Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,387 of 23,494
I got some 1975 silver grid 6n23p reflector's. You were right, more detail than the Siemens 6922. They have a lot more gain in the tube too, I forgot to turn the volume down when I switched tubes and boom. Have you noticed all these 74 and 75 tubes, from both plants, have this human scribbling on the top mica? It isn't on any 71, 72, 73 tube I have.

Edit - The Siemens do have this strange warmth to them that the 6n23p's didn't have though, but these 1975's mids are so muchbetter than the 1978 rockets I have.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2,388 of 23,494
I got some 1975 silver grid 6n23p reflector's. You were right, more detail than the Siemens 6922. They have a lot more gain in the tube too, I forgot to turn the volume down when I switched tubes and boom. Have you noticed all these 74 and 75 tubes, from both plants, have this human scribbling on the top mica? It isn't on any 71, 72, 73 tube I have.

Edit - The Siemens do have this strange warmth to them that the 6n23p's didn't have though, but these 1975's mids are so muchbetter than the 1978 rockets I have.
Well the HGs have silver shields ( the electrostatic shield right below the single wire getter post). The 'grid' many refer to is in the middle of the top mica. I've noticed this grid can be silver or gray on the lesser gray shield versions. If you post a picture I can tell you which version you have. The other issue I've mentioned is the matching of sections and balance between tubes. When properly matched the sound stage is just huge, bigger then the Siemens CCa, way bigger then the '66 Tellies E88CCs, even bigger then the Amperex pinched waists.

I find the Holy Grails very musical, never etchy or harsh, and have this incredible flow to them. They're simply the best 6922 type tube I've heard.

How many hours do you have on them? They'll smooth out and open up - out to 200 hrs.

I agree the detail is extrodinary!

Good get on those, they're very rare!!

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,389 of 23,494
I did share a pair of these Holy Grail 6n23p's with a fellow Headfier. He emailed his comments. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing, but in the interest of tube science I feel I must!

'Now - regarding the '75...
I received them yesterday and of course I couldn't resist sneaking in some listening time. I fired them up for a couple of hours before listening as I usually do to get them warmed up. My initial reaction was What is going on here, it sounds strange, different and very different than anything I've heard so far. It took me a bit to realize I was in the presence of greatness lol. After my ears adjusted I was in for a musical journey unlike any other. The clarity was unreal along with stellar highs and mids. Sound stage and instrument separation was so detailed you could practically pin point where the instrument was placed. In addition I could hear clear and distinct vocals in the chorus which before were mudded together. Bass on the '73 "kicks" harder but the '75 sounds better, more true and detailed. I have so much more learning to do in this new musical sound scape. I wanted to listen for 30 min since it was 11:30...ended up listening to 2am Happy camper so far.

Thanks for the great tubes and advice, i cant thank you enough. Ill give you some updates as I continue listening.'

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #2,390 of 23,494
He then emailed me yesterday with a followup.

'Hi- listening to them right now :) Man these things are opening up so spectacularly it's unreal.  Bass is perfect on the spot clarity, feel, tone and kick.  I'm in audio heaven from end to end.  I don't know which side is happier, left or right.  This is the way music was intended to be listened to and heard.  I hope you kept or have some of these miraculous tubes for yourself!!!  Mine wont be going anywhere soon.'

Well after a year of searching I have only a half dozen spare pairs of these Holy Grail Russians, that test perfectly.

They truly are exceptional!

Cheers!!
:beerchug:

Edit PS You nailed the description of these very special tubes - couldn't say it better myself!

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,391 of 23,494
Probably a question answered but what are a pair of tubes that provide the best SQ <$100?

I do enjoy a warm, smooth sound. Maybe a little more mid-centric but I still like my bass and treble extensions. 

I would prefer to stay away from ebay and go with upscale audio or similar companies because I'm from Canada.

EDIT: Using the lyr with the Alpha Dogs if that matters!

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #2,392 of 23,494
Probably a question answered but what are a pair of tubes that provide the best SQ <$100?

[COLOR=333333]I do enjoy a warm, smooth sound. Maybe a little more mid-centric but I still like my bass and treble extensions. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I would prefer to stay away from ebay and go with upscale audio or similar companies because I'm from Canada.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]EDIT: Using the lyr with the Alpha Dogs if that matters![/COLOR]

For warm and smooth in that price range give the 1959 Bugle Boy D Getter a try. This seller is very reputable and well known on this thread. I've purchase several tubes from him. He's usually pretty good at accepting reasonable offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321444001632

ckc

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2,393 of 23,494
I did share a pair of these Holy Grail 6n23p's with a fellow Headfier. He emailed his comments. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing, but in the interest of tube science I feel I must!

'Now - regarding the '75...
I received them yesterday and of course I couldn't resist sneaking in some listening time. I fired them up for a couple of hours before listening as I usually do to get them warmed up. My initial reaction was What is going on here, it sounds strange, different and very different than anything I've heard so far. It took me a bit to realize I was in the presence of greatness lol. After my ears adjusted I was in for a musical journey unlike any other. The clarity was unreal along with stellar highs and mids. Sound stage and instrument separation was so detailed you could practically pin point where the instrument was placed. In addition I could hear clear and distinct vocals in the chorus which before were mudded together. Bass on the '73 "kicks" harder but the '75 sounds better, more true and detailed. I have so much more learning to do in this new musical sound scape. I wanted to listen for 30 min since it was 11:30...ended up listening to 2am Happy camper so far.

Thanks for the great tubes and advice, i cant thank you enough. Ill give you some updates as I continue listening.'

It would be helpful to know which tubes he's comparing to and headphone used.

ckc

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,394 of 23,494
It would be helpful to know which tubes he's comparing to and headphone used.

ckc
HE500s, driven by the Bifrost to the Lyr. Not sure of other tubes. But sound is sound. He was comparing his Lyr to the much more expensive Woo WA7. His friends WA7, was sounding better. After trying the '73 SWGP Voskhods, he said the Lyr had surpassed the WA7.

With the HGs - well his comments speak for themselves. I asked him to post directly, lest someone think I'm making this up.
:D

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,395 of 23,494

I do enjoy a warm, smooth sound. Maybe a little more mid-centric but I still like my bass and treble extensions. 

I would prefer to stay away from ebay and go with upscale audio or similar companies because I'm from Canada.

EDIT: Using the lyr with the Alpha Dogs if that matters!

Just got a pair of Amperex OGs that I have been in the process of listening to that were IMO a big improvement over the original tubes. Got them for <$50 as well which was pretty decent for the improvement.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,397 of 23,494
I received a pair of Platinum grade E88CC Tele’s I ordered from Kevin at Upscale. However, the first tube tested T1-11100, T2-12800 (15%) and the other T1-11000, T2-11500 (4%). So I emailed Kevin saying I wanted to exchange the gold graded one for a Platinum, which is what I ordered. Reluctantly he is sending a replacement.
We’ll see what he sends me.

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,398 of 23,494
  I received a pair of Platinum grade E88CC Tele’s I ordered from Kevin at Upscale. However, the first tube tested T1-11100, T2-12800 (15%) and the other T1-11000, T2-11500 (4%). So I emailed Kevin saying I wanted to exchange the gold graded one for a Platinum, which is what I ordered. Reluctantly he is sending a replacement.
We’ll see what he sends me.

not so "upscale" after all...

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,400 of 23,494
At least Upscale agreed to replace them.  The test numbers are written on stickers stuck to the boxes.  My platinum pair tested almost the same.  Strange they don't look for more closely matching numbers when pairing them.  Mine are both 1968, one from Jan. 2nd, the other from Aug. 12th.

Don't want to say too much about the sound, but after 15 hours or so (three or four days ago) they sounded awesome.  Maybe more holographic than the Siemens CCas, vocals slightly recessed such that they didn't seem directly between my ears.  Bass was excellent.  That said, they need a bit more burn-in time before I compare them to anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back