Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 1, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,401 of 23,494
From his web page, Grading and Matching Small Signal Tubes :

Quote:
Platinum - Sometimes you just want the cream of the crop... Whether it's personal preference or a difficult circuit, our customers demand the absolute best. So for this customer, we offer Platinum grade. The difference between Gold Grade and Platinum Grade is a measurable difference in triode balance. Small signal tubes such as 6922, 12AX7, 12AT7, and others are like two tubes in one glass envelope. That is why they are called "Dual Triode." Triode balance in Platinum Graded tubes is typically 10% or tighter...

And regarding the Telefunken E88CC, it doesn't appear he has a shortage of Platinum grade E88CC's:
In fact... it's the best testing tube I have ever had here regardless of brand. Not only do they test at 100% or more for emissions and transconductance on both our Amplitrex and Triplett 3444A, 97% of them test to our Platinum grade standards... meaning a triode balance of 10% or tighter. I challenge anybody to come here and see how they test in person. I will take master packs of 100, and you pick one at random, and we’ll test it.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,403 of 23,494
I received a pair of Platinum grade E88CC Tele’s I ordered from Kevin at Upscale. However, the first tube tested T1-11100, T2-12800 (15%) and the other T1-11000, T2-11500 (4%). So I emailed Kevin saying I wanted to exchange the gold graded one for a Platinum, which is what I ordered. Reluctantly he is sending a replacement.

We’ll see what he sends me.

Did you validate using your own tester?

ckc

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,404 of 23,494
Did you validate using your own tester?

ckc

No, I don't have a tester. Like ThurstonX said, the test results from Upscale are on the box labels.

Quote:
The test numbers are written on stickers stuck to the boxes.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,405 of 23,494
Just got a pair of Amperex OGs that I have been in the process of listening to that were IMO a big improvement over the original tubes. Got them for <$50 as well which was pretty decent for the improvement.

+1

IMO, Orange Globes made in the 60's with O getter sound the best. They are great for rock and electronica music. For female vocal, they are a bit too forward/in your face sounding.

ckc

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,407 of 23,494
  I received a pair of Platinum grade E88CC Tele’s I ordered from Kevin at Upscale. However, the first tube tested T1-11100, T2-12800 (15%) and the other T1-11000, T2-11500 (4%). So I emailed Kevin saying I wanted to exchange the gold graded one for a Platinum, which is what I ordered. Reluctantly he is sending a replacement.
We’ll see what he sends me.

The first pair I received, ordered Gold, measured 23%, 26%, certainly not Gold to his 20% or better standard. I complained to him and he invoked his fudge factor, "available stock". I quoted his description "97% Platinum", etc, see my previous post #2271 for more details. My second Platinum pair are 2%,3%. Kevin remarks on his website something about his high standards and Upscales "reputation", hmmmm...Anyway, glad to see he is sending you a replacement. These really are great sounding tubes, it's too bad WE have to enforce "his" standards. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,408 of 23,494
Hey guys! I just got a new pair of K712 Pro's to go with my Lyr and I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by how they sound. A few people have recommended picking up some new tubes so I figured I'd drop by and see what you guys recommend. I normally listen to electronic and rock music for what it's worth!

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2,409 of 23,494
  Hey guys! I just got a new pair of K712 Pro's to go with my Lyr and I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by how they sound. A few people have recommended picking up some new tubes so I figured I'd drop by and see what you guys recommend. I normally listen to electronic and rock music for what it's worth!

Thanks!

Did you have the Lyr before you got the K712's and were happy with it? If so what else did you use it with?

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #2,410 of 23,494

Did you have the Lyr before you got the K712's and were happy with it? If so what else did you use it with?

Yep! I've had it for about a year now (loving every moment) and I was using a pair of DT770 250ohms. For the tubes, I can't remember the ones I have now by model number but they were the alternates to the stock tubes that Schiit used to sell. They were super cheap, like 40 for the pair, but I was unemployed and money was a little tight haha. I never got around to swapping them out, so I'm thinking it could very well be the tubes.

Also, I decided to put on some blues and jazz and holy hell do these cans react to that style of music much better but I'd still like to see what I can accomplish with some new tubes.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #2,411 of 23,494

Yep! I've had it for about a year now (loving every moment) and I was using a pair of DT770 250ohms. For the tubes, I can't remember the ones I have now by model number but they were the alternates to the stock tubes that Schiit used to sell. They were super cheap, like 40 for the pair, but I was unemployed and money was a little tight haha. I never got around to swapping them out, so I'm thinking it could very well be the tubes.

Also, I decided to put on some blues and jazz and holy hell do these cans react to that style of music much better but I'd still like to see what I can accomplish with some new tubes.

I found that upgrading from the stock tubes improved the bass a little in my cans (Alpha Dogs) but didn't dramatically shift the sound signature of my HPs, That being said my upgrade tubes were some Amperex Orange Globes so they aren't at the top of the tube pile by any means.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,412 of 23,494
I saw a recommendation on a thread about swapping to Russian 6H23n tubes or Tesla Gold Pins, have you had any experience with either of these?

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,413 of 23,494
I just got my Siemens Cca tubes for the Lyr 2. The sound on these tubes has truly a 3D soundstage. I put on RAM by Daft Punk. Giorgio by Moroder. You feel like you are in the cafe with Giorgio.

The one thing that was not good was the wimpy bass. The bass on these tubes was not as good as the Telefunken tubes.

Otherwise, one if the best tubes I own.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,414 of 23,494
Did you have a Lyr 1 at all? I'm curious the major difference between the two and if it's worth selling the 1 for the 2

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,415 of 23,494
I have a Lyr1. I have packed it up to sell it. But initial difference I find is that the Lyr2 has a lower noise floor. So more enjoyable. SQ wise, there is small bit of improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back