doesn't have SPDIF.  Darn.  I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Uber Bifrost and make the D1 my work DAC/amp, which works out.
I went to the link, it looks like the D1 is limited to 24/96. This is pretty typical of toslink only dacs, in fact is generally a limitation of 24/192 dacs through their toslink. It's good you use Foobar, I do as well, on two dedicated music servers. I've spend alot of time optimizing it. I would highly recommend loading the SOX upsampler, then upsampling your 16/44 files to 24/176 or 24/192 (hopefully you're not running mp3s). This seems to open up the sound and increase the soundstage. I did try both the SSRC and the PPHS - but prefered the SOX. This is another reason to get a 24/196 capable dac. I would run foobar in 'kernal streaming' mode. You can load the ddl from the Hydrogen website.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,510 of 23,494
Looking at the Audioengine D1 info more carefully, you should be able to get true 24/192 from the USB. Give that a try, you may have to download some drivers. They may have Asynchronous drivers. They use those wonderful AK4396 dac chips! My APL uses the same in a 20 dac per channel ladder. One correction Toslink is spdif but optical, vs coaxial spdif from an rca jack.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,511 of 23,494
Hi, I'm new to the whole tube rolling world and I don't want to intervene in a running discussion. I'm considering the Lyr and really like a rather warm sound. What would you recommend?

And sorry if this sounds stupid, a few months back I didn't even know what tube rolling was :) But I read that the tubes are all very old and probably not manufacured anymore. What if all tubes supplies are depleted in the future?

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,513 of 23,494
  Just run the unit with the stock tubes for a while. Don't get caught up in tube rolling right from the start.

Good advice...

But who really can resist?

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,514 of 23,494
Hi, I'm new to the whole tube rolling world and I don't want to intervene in a running discussion. I'm considering the Lyr and really like a rather warm sound. What would you recommend?

And sorry if this sounds stupid, a few months back I didn't even know what tube rolling was :) But I read that the tubes are all very old and probably not manufacured anymore. What if all tubes supplies are depleted in the future?
There are many new ones being produced. You can go to www.tubestore.com and see. This thread deals alot with the vintage tubes msde in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Of course you are right those aren't being made anymore! So why listen to a 40 yr old tube versus a new one. Well I think many would agree they sound better. So a few thousand posts later, many different tubes mentioned. My favorites are the 6n23p Voskhods and Reflectors. They can be bought in different qualities at different prices. But a decent pr can be bought for $30-$40 a pr. Happy tube rolling!

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,515 of 23,494
Bugle Boy Straight Man D getter... just got two of them from an Aussie seller for a very nice price 
biggrin.gif
  Really hoping they're in good shape, better than those Sylvania 6922 D getters, which sound fantastic, but may be on the verge of death.  Haven't had time to look for date stamps, but being D getters, they must be late '50s, yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back