Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,487 of 23,494
Wow noon on the Lyr! I never get much past 10 o'clock - does the top of the Lyr get hot? Btw - I believe that metalic coating is refered to as the getter 'flashing' as oppose to the getter. But I guess some folks use just 'getter' for short. I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm rarely past 11, though IIRC another pair of tubes I have requires a bit more juice with the HE-500s, so I'm not too surprised.  Maybe it has something to do with the age of the tubes.  I did recently switch from a dying old PC to a slightly more modern laptop, but it's still foobar2000 via USB out to Bifrost to Lyr, so I doubt PC vs. laptop would matter.  With the Q701s and SR-225s I rarely approach 10 o'clock.  The whole damn unit gets hot, but with the socket savers I can still use the volume knob 
wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

"A getter is a deposit of reactive material that is placed inside a vacuum system, for the purpose of completing and maintaining the vacuum."

I recall a discussion about getter vs. getter holder vs. just-use-getter-to-describe-the-shape-cuz-that's-what-everyone-does... @ Audio Asylum.  Fun stuff.  I'm happy to keep calling the physical piece the getter, as that's accepted parlance.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,489 of 23,494

If the text is legible on the Teslas, this site can be useful for dating:

http://tubes-store.com/article_info.php?articles_id=5

Thanks!  Yep, it's pretty clear.  I'll have a look....

I see "158" with "YH" below that, so, guessing August 1968.  The printing is really nice, actually, as are the pins.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,490 of 23,494
Yeah, I'm rarely past 11, though IIRC another pair of tubes I have requires a bit more juice with the HE-500s, so I'm not too surprised.  Maybe it has something to do with the age of the tubes.  I did recently switch from a dying old PC to a slightly more modern laptop, but it's still foobar2000 via USB out to Bifrost to Lyr, so I doubt PC vs. laptop would matter.  With the Q701s and SR-225s I rarely approach 10 o'clock.  The whole damn unit gets hot, but with the socket savers I can still use the volume knob :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

"A getter is a deposit of reactive material that is placed inside a vacuum
 system, for the purpose of completing and maintaining the vacuum."

I recall a discussion about getter vs. getter holder vs. just-use-getter-to-describe-the-shape-cuz-that's-what-everyone-does... @ Audio Asylum.  Fun stuff.  I'm happy to keep calling the physical piece the getter, as that's accepted parlance.
Thanks for setting straight on the getter parlance. Yes, if the Lyr get so hot you can't touch the volume knob - that would not be good! LOL!! The heat from the case is from the solid state Mosfet output transistors running in class 'A'. It appears that the case is the thermal cooling for these toasty bits, as opposed to cooling fins.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,491 of 23,494
Speaking of toastie Class A amps. Over many years and many amps, Class A solid state Mosfets in particular seem to sound best - very warm. They should be run for several hours before listening. In fact, I turn them on in the morning and let them idle all day, or listen to them. My office amp is run 10hrs a day. Same for the Lyr, if I'm even planning on listening that day. The amps run, fully warmed up, sweeter sounding. Cold they have a touch of hardness. The downside tube life, and a very small increase in electricity usage.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,496 of 23,494
A while back, Schiit used to offer Tungsram ECC85 as an option for the Lyr, but no longer. I'm kinda curious about these tubes. Does anyone know if these tubes from eBay seller TubeMaze are the same as what Schiit used to sell?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-2x-Tungsram-EI-NOS-NIB-6AQ8-ECC85-6N1-tubes-Ships-from-US-/181321881496?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a37a05798

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,497 of 23,494
  A while back, Schiit used to offer Tungsram ECC85 as an option for the Lyr, but no longer. I'm kinda curious about these tubes. Does anyone know if these tubes from eBay seller TubeMaze are the same as what Schiit used to sell?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-2x-Tungsram-EI-NOS-NIB-6AQ8-ECC85-6N1-tubes-Ships-from-US-/181321881496?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a37a05798

Well...I can't speak for the sound quality, but I ordered a pair of Tungsram ECC85s from that exact seller via ebay. They sent me a "matched pair" with completely different getters in them.
eek.gif

What do you expect for $29 bucks?

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,498 of 23,494

Well...I can't speak for the sound quality, but I ordered a pair of Tungsram ECC85s from that exact seller via ebay. They sent me a "matched pair" with completely different getters in them.
eek.gif

What do you expect for $29 bucks?

Ah, well, hope springs eternal! Thanks for the heads-up. You know, these stock GEs are starting to sound better all the time...
happy_face1.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,499 of 23,494

Ah, well, hope springs eternal! Thanks for the heads-up. You know, these stock GEs are starting to sound better all the time...
happy_face1.gif

LOL.  There are some not expensive alternatives to explore: some Amperexes, Voskhod Rockets... hell, the 1968 Tesla E88CCs I just got from Russia are excellent for the $$$.

Love your nick and avatar.  Watch out for that Hamlet guy.  He may be mad north-north-west, but when the wind is southerly, he knows a hawk from a handsaw 
wink.gif

Cheers from... central VA 
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,500 of 23,494
My setup is Foobar2000 -> ASUS Maximus VI Impact Mobo (TOSLINK 24/192) -> Audioengine D1 -> Schiit Lyr (Late 70's Voskhods OR Amperex OG tubes) -> DT880.  

I LOVE this setup, but I'd like to try and open the soundstage a bit more.  Other than that, I just love to stare at the Lyr.

I'm mainly a Jazz / Classical kinda guy entering into the tube rolling arena.  This weekend a friend is going to a radio/hobbyist get together in NC, so I should be able to get a bunch of interesting tubes.  I'm finding that the stories behind these tubes are more interesting to me than most of the tubes themselves.  Example: the fact I possibly own tubes from the Russian space program and can use them in a headphone amplifier is just downright cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back