Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,547 of 23,494
So from the recent posts I backtracked, it seems the Voskhods are the new bass kings?
Could it be time to dethrone the Bugle Boys?
smily_headphones1.gif

They do have some nice bass.

I like the bass I get from my '67 Orange Globes and '61 BB Straight Man pair, but my new pair of late '50s D getter BB SMs I'm burning in are less than impressive on the low end.  In a word, they're weak.  Granted, I've only put 25 hours or so on them, but I don't think they're truly NOS.  Maybe they'll open up, but compared to almost every other pair I own, these roll off way too much down low.  Respectable on the mids/upper mids/highs, however.  Overall a bit of a let down.  I mean, even my airy '66 RTC E188CCs have more impact in lower reaches.  So, the burn-in continues.

The '68 Tesla E88CCs I got recently have fantastic bass, and are no slouches in the full range.

And as I write this, I'm tempted to kick the D getter BBs to the curb and give the '60s Reflectors their turn.  Decisions decisions 
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,549 of 23,494
They do have some nice bass.

I like the bass I get from my '67 Orange Globes and '61 BB Straight Man pair, but my new pair of late '50s D getter BB SMs I'm burning in are less than impressive on the low end.  In a word, they're weak.  Granted, I've only put 25 hours or so on them, but I don't think they're truly NOS.  Maybe they'll open up, but compared to almost every other pair I own, these roll off way too much down low.  Respectable on the mids/upper mids/highs, however.  Overall a bit of a let down.  I mean, even my airy '66 RTC E188CCs have more impact in lower reaches.  So, the burn-in continues.

The '68 Tesla E88CCs I got recently have fantastic bass, and are no slouches in the full range.

And as I write this, I'm tempted to kick the D getter BBs to the curb and give the '60s Reflectors their turn.  Decisions decisions :wink:

I like the BBs but the soundstage is kind of shrunk compared to the stock GEs. Hence I'm wondering if the Voskhods can help in that regard while retaining the same (or better) quality low end.

The Voskhods are priced around the same as the BBs so its easier on the pocket. :)

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,550 of 23,494
So from the recent posts I backtracked, it seems the Voskhods are the new bass kings?
Could it be time to dethrone the Bugle Boys? :)
The most consistent comment I get from folks who have tried the 6n23p, is the excellent bass. I think that is a pretty universal trait for these. That said, from my own experience in direct comparisons, the Amperex CEP-USN have excellent bass as well.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,551 of 23,494
Btw did anyone see Dave Mahler is selling most of his 58 Flagship headphone collection. He has a thread dedicated to this epic sale. He's planning on keeping just 5 - one being the HD800s. Speaking of sales, the new Audio Advisor just arrived. For 1st time the Lyr was in it! In fact, it was featured. They listed the compatible tubes including the 6n1p, but not the 6n23p! I'll have to e-mail them about that. The 6n1p although compatible, really didn't sound that great to my ears.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,553 of 23,494
If you're looking for mint condition Siemens and Halske E88CC Gray Shield matched pair, I just listed a perfect pair on the For Sale Forum.
                    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''S O L D'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,555 of 23,494
  If you're looking for mint condition Siemens and Halske E88CC Gray Shield matched pair, I just listed a perfect pair on the For Sale Forum.

Nice! and an excellent price.  If I hadn't recently bought some '69 CCas from a German eBayer, I'd be all over these.  Someone's gonna be happy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,556 of 23,494
Headsup! Beware seller frankmountcastle on ebay. He just burned me. Showed picutes of a rare 6n23p Refector, with sort of a triple mica and wire getter post. Then sends the common dual getter versions. Just openned a case with ebay. I notice he has a new listening.

Sorry for your troubles, but thanks a lot for the heads up.  Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,559 of 23,494
Anyone try modifying this amp yet? I'm thinking I'm done with 6DJ8's for a bit... maybe make up some adapters to run octals... I'm gonna take a stab at this when I get home in a few weeks.

I've just seen component upgrades put into a Lyr, I think you can find a thread on here showing some of what was done.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,560 of 23,494
Btw did anyone see Dave Mahler is selling most of his 58 Flagship headphone collection. He has a thread dedicated to this epic sale. He's planning on keeping just 5 - one being the HD800s. Speaking of sales, the new Audio Advisor just arrived. For 1st time the Lyr was in it! In fact, it was featured. They listed the compatible tubes including the 6n1p, but not the 6n23p! I'll have to e-mail them about that. The 6n1p although compatible, really didn't sound that great to my ears.

I can't remember now, but do you recall if he owns either part of the Orpheus kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back