Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 10, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #14,866 of 23,494
Well thanx for the words of encouragement. At least I’ll interpret it that way. I’ll let my system and ears be the final judge.
Exactly. A bit of trial amd error and see what works for you

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #14,867 of 23,494
Guilty as charged. But I always mean it at the time, lol. My 'Holy Grails' in chronological order: Philips Miniwatt E188CC's, Holland Pinched Waists, Telefunken E188CC's and (lately) TS 2C51's. I will say that I still have all of these in
my tube stash and all still find their way into the Woo for a reunion of sorts.
I wasnt referrimg to you Bill. Even though you are great advocate for the united nations.

Its more people that swear they have found the most transparent thing and then later concede it may not have been

I too have had my own journey in styles and sound preference and wallet abuse.

Ps the gec 6as7g tubes are the best ever!!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #14,869 of 23,494
I wasnt referrimg to you Bill. Even though you are great advocate for the united nations.

Its more people that swear they have found the most transparent thing and then later concede it may not have been

I too have had my own journey in styles and sound preference and wallet abuse.

Ps the gec 6as7g tubes are the best ever!!

But I want to be guilty. You know, Catholic school and all. Plus at Preacher Sammy's last tent revival he encouraged his rabid crowd of "followers" to stone the sins right out of me. Trust me that is NOT a place you want to find yourself. I thought maybe taking the guilty plea on your post might help.

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #14,870 of 23,494
So your talking about these tubes?
Reflektor '74 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields

Man, I thought these tubes were incredible from everything I read. I also didn’t pay the asking price and got them for under $100 for the pair which I thought was really fair.
I understand everyone’s ears are different and I’ll have the opportunity in a few days to find out how my ears like or dislike them.

The 1975 version was supposed to be the best version and a noticeable step up from the '74. I had 4 or 5 pairs of the 75's at one point. I like them a lot. Not as much as the the 5670 variant though. And, as I have said, not as much as the WE tubes.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #14,871 of 23,494
I find it a little amusing when members here swear black and blue thay have found the ultimate setup or item and two months later have moved on to something else that is the ultimate and bagged the first one

Well, you can say that. But, the 5670 tubes, specifically the WE "JW" 2C51 tubes, were an absolute revelation to my ears. I never in a million years thought I would sell all of my Siemens CCa and Telefunken CCa tubes. No way, no how! Yet, here we are! I am not one to jump on bandwagons and I find the characterization insulting.

Nov 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #14,873 of 23,494
Look what just showed up in my mailbox today. Wish me luck. Lol
1957 5670 Black P silver shield 3 Mica top getter

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #14,874 of 23,494
Well, you can say that. But, the 5670 tubes, specifically the WE "JW" 2C51 tubes, were an absolute revelation to my ears. I never in a million years thought I would sell all of my Siemens CCa and Telefunken CCa tubes. No way, no how! Yet, here we are! I am not one to jump on bandwagons and I find the characterization insulting.
You know i was not actually talking about anyone on this thread but if you, like Bill, want to plead guilty then that’k ok with me :)

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #14,876 of 23,494
Hope this isn't a silly question but can you stack socket savers to elevate tubes even further?
Yep. That's the only way to get big tubes like the 6C8Gs and their adapters clear of the top of the Lyr.

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #14,879 of 23,494
Not so much a bandwagon as a revolving door. To me the tube rolling satisfies that that nasty little upgraditus at a fraction of the cost of components. The introduction of the 5670 tubes may have saved the nm24 from the scrapheap. At least with the iha6 as the amp. Softening the treble while increasing the detail and maintaining musicality. The chrome domes did the same for the lyr and vibro but with lushness over technical ability . So guilty as well.

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #14,880 of 23,494
Yes TK. Bought those after the cursed grammpas

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back